RCH 1907 Private Owner Wagons - with added 2024 range.

rapidoandy

3 hours ago, Buhar said:

If the Grumpy one had been a bit more subtle I might have succumbed. Something like GRUMPY then Oldbloke Colliery.

I think we should get one done for the forum.

R. M. Webb

Nutty Slack

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

14 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

I think we should get one done for the forum.

R. M. Webb  Nutty Slack

Presumably that will have a LNWR registration plate 😇

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Nutty Slack

is a variety of coal, at the cheaper end of the range rather than a colliery, Stephen.

But in our worlds it could easily be a colliery. Out Wigan way, probably. As could F. Roth of Overwhinge.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 04/06/2023 at 08:59, Compound2632 said:

To which the answer, clarifying my previous post, is: none.

I dare say someone will turn up an exception.

Note that the GW and GC-liveried wagons are representations not of wagons built by or for those companies but hired bu those companies from the wagon builders, on similar terms to those which any private owner would hire their wagons. This is indicated in both cases by the numbers having an initial 0.

Hoist by my own petard. A.G. Atkins, W. Beard & R. Tourret, GWR Goods Wagons (3e, Tourret Pulishing, 1998) p. 291, plate 376: Two five-plank opens Nos. 08104/5 hired in from the Gloucester RC&W Co built in May 1911. Painted black with white lettering. Presumably part of a larger batch of hired wagons, they are typical Gloucester 10-ton 5-plank wagons of the period. It's HMRS ACG923, of which this is a thumbnail:

image.png.a81b7b7b34fcbb751660770d431e320b.png

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Note that, as wagons built by Gloucester to the RCH specification, these wagons have registration plates (towards the LH end of the solebar) just like any other private owner wagon, even though they are on hire to a railway company rather than a private firm. The other three plates are The Gloucester RC&W Co.'s standard built by, owned by, and for repairs advise plates, showing that the wagons remained Gloucester property and that it was Gloucester, not the Great Western, that was responsible for repairs.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Hoist by my own petard. A.G. Atkins, W. Beard & R. Tourret, GWR Goods Wagons (3e, Tourret Pulishing, 1998) p. 291, plate 376: Two five-plank opens Nos. 08104/5 hired in from the Gloucester RC&W Co built in May 1911. Painted black with white lettering. Presumably part of a larger batch of hired wagons, they are typical Gloucester 10-ton 5-plank wagons of the period. It's HMRS ACG923, of which this is a thumbnail:

image.png.a81b7b7b34fcbb751660770d431e320b.png

Black. Interesting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I've succumbed to temptation, curiosity, or some such, and been through my library looking up the prototypes of the liveries Rapido are producing, with the aid of Joe Greaves' index on the Lightmoor Press website. My list is incomplete, as there are a number of books I don't have, notably the first and fifth volumes of Bill Hudson's series and Ian Pope's Forest of Dean volume.

Rapido RCH 1907 wagons.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Will it be available in N as well .....

You may find the couplings cause injury when I give you it.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

If the 1907 RCH specs were the consolidation of good practise from previous years, and I am told that the POW Sides Charles Roberts wagons are fine for my period, if I find a suitable Rapido one with split spokes and single sided brakes, would it be alright for 1895 mid Wales?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisN said:

would it be alright for 1895 mid Wales?

Chris, if that were my area and period I'd look to be asking you!

I'd have a look at the 1887(?) RCH plan to see what changes there were compared to 1907 and consider what a progressive builder like Gloucester or Chas Roberts might have developed based on that.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1