Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Metropolitan Railway E Class - Met No.1

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

Radley produced both white metal and later resin kits of the Dreadnoughts but since Phil's death, Radley has I believe ceased trading.

There is talk of them being taken over by another company.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Schooner said:

Gosh, well that's a positive reception!

Anniversary aside, my finger is obviously well off the pulse. Given...

E Class: 7 built, 1 preserved. 24-69 years service (primary - ultimate) with 1 operator. No major variety in detail or livery.

A/B class: c.150 built, 2 preserved. 43-84 years service with the Met and successors, also in use with more than 10 British operators (on top of the Met and District, these include the Cambrian, LNW, LSW and Midland Railways in numbers to challenge the E class; also GWR and SER and numerous private owners) and sizable use in Spain (where the other is preserved), Germany and Australia. Enormous scope for liveries and detail differences, up to and including tender conversions.

met-b-55_026.jpg

Great fit for many of Hattons coaches and the small layouts (inc tight curves) they are spawning and supporting.

met-23-at-quainton-circa-1933.jpg

...and especially considering Rapido is moving into the 'generic' but proto-literate space with their Minkalikes and RCH stock (woop woop!), I know which I thought made the most viable proposition. No major point to make, it's just interesting to see that my logic is so far off the money!

A

Agree. A Cambrian loco would be very well received with a lot of rolling stock available to ride along behind it (albeit nothing RTR unless Hattons add the very attractive Cambrian livery to their future coach plans).

Edited by Footy
Typo
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Curlew said:

I wonder how much this was a Met design and how much a Hawthorn Leslie design? Could make a great generic loco for fictitious railways too?

Given that the first three were built at Neasden in 1896 and 1898, and the other four from Hawthorn Leslie followed later (1900/1901), I think it's fairly obviously a Met design.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, locoholic said:

Excellent - I've cobbled together a rake of Graham Farish teak suburban coaches for my Heljan Met electric loco, but would invest in some Dreadnoughts, or the Chesham set that ended up on the Bluebell Railway.

Me too! I found the LNER lettering rubs off quite easily. I made some Metropolitan decals for mine, if anyone wants there here's a link to download (the whole image is A5, so you can print 2 to a A4 page): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByGv4aFrRaOxYkZPaEJMdk5NVGM/view?usp=share_link&resourcekey=0-8da7Slb3b8Csy-_9IYcOSg

273520293_10102626421083504_3988788546269592259_n.jpg

IMG20230316172209.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Schooner said:

Gosh, well that's a positive reception!

Anniversary aside, my finger is obviously well off the pulse. Given...

E Class: 7 built, 1 preserved. 24-69 years service (primary - ultimate) with 1 operator. No major variety in detail or livery.

A/B class: c.150 built, 2 preserved. 43-84 years service with the Met and successors, also in use with more than 10 British operators (on top of the Met and District, these include the Cambrian, LNW, LSW and Midland Railways in numbers to challenge the E class; also GWR and SER and numerous private owners) and sizable use in Spain (where the other is preserved), Germany and Australia. Enormous scope for liveries and detail differences, up to and including tender conversions.

Given what an impossibly large number of tooling variations you'd need to produce all those variations for the A/B and its derivatives, and that Met 1 has a much more popular following, having been a high profile locomotive over the last 60 years, I am sure Rapido have taken the approach they believe will be commercially viable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I'm pretty sure they didn't as the line always seem to have been operated by an A Class engine once the original motive power was superseded.  The Es hada rather mixed lofe losing their main line passenger work during the 1920s with withdrawals starting as early as 1925 according to one source.  the survivors saw limited use in passenger wrking in the early post-war period due to poor availability of the booked engines taking Met train through ti Aylesbuty 

Whatever source you discovered suggesting the E-class withdrawals started in 1925 was, I'm afraid, simply wrong!  First two withdrawn in 1935, third in 1941, and remainder lasted until 1963/4.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Jubilee, ashburys, or dreadnoughts would be cool.

dreadnoughts i think would be the most popular accross all eras though, 3 still exist luckily up at KWVR.

