Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

In the real world I cannot ever recall...

11 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

I'm quite sure I've never seen a Rivet Counter Detector Van in the real world...

Ah yes; one of my delights at a model railway show - if there's a layout with oneof those on it, I like to point out in a loud, Nerdy voice - "Actually, I think you'll find that's the wrong colour for a Rivet Counter Detector Van". 🤓🤓🤓🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Personally, I’m a bit baffled by this obsession with replicating “the real world”. It’s not as if it’s a place without flaws down-sides, and outright unpleasantness, whereas a miniature fantasy land can be entirely free from difficulty and bad bits.

Reality: a place often best escaped from.

As others have pointed out there's generally a bit of fiction anyway, although probably more for space reasons a lot of the time.

In any case reality has always had its good and bad parts, and in choosing somewhere to model it's no surprise if people choose the parts they like, even if that's warts and all. And in any case some things can be interesting and appealing as a subject of study even if you really wouldn't want to live or work there - I'm interested in old mines for example.

I also think there's just something fascinating about reality, warts and all, captured in a model, the familiar reproduced in that way, and without some of the negatives too that fascinating capture simply doesn't work as well. For example I'm not particularly enamoured with the current railway but a good model of it at an exhibition is something I can watch with as much pleasure as any other.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

Personally I'd like to see more deliiberately implausiible model railways that intentionally don't represent the real world. Fantasy railway modelling is a rich and underexplored vein.

I thought that's what OO gauge was for?

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 25/04/2023 at 11:08, ejstubbs said:

.... but isn't this topic just a variant of the long-running - and still running - Prototype for Everything Corner thread?

I thought it was the exact opposite. This thread is about things seen on a model that are not seen in the real world.  Challenging a suggestion by evidence that it is seen in real life may be what causes the similarity with the 'Prototype for everything corner' thread.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2023 at 10:31, kevinlms said:

Or a certain robotic type device, pointing out at the viewing public, with it's largest arm, going "Exterminate, Exterminate"!

Ummmm

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

It was Davros, the Dalek leader, who was instrumental in my deciding not to pursue a life of crime when I were a lad.  Eventually brought before the Council of Time Lords on Gallifey by the Doctor, he was sentenced to 'Eternity in the Outer Void for Crimes Against Sentient Creation'.  No way I could better that, and if I couldn't better that, what was the point of trying, overdue library books and parking on double yellows weren't gonna cut it...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2023 at 08:38, DK123GWR said:

I'm quite sure I've never seen a Rivet Counter Detector Van in the real world...

Some say : the real RCDV's were always cunningly disguised as TVDV's, with blacked-out windows to hide The Brethren from view.

image.png.9460ccabd8a3bb82610b6af7069b1ad5.png

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Chris M said:

I cannot ever recall seeing Thomas the Tank in Hazzard County.

2A46639E-DCE9-470E-9682-AEBE6721946C.jpeg.cf899f63caf81f5fe128d048ef627465.jpeg

Now THAT would be a race. Two lumps of pig iron both of which struggle with sharp corners 😆

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

11 hours ago, Chris M said:

Bo and Luke appear to have had a rather unexpected change of allegiance, too.

Although you could, of course, justify all this by means of a fictional backstory that the Hazzard County Railroad is now a preserved tourist line, and you're modelling one of the "Days out with Thomas" events which are regular occurances on such attractions.

• Like 1

The Union Flag on the General Lee was just a short term thing for attending a Coronation fete. It is now back to carrying the Confederate battle flag on the roof. It’s a shame that when the Dukes of Hazzard were made the confederate battle flag was just a symbol of them being rebels but now it is used by the white supremacy movement in the US. I might well add a note to the side of the layout clearly stating that we abhor everything the white supremacy does and stands for. The car is merely as it was in the TV series. I’m told there are no re-runs of the Dukes of Hazzard nowadays because of that flag.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Chris M said:

What type of coupling is that on Thomas? Looks like a T/L but fitted upside down.

Thomas is the G scale version with rather spooky moving eyes. It is 10 years old, has been converted to battery powered radio control and has an added sound card. Quite a tough little unit, Thomas has survived the attentions of three grandchildren so far and another has just joined the crew. He does have a few battle scars but still runs very well. He is still very popular at exhibitions when he appears, especially when he causes the dynamite wagon to explode! That’s something else I have never seen on the real railway.

Have I lost my serious modeller badge?

• Like 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1