Metropolitan Railway E Class - Met No.1

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Does anyone know what diameter main driver and bogie axles Rapido generally uses?  I'm thinking a P4 conversion using AG wheels.

I believe they are both 2mm axles. This specific model uses wiper pick-ups and the driving axles sit in bearings (bogie wheels clip in to the bogie frame). 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/08/2023 at 12:37, rapidoandy said:

The decorated samples have arrived...

MetEpaintedSamples002.jpg.34c91b2abbb72b31b6a3d33232cacf5f.jpg

MetEpaintedSamples004.jpg.a484aa403dec37f0d8d27f30b7f8238b.jpg

MetEpaintedSamples003.jpg.767ed53cc6ae43f807ab8ba7b1bbeaf4.jpg

Huge fan of these @rapidoandy @RapidoCorbs! have both the Metropolitan liveries on pre order!

just a reflection on the dome...would a similar chrome finish to the dome on Hornby's SECR H Class be possible/achievable?

cheers, David 

hornby-wainwright-59151.webp

Edited by drt7uk
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 25/08/2023 at 18:14, RapidoCorbs said:

I believe they are both 2mm axles. This specific model uses wiper pick-ups and the driving axles sit in bearings (bogie wheels clip in to the bogie frame). 

Hornby and Bachmann generally use 3mm for the main drivers and 2mm for bogie wheels.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Always thought the dome on this version of the H Class (much like certain Dapol Prairies) spoilt the

model personally.

Well if you go and look at the real thing in preservation you will find that keeping it highly polished is the norm - and 'gold paint' simply looks naff.

051-2015-bluebell-railway-sheffield-park

Of course having the safety valve base simply picked out in said gold paint on the Hornby model rather ruins the effect - but it cannot be denied Hornbys solution ends up looking much better.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point 😉

I personally (cannot speak for the rest of the company) feel that it doesn't scale well and makes it look plasticky and toy-like. We investigated it for things like 'Lion' and were much happier with the effect of the painted finish.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, happy to report that although past the pre-order deadline, I was still able to place an order for DCC ready L44.  Amazingly the overseas shipping was the same as the VAT saving....

On receipt I will be exploring a P4 conversion.... I will document my findings!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Much like the conversation that was had in the O1 thread, I prefer this style of brass effect to the super shiny type on the Hornby H.

Neither truly captures the look of real polished brass, but at least this style is less garish and plastic looking.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Much like the conversation that was had in the O1 thread, I prefer this style of brass effect to the super shiny type on the Hornby H.

Neither truly captures the look of real polished brass, but at least this style is less garish and plastic looking.

Well we will have to agree to disagree... but I feel the metallic is a bit flat and plain and doesn't give off the same feeling... I just find it lacking, I have been impressed with another manufacturers paint finish on brass items, that for me is better, not overly shiny but has the nice warm deep colour of a polished brass... the metallic for me is a bit dated..

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

15 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Samples look nice, I am with the other guy I don't like the finish on the dome/brass work... compared to other manufacturers who seem to have moved on from this standard metallic finish, one reason I didn't order the one with too much of it on, as I do feel it's lacking.

That would be me. Big fan of your layout/models by the way !

Edited by drt7uk
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

It does, very much so. Just wish I could justify one on a SR shed layout set in WW2.

Stretching "Rule 1" a bit far 😂

Well, it might have got to New Cross, Addison Road or Wimbledon on an engineers' train, within easy striking distance of a number of Southern sheds, and needs must in wartime. Not much use if you're modelling Plymouth Friary, I admit. And no, you can't have a brass dome.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Well, it might have got to New Cross, Addison Road or Wimbledon on an engineers' train, within easy striking distance of a number of Southern sheds, and needs must in wartime. Not much use if you're modelling Plymouth Friary, I admit. And no, you can't have a brass dome.

Yeah, that's the problem. My shed is set near Portsmouth/Southampton 😄

• Friendly/supportive 2