Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

In the real world I cannot ever recall...

• RMweb Premium

Close.... I don't know but that might be another one in the distance over the tunnel.

image.png.8705a7d51620cfda5940b9ede70cf561.png

As for black and Asian people on layouts 

Remember that even today the combined national total of both minorities is only around about 7%, go back to the days of steam, and that would be less than 1 %,  pre war almost unmeasurable nationally.

Even today , I can go weeks without seeing either minority in the winter, and only see both in the summer due to them being valued members of my summer sailing club.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

Wasn't Cornbrook on the Manchester tram network originally built as an island platform with no street access? I think it was intended only for interchange between routes.

Jim

It was but no has an exit as more people live near it now, it was the junction of the Altrincham and Eccles lines, now also for Didsbury and Trafford Centre.  The Trafford Centre trams used to turn back at Cornbrook, but sensibly this now takes place in the centre platform at GMEX.

11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Or Dovey Junction?

No (public) vehicle access, but there's a footpath to the road at Glandyfi.

Smallbrook Junction on the Isle of Wight has no external acess at all, not even via a footpath. But that exists solely to provide an interchange between the Island Line (National Rail) and the preserved Isle of Wight Steam Railway, and is a relatively new construction (opened in 1991). Unlike Dovey Junction and Trent Junction, there wasn't a station there at all in pre-Beeching days as there was no real need for an interchange at that point and no nearby settlement.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, simon b said:

Geoff Marshall made a video on British steel Redcar a few years ago, iirc there was no way to leave the station except by train. 

Similarly, Teeside Airport (or Durham Tees Valley). Just a long walk to the airport and nowhere else.

• RMweb Premium

Surprised no-one's yet mentioned the well-known Riccarton Junction on the Waverley route, where the station together with the community clustered close alongside had no access other than by train.

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Tidied up.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

Wasn't Cornbrook on the Manchester tram network originally built as an island platform with no street access? I think it was intended only for interchange between routes.

Jim

Correct, although there is pedestrian access to Cornbrook Metrolink, it's really for pedestrian egress, i.e. the fire escape!  I'm not aware if the fire escape doors can be opened from the outside to get in, so to speak.

19 hours ago, TheQ said:

Remember that even today the combined national total of both minorities is only around about 7%, go back to the days of steam, and that would be less than 1 %,  pre war almost unmeasurable nationally.

BR was, in the 1950s and 60s, probably the biggest employer of black people from the Caribbean. 

https://www.ourmigrationstory.org.uk/oms/london-on-the-move-west-indian-transport-workers

EDIT: The NRM website says BR opened a recruitment office in Barbados in 1956. 

https://www.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/blog/asquith-xavier/

Edited by BachelorBoy
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

9 minutes ago, Irish Padre said:

Manulla Jct in western Ireland is a classic of the ‘only rail access’ genre. pic from WikiP

IMG_7834.jpeg

If you think it looks bleak in that photo, see the current condition on Google Streetview:

https://goo.gl/maps/uDkGGGHawHveKHte9

The main platform has been lengthened, but the shelter has been removed. It can't be a particularly pleasant place to change trains on a wet day in winter.

• Like 4

On 16/04/2023 at 12:27, Peterem said:

My pet peeve at exhibitions are stations that have platforms with no obvious passenger access, except presumably over the tracks. Given the frequency show layouts usually operate, a death sentence for any passenger unlucky enough to try. 

Wickham Bishops on the Great Eastern. Access to the platform from the station building was by crossing the goods siding

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Titanius Anglesmith said:

Wickham Bishops on the Great Eastern. Access to the platform from the station building was by crossing the goods siding

Which, interestingly, has been modelled, and the model is now in the hands of the East Anglian Railway Museum:

https://earmnewsletter.blogspot.com/2020/05/wickham-bishops-its-magical-model-layout.html

• Like 2

On 16/04/2023 at 06:38, 97406 said:

20230116_154125.jpg.1006012e70280dd645f04e1147efbc30.jpg

Here you go…

I'm amused that they fell it necessary to black out the teeny-tiny 1:87 plastic representations of the bits we all have. I suspect that the other contents of a model railway catalogue are more likely to deprave and corrupt than the miniature nudists 🙂

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I'm amused that they fell it necessary to black out the teeny-tiny 1:87 plastic representations of the bits we all have. I suspect that the other contents of a model railway catalogue are more likely to deprave and corrupt than the miniature nudists 🙂

I did that for added comedy effect on the 'Things that Make You :)' thread. I'll show you the originals for a fee!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Titanius Anglesmith said:

Dovey Junction, only accessible by rail though there is I believe footpath access from Ynyslas Nature Reserve.

Access to the single island platform at Treherbert, still a busy terminus but once a very busy end-on junction between the Taff Vale and the R&SB, with a lot of coal traffic passing through, is at ground level, and ungated, across the down main running line, the booking office being separate and on the 'town' side of the railway. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/04/2023 at 13:19, Flying Pig said:

But buildings almost always have more than the equivalent depth of a sheet of plywood between the ground floor and the crown of the tunnel below 

Exchange Square, one of the office blocks straddling the tracks at Liverpool Street, is hung from the huge steel arch on its face.

I try not to think about it when passing a few cm underneath!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/04/2023 at 18:25, TheQ said:

Close.... I don't know but that might be another one in the distance over the tunnel.

Even today , I can go weeks without seeing either minority in the winter, and only see both in the summer due to them being valued members of my summer sailing club.

Location, location location!

If you were to model some urban areas then Caucasian people would be in a minority!

Moreover this is not new - when the Windrush generation came over in the 60s they tended to reside in clumps so to speak (mainly due to racism on the part of property owners) .

Anything set in parts of West London from the 1970s for example should have a large Asian contingent while parts of south London would have a large Afro Caribbean makeup in terms of figures.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Access to the single island platform at Treherbert, still a busy terminus but once a very busy end-on junction between the Taff Vale and the R&SB, with a lot of coal traffic passing through, is at ground level, and ungated, across the down main running line

Quite interesting to read this and look up a few photos on Google. I've been there a few times without having any inkling as it's been rebuilt as a normal platform.

I suspect you were supposed to use the bridge though!

Then:

Treherbert station 1959

and now:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4028128

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Small layouts that have to have one of every traffic generating feature crammed into an unfeasible track plan and special trains serving each one.

A dairy for the milk train.

A coal merchant for the coals.

A cattle dock for the cows.

A clay dries for the clay train.

A harbour for the fish Tain.

A coal mine or merchant for the coal train.

A fuel depot for the tanker train.

Etc...

Bridges where the supporting beams sit between the abutments not on them.

Girder bridges where two beams join mid span and have no form of support. 

And I'm totally with Andy on the tunnels that have only the thickness of a thin sheet of ply above them upon which sit features that in real life would penetrate into or collapse the tunnel.  

• Like 9