Metropolitan Railway E Class - Met No.1

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

The brass effect is one of those things that divides opinion in the community, so Rapido (and any other manufacturer) is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

They've made a choice, and that's that. Like it, buy it, don't like it, don't buy it. These are always our choices in hobbies 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

33 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

The brass effect is one of those things that divides opinion in the community, so Rapido (and any other manufacturer) is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

They've made a choice, and that's that. Like it, buy it, don't like it, don't buy it. These are always our choices in hobbies 😉

Indeed it always, will, its unfortunate I feel things aren't reevaluated and other options explored, it stops the market moving forwards with better finishes or alternative finishes.
As I have mentioned, If that is now their standard, then for me I will have to cancel and and stick to what I have.
Either way I am sure what ever the finish they had chosen it would have sold anyway, but there you go... just my view.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

The temptation to move my shed location to London is strong, just so I can have an absolutely filthy L44 or L48 appear sometimes 😄

The ex Metropolitan locomotives were usually kept clean, far cleaner than the BR locomotives they worked alongside. It was only when they were replaced by the ex GWR panniers that standards were allowed to slip.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

The ex Metropolitan locomotives were usually kept clean, far cleaner than the BR locomotives they worked alongside. It was only when they were replaced by the ex GWR panniers that standards were allowed to slip.

Interesting, although with my shed being set in the middle of the war I think I can still generally get away with filthy locos.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Yep, we're not going to change it for the plated brass style, we've standardised on this finish and we're happy with how it looks. Same for Lion's firebox shroud and the O1.

A pity, I'm very much in the painted camp. Please don't make the same mistake as Hornby did with the H, plated dome and painted safety valve shroud definitely detracts from the overall look, really does need to be the same for both.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, chrism993 said:

A pity, I'm very much in the painted camp. Please don't make the same mistake as Hornby did with the H, plated dome and painted safety valve shroud definitely detracts from the overall look, really does need to be the same for both.

It will be painted in our standard metallic finish, as shown on the sample. 🙂

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2023 at 20:01, PhilJ W said:

I've just received a copy of Railway Travel in World War Two by Peter Steer, and funnily enough in the photos section there is a shot of an ex-Met K Class on a service in 1942 and the loco is absolutely filthy! You can't make out the livery at all, and even the bufferbeam number is barely legible. I love it, glorious glorious filth! 😄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I've just received a copy of Railway Travel in World War Two by Peter Steer, and funnily enough in the photos section there is a shot of an ex-Met K Class on a service in 1942 and the loco is absolutely filthy! You can't make out the livery at all, and even the bufferbeam number is barely legible. I love it, glorious glorious filth! 😄

I like my locomotives clean. In other respects, I like accuracy but this is how I’d like the railways to have been. A K Class would be wonderful, though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I like my locomotives clean. In other respects, I like accuracy but this is how I’d like the railways to have been. A K Class would be wonderful, though.

A K Class would be fantastic, an F would be nice as well. More Met in general would be good 👍

I fully understand people who like their locos clean, but I've always been a big fan of weathering. Really brings them alive to me, makes them feel worked 👌
But I am glad others prefer them clean so I can still enjoy seeing all those pretty liveries on other layouts.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

A K Class would be fantastic, an F would be nice as well. More Met in general would be good 👍

I fully understand people who like their locos clean, but I've always been a big fan of weathering. Really brings them alive to me, makes them feel worked 👌
But I am glad others prefer them clean so I can still enjoy seeing all those pretty liveries on other layouts.

Well summed up. Met coaches. The trouble with weathering is that it isn’t often well done. A pristine loco is an excellent place to start for anyone who’s good at it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

But the larger Metropolitan locomotives (G, H and K) classes). were transferred to the LNER in 1936.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 29/11/2023 at 16:13, Fair Oak Junction said:

Still keeping my fingers crossed that now Met No.1 is being done, we might get the Chesham set in RTR. It's there to be scanned and would go perfectly with these beauties! 🤞

They've been available for some time from cdc models in 3D printed for.  I have both teak and brown liveried sets.  He makes them in small batches

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225864461336?hash=item3496922c18:g:3FQAAOSwcwplTTFO

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...

Hopefully Rapido and CDC dont mind me posting, but CDC are now designing some Dreadnought coaches. These will compliment Met E class locos perfect!

So surely more reason to order a Met 1 right? 
They look to still be available on the Rapido website.

4951850B-74E7-48A6-8D3F-1CC7A08D2B9B.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1