The Titfield Thunderbolt

Not Jeremy

11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I presume that many of the excellent photos must have resided all these years in the Studiocanal archive, without the majority of enthusiasts being aware of their existence?

from what I've read so far, a local chap who was present during filming, took extensive photos behind the scenes of filming and the cast, and they were left to the author upon his passing, so the majority of the pictures are unseen & unpublished. 

there are some fantastic pictures featured. Thunderbolt on its gauge clearing runs, filming the museum extraction scene & so on. 

the 1 and only criticism i have, the beautiful illustrations of the film trains go over the fold in the page, which ruins them slightly. This is Unavoidable unless they were published smaller which would then loose some of the detail. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I presume that many of the excellent photos must have resided all these years in the Studiocanal archive, without the majority of enthusiasts being aware of their existence?

I saw some dodgy geeza who had some in a portfolio case a number of years back at WellRails... 

Actually it was quite a number of years back as I remember Iain Rice sat with Bob Barlow's bit of trainset (the same bit that was at RailLarks) there too.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

Actually it was quite a number of years back as I remember Iain Rice sat with Bob Barlow's bit of trainset (the same bit that was at RailLarks) there too.

2017, if I remember correctly.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Along with the Big Boy's Bumper Book of S&D track diagrams, I gladly picked up a copy of The Titfield Thunderbolt at Railwells. A lovely book, copiously illustrated and written with real affection for the subject and the people associated with it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/12/2023 at 07:57, Re6/6 said:

....and what a joy it was to see it yet again!

I was never a great fan . I always thought it was a bit twee and the stereotypical vicar ,of the time ,I find very annoying . However I did watch it yesterday afternoon and was strangely enchanted by it . Loved the railway scenes obviously , but the village seems very old England and delightful . Even the inside of the pub , when was the last time you were in a pub like that ! Quite a charming film I thought . I’m looking at it in a new light . For me the star of the show was the 14xx though . 

Quite a few of the Ealing comedies had that charm . The Ladykillers, of course , but there is one , which is now politically very incorrect , called the Bridal Path . It features an islander from the outer Hebrides visiting the mainland to find a wife . It’s filmed around the Oban and Appin areas with a fine view of the Ballachulish branch train hauled by 0-4-4T . That would have been a fine line to travel on . 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Legend said:

but the village seems were very old England and delightful .

It hasn't changed much.  I say "it", the villages of Monkton Combe and Limpley Stoke were the locations for Titfield, Wallingford being Bristol (Temple Meads).  Having lived within a mile of Titfield for nearly 20 years, I find it fascinating to see the difference (or not) in the locality.  Each view produces something different, this time a view of Midford signal box, which I've missed before.

Top stuff!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

It hasn't changed much.  I say "it", the villages of Monkton Combe and Limpley Stoke were the locations for Titfield, Wallingford being Bristol (Temple Meads).  Having lived within a mile of Titfield for nearly 20 years, I find it fascinating to see the difference (or not) in the locality.  Each view produces something different, this time a view of Midford signal box, which I've missed before.

Top stuff!

One thing I spotted…probably now with a different focus….was the number of trains at Temple Meads sporting chocolate & cream,some 4 years on from the demise of the GWR. And that particular location has changed a lot..well it has for me.Oh for the bustling activity of Bath Road R.I.P. But what a treat for a winter’s afternoon.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

One thing I spotted…probably now with a different focus….was the number of trains at Temple Meads sporting chocolate & cream,some 4 years on from the demise of the GWR.

Accidental, or not?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

No,I think not.

Probably only partially 'everyday', one engine in particular was very conveniently sited and unusually clean for the period.

5 hours ago, Legend said:

I was never a great fan . I always thought it was a bit twee and the stereotypical vicar ,of the time ,I find very annoying . However I did watch it yesterday afternoon and was strangely enchanted by it . Loved the railway scenes obviously , but the village seems were very old England and delightful . Even the inside of the pub , when was the last time you were in a pub like that ! Quite a charming film I thought . I’m looking at it in a new light . For me the star of the show was the 14xx though . 

Quite a few of the Ealing comedies had that charm . The Ladykillers, of course , but there is one , which is now politically very incorrect , called the Bridal Path . It features an islander from the outer Hebrides visiting the mainland to find a wife . It’s filmed around the Oban and Appin areas with a fine view of the Ballachulish branch train hauled by 0-4-4T . That would have been a fine line to travel on . 

'The Bridal Path' gets red gular repet showing on Talking Pictures although it hasn't been on for a few weeks.    A superbly hilarious concoction of misunderstandings

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am happy to report that the first print run of the book has sold through and a reprint is currently in production. Stock should be available from the middle of January.

It has a number of (very minor) corrections and some small grammatical "improvements", and also a new picture showing the late Gordon Dando looking very dashing with his bike outside Monkton Combe (Titfield) Station during a lull in filming.

1-thumbnail_IMG_0257.jpg.ab15bd1ee004105afac585cef84a063f.jpg

For purchasers of the first print, here is the additional picture. It has been very kindly made available to me by Gordon Dando's family, to whom I am very grateful. It has already appeared on a Titfield Facebook page, but if anyone wishes to share it from here then please credit the source to the family of the late Gordon Dando.