Advantage of producing models of the Ashbury/Craven "Bogie stock" is that you could do them as hauled stock, as electric multiple unit stock, and as a pull-push set, (oh, and as preserved too).  And I don't think anyone else has ever done such short bogie coaches (just 40-ft) as RTR.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rasalmon said:

impossibly large number of tooling variations you'd need to produce all those variations for the A/B and its derivatives

Agreed, and I wouldn't suggest attempting the impossible: I'm reasonably sure the, for example, three variants shown in that post are achievable off one tooling with different separately fitted detail parts (cab, dome/safety valves, condensing gear or lack thereof) to a common body and each variation would be at least plausible in a variety of liveries. Not saying it's a good idea, just that it seems possible. Same reasoning as with the Ashbury stock, really :)

The point I meant to make, other than planting seeds for an A which I'd love to see RTR and have a layout design specifically in mind for, was that it's hard to judge a market from within. I've every faith that Rapido have made another sound commercial decision, and my wallet is glad it's one I'll find easy to pass on!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

The one with METROPOLITAN in large letters would be appropriate for the 1920's right up until LT in 1933.

Tho other Metropolitan lettering is a bit suspect.  Earlier lettering tended to be a crest or number surrounded by METROPOLITAN on top, and RAILWAY below in an oval shape.

The model with the earlier Metropolitan lettering and crest is noted by Rapido as representing Met 1 as preserved, 1999-2009.  Which it does.  You'd have to ask Buckinghamshire Railway Centre what their source was for that livery.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Agreed, and I wouldn't suggest attempting the impossible: I'm reasonably sure the, for example, three variants shown in that post are achievable off one tooling with different separately fitted detail parts (cab, dome/safety valves, condensing gear or lack thereof) to a common body and each variation would be at least plausible in a variety of liveries. Not saying it's a good idea, just that it seems possible. Same reasoning as with the Ashbury stock, really :)

The point I meant to make, other than planting seeds for an A which I'd love to see RTR and have a layout design specifically in mind for, was that it's hard to judge a market from within. I've every faith that Rapido have made another sound commercial decision, and my wallet is glad it's one I'll find easy to pass on!

Fair enough.  Who knows what they might do later, after they've (I hope) produced some carriages?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Some I've gained the impression the original motive power had been called Dobbin.  Don't know if that's correct.

The first two locos on the Quainton Road to Brill (Wooton Tramway) branch were a pair of Aveling Porter 0-4-0 geared locomotives (Works Nos. 807 and 846) purchased to operate the line in January and June 1872 respectively.  807 is preserved at Quainton Road.
There then followed, in 1894, Manning Wardle 0-6-0T "Huddersfield" and in 1899 another MW (K-class "Wooton No.2"). The Metropolitan took the line over later that year (1899) and the A-class were able to take over services only in 1911 following upgrading of the line for the heavier locos.

I suspect the 8mph tied in with the Aveling Porter locos.  The Duke of Buckingham used horses on his initial stretch of the tramway, around his Wooton estate, with Wooton Station built in 1871.  Steam took over (the Aveling Porter locos) when the line from Wooton to Brill was constructed the following year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wotton_railway_station_(Brill_Tramway)#/media/File:Brill_tramway_system_diagram.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is a very exciting announcement and I have already put my pre-order in. I'd absolutely love accompanying stock and an A class would be absolutely awesome, but Rapido will need us to buy Met Es and show them that making Met/LT stock is financially viable, rather than nagging them for these things now. I'm sure that if the Met Es are successful, Rapido will be looking at how to further cater for us underground modellers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

This is a very exciting announcement and I have already put my pre-order in. I'd absolutely love accompanying stock and an A class would be absolutely awesome, but Rapido will need us to buy Met Es and show them that making Met/LT stock is financially viable, rather than nagging them for these things now. I'm sure that if the Met Es are successful, Rapido will be looking at how to further cater for us underground modellers. 

This!!! 
LT is a risk, especially with the huge licence costs, so they will need to see if it actually pays off i think before committing to something else

• Agree 1

Superb.  My Dad, Ray Wood, was foreman at Neasden Steam Shed and drove L44- as well as Met F Class and the Panniers - (he's much photographed in the splendid book 'Red Panniers').  

Going to have to get this.  

He smiled at the gentle treatment given to L44 in the first steam on the Met event in the early 90s.  He said the old girl could take off like a rocket.

He spoke fondly of L44, but loved, absolutely loved, driving the Panniers- said they would pull anything.

Edited by D826
  • Like 9
  • Funny 1

On 16/03/2023 at 21:12, Jeff Smith said:

Radley produced both white metal and later resin kits of the Dreadnoughts but since Phil's death, Radley has I believe ceased trading.

Radley’s haven’t ceased trading they have paused trading.

Hopefully they will be up and running soon. What ever happens I expect that their Dreadnought fleet will continue to be available as the manufacturer still has the moulds. 

• Like 1