Metropolitan Railway E Class - Met No.1

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

I loved looking at this yesterday….

with the G5 nearly here, this LT Tank, looking advanced.

Then surely a Caledonian 0-4-4T cannot be far off being picked by someone. 

The coaches must surely follow…

652B4F94-815B-4C00-A41C-48D499CC218B.jpeg

7F5D95A5-00BB-400B-87E6-EEC454A6AB63.jpeg

9C081B48-63D6-4080-975F-C0E14DE1A739.jpeg

71F191FA-AC68-4A35-B6A0-0E97F1128F0B.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Probs as you arent in the london underground model railways group on FB

The company that is producing the carriages, CDC design have already decided to drop the E class locomotive in view of the RTR model (neither company was apparently aware of the others plans). They are going ahead with the Ashbury stock and have Dreadnoughts lined up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/03/2023 at 16:56, D826 said:

Superb.  My Dad, Ray Wood, was foreman at Neasden Steam Shed and drove L44- as well as Met F Class and the Panniers - (he's much photographed in the splendid book 'Red Panniers').  

Going to have to get this.  

He smiled at the gentle treatment given to L44 in the first steam on the Met event in the early 90s.  He said the old girl could take off like a rocket.

He spoke fondly of L44, but loved, absolutely loved, driving the Panniers- said they would pull anything.

This was the last run on the Sunday evening for the first Steam on the Met in 1989 . At the time it was thought that Steam on the Met was a one off and just in case it didn’t happen again they made sure they went out style ! No gentle treatment here .

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 16/03/2023 at 15:10, AMJ said:

Perhaps a 4TC in the fake Teak as used by the steam on the Met could be used behind it with the Bo-Bo on the other end

It’s was an awful livery!

Lucky enough to see Met 1 at baker st back during the 150th anniversary celebrations, was working for chiltern at the time and purely by chance had a 2 hour PNB at Marylebone so managed to pop over to baker st and grab a video of Sarah Siddons hauling the bluebell set with No1 on the rear, staked my spit quite early on so got a half decent video (obviously the old iPhone video tech shows in the video quality!)

as it pulled in a service train pulled in on the opposite platform and blocked everyone’s view! 

I’ll definitely be ordering one soon, always enjoyed driving down the met with chiltern, my first experience of working the ‘underground’, ok a watered down bit of the system when it comes to the rules etc but still something interesting to have on the CV!

• Like 3

Dreadnought stock bodies are also available as 3D printed items from Rue d'Etropol.

Dreadnoughts were hauled by the E class, as Met. locos, from1910  when they were introduced until 1920, when the E class locos were all but replaced by the larger locos. However during WW2 when there were loco shortages  LT used E class hauling Dreadnoughts on steam services north of Ricky.

The E class never hauled the Chesham Ashbury stock (in service), but did haul Jubilee stock and the Ashbury stock as originally built. The only Jubilee stock kits I know of is sold by Roxey Mouldings. Ashbury (original) stock bodies are part of the Rue d'E 3D range sold via Shapeways. The Chesham set is available as a set of brass kits from London Road.

I understand that Hattons are going to release their generic Genesis coaches in Met. livery so could be used.

In an earlier post someone asked if the E class was used on the Brill branch. I can confirm that at least one was on the Brill branch when they dismantled it - my father's first job as a trainee fireman when he started working for LT.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Just a side note to add to the information already given.

There are book/internet photographs of E Class engines on the Chesham branch train, certainly in the 1920s and 1930s.  From working timetables and a steam stock formation drawing, the typical Chesham branch train of that era seems to have been two coaches ('Main Line Stock'/Dreadnought).  Formation was shown as a Third Brake and a Composite (one of three, surviving coach 509 in the VCT museum at Ingrow).

Edited by Engineer
clarification
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

I'm sure you could justify a route learner trip prior to the railtour

My layout (Minerva Lane) is based on an extension of the East London line that was started but never completed, Whitechapel to Cambridge Heath. 

• RMweb Premium
On 22/03/2023 at 22:38, PhilJ W said:

So that means that you could run one alongside the Accurascale J69.

I will, on my museum branch. I'm gaining quite a collection of weird and wonderful steamers for the museum. I'll have to have a Rapido cavalcade one day with the Stirling Single leading, then Thunderbolt, Met No1 and the Jones goods bringing up the rear. 

• Like 1

Had a look and a discussion at Alexandra Palace, the first Ep looks good, all round, a few things I brought up was the molded roof vents, which I thought was a little disappointing, either down to tooling reasons, or costs or a compromise on looks. All wheel pickup, some adjustments only minor apparently, but still deciding over ordering or not. Fortunately for me I have a few Ashbury (Chesham set) I 3D printed some 8 years ago now. Still on shapeways, currently, although I will probably pull them off there soon.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 26/03/2023 at 23:19, PhilJ W said:

Found this on YouTube, featuring L44 (MET No. 1).

Phil

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm sure that's my Dad driving L52, shunting at Neasden.

I have a CRColes photo here of him driving L52.  He loved the F and E class, but he adored the pannier tanks.  Said they would pull anything.  Stopping was sometimes more challenging.

Brilliant.

Best regards

Matt W

20230613_212210.jpg

Edited by D826
Completeness
  • Like 9