It appears on the bottom of page 71 in the reprinted book.

Simon

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

I am happy to report that the first print run of the book has sold through and a reprint is currently in production. Stock should be available from the middle of January.

It has a number of (very minor) corrections and some small grammatical "improvements", and also a new picture showing the late Gordon Dando looking very dashing with his bike outside Monkton Combe (Titfield) Station during a lull in filming.

1-thumbnail_IMG_0257.jpg.ab15bd1ee004105afac585cef84a063f.jpg

For purchasers of the first print, here is the additional picture. It has been very kindly made available to me by Gordon Dando's family, to whom I am very grateful. It has already appeared on a Titfield Facebook page, but if anyone wishes to share it from here then please credit the source to the family of the late Gordon Dando.

It appears on the bottom of page 71 in the reprinted book.

Simon

This isn't going to be like Windows is it?

Mind you, if the definitive work on the Titfield Thunderbolt was perfect, you wouldn't be trying to flog us an updated version every year or so!

X

Merry Christmas 

😜

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Now there's a fine idea idea Tim, but sadly I'm not sure there are any more revelations or fabulous new pics to do that. I'll bear it mind though and would just say that the reprint has got a different ISBN - so for all you completists out there.....

Confession time, I am a bit embarrassed to say that I own several copies of the David and Charles "Somerset and Dorset Railway" by Robin Atthilll:

1st print, 1967, signed by author

2nd print, 1968

3rd print, 1980, slightly amended introduction

2nd edition 1985 hardback

2nd edition 1985 softback. This is my "field" copy(!)

I did also have the Pan paperback edition but let that go a while ago as it deteriorated quite badly.

All a bit "sad puppy" - ish, but in my defence I really love the book and the railway it describes.

And, for those of a certain age, they mostly all came from Whitemans bookshop in Orange Grove.

Them were t' days....

Seasons greetings to all.

Simon

PS Captain Kernow was the "Saturday boy" in Whitemans before I was, and so all of this is mostly his fault.

Edited by Not Jeremy
ish wish
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Confession time, I am a bit embarrassed to say that I own several copies of

Ah I own a home library and a work one just in case you need to look it up ‘now’. Mind you a bedroom library for those mornings you need to let the day bed in a bit before starting the inspection sounds worth considering. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Ah I own a home library and a work one just in case you need to look it up ‘now’. Mind you a bedroom library for those mornings you need to let the day bed in a bit before starting the inspection sounds worth considering. 

Hmm, good idea.

I already do that with digital radios - they are everywhere!

Radio 4 extra is my favourite, tonight at 11.30 "Old Harry's Game", and so much more besides, "Ed Reardons Week" ticks most of my boxes....

And they don't broadcast any news either - Ignorance is bliss, maybe(?)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Hmm, good idea.

I already do that with digital radios - they are everywhere!

Radio 4 extra is my favourite, tonight at 11.30 "Old Harry's Game", and so much more besides, "Ed Reardons Week" ticks most of my boxes....

And they don't broadcast any news either - Ignorance is bliss, maybe(?)

Im another big fan of Ed Reardons Week, still mourning the loss of Elgar!

Ed Reardon would definitely be someone worth following on RMWeb - not sure how long he would last! 😊

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What a great thought Jerry, he’d certainly enjoy the periodic loops of correction and denial over grammar, not to mention obsessing over livery detail, getting the exactly correct shade of grey and “scale colour”, of course.

Which railway company would he most like I wonder, probably something Edwardian?

I guess he’d mostly be an armchair modeller given his “peripatetic” lifestyle.

His son Jake probably inherited Ed’s loft layout when he was chucked out by Mrs Ed, it was all N gauge and he still can’t get those Farish locos to run properly….

Perhaps Ed is already with us??

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

What a great thought Jerry, he’d certainly enjoy the periodic loops of correction and denial over grammar, not to mention obsessing over livery detail, getting the exactly correct shade of grey and “scale colour”, of course.

Types someone obsessed with the minutae of the Titfield Thunderbolt... 😁  Merry Christmas and all Good Wishes for your endeavours in the New Year 🎄

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Types someone obsessed with the minutae of the Titfield Thunderbolt... 😁  Merry Christmas and all Good Wishes for your endeavours in the New Year 🎄

Thank you very much Mike, also for your recent(ish) email with the GER coach list, much appreciated.

Have a good Christmas!

I do have other obsessions too, you know.....

Simon

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like it was worth waiting for theh reprint (alas the bookshelves are too limited here to hold much in theh way of reprinted/multiple editions (3 editions of British Railway Signalling from Ian Allan take up less space that a single volume of the reprint version of MacDermottt - which I haven't looked at since I got a complete 1st edition).  And complete sets of GWR/WR Signalling Regulations from 1936 10 1972 tend to take up room with all their reprints & amendments).

Anyway I think the New Year looks like a suitable time to invest in the Titfield reprint.  

Merry Christmas to all

• Like 3