RMweb

Hornby tweeting for suggestions as to what to produce

Covkid

I don't spend very much time at all on Twitter but couldn't ignore a tweet from Hornby seeking suggestions for new products

Had to condense my tweet into four items

LNWR Radial 2-4-2 tank - in BR condition as those few that soldiered on until 1957 at the likes of Walsall, Coventry and Bletchley IIRC.  46712 or 46666 would be rather nice 

Midand 2F 0-6-0 goods engine in at least BR condition with Belpaire firebox

LMS Fowler and Stanier 2-6-2 tanks - 400xx and 401xx,  again in BR condition at least

Not holding out any hope as it really is just wishlisting I guess, but I had to respond !!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Blimey he's not even retired yet and already they are so bereft of ideas they've had to resort to Twitter???

What next an open invitation thread on RMWeb, maybe an opening for @BMacdermott

They use all social media and have done for decades.

There's even a wishlist on the forum....

Jason

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Covkid said:

I don't spend very much time at all on Twitter but couldn't ignore a tweet from Hornby seeking suggestions for new products

Had to condense my tweet into four items

LNWR Radial 2-4-2 tank - in BR condition as those few that soldiered on until 1957 at the likes of Walsall, Coventry and Bletchley IIRC.  46712 or 46666 would be rather nice 

Midand 2F 0-6-0 goods engine in at least BR condition with Belpaire firebox

LMS Fowler and Stanier 2-6-2 tanks - 400xx and 401xx,  again in BR condition at least

Not holding out any hope as it really is just wishlisting I guess, but I had to respond !!!

The Radial tank seems a very good suggestion . Suitable for the BR (LMR) branch line modeller, not to mention the LMS version thereof. If the tooling suite allows for LNWR condition (as it should), sits well enough with Precedent, Coal Tank and Super D

I've always been surprised how few of the Ratio LNWR coach kits we see built and running. We also now have generic LNWR 4 and 6 wheelers

How late did LNWR brake vans last?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I was going to suggest the GER Class A55, Decapod as modellers like one offs but that is another company's territory. 

How about a class 37, there don't seem to enough of them being made. Or any diesel that looks like it should do, hang about their track record on that front isn't the bestest.

Now if I used my twitter account then I might put forward a LNER B16/2 or B16/3.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

I guess with Simon leaving Hornby imminently perhaps they now want imput from people (the public that buy their products) outside of Hornby Hobbies. They now may need to know what they can consider for future range years from a number of requests and the most requested could became a newly tooled model.

By actively engaging with their target audiences. 

It seems like a good idea for those that use social media. How about they also introduce suggestions for existing toolings that haven't been in the range for well over ten years? 

Also How do we use this thread without turning it into a wishlist? 🤔

Edited by RyanN91
Typos fixed
  • Like 1

People complain about Hornby not interacting with their customers,now they are attempting to do so,they get more criticism.Seems they can't win!

For what it's worth ,I'll have a Midland 2F,but a round top firebox version please,oh and a Fowler 3P tank,and... a Cambrian Railways Volunteer class 0-4-2 tender engine 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

I guess with Simon leaving Hornby imminently perhaps they now want imput from people (the public that buy their products) outside of Hornby Hobbies. They now may need to know what they can consider for future range years from a number of requests and the most requested could became a newly tooled model.

By actively engaging with their target audiences. 

It seems like a good idea for those that use social media. How about they also introduce suggestions for existing toolings that haven't been in the range for well over ten years? 

Also How do we use this thread without turning it into a wishlist? 🤔

But they've always asked people what they want. it's not a new thing.

I remember filling in a survey a few years ago handed to me by one Simon Kohler.....

ISTR I asked for a retooled loco drive Dean Goods.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

But they've always asked people what they want. it's not a new thing.

I remember filling in a survey a few years ago handed to me by one Simon Kohler.....

ISTR I asked for a retooled loco drive Dean Goods.

Jason

Agreed they've always asked what we all want listening? sometimes almost mostly they do but just look how long we all had to wait for a new Rocket and APT-P. Eventually is better than never! 

• Like 1

Nothing. I just want far greater quality control for the models they currently produce as frankly, it's now reached the level too being simply appalling. Eg, same mistake with the East Midlands Trains power cars of 10 years ago (EAST MIDLANDS TRAINS) while the printing on the new Scotrail 153s has to be some of the worst I've ever seen - enough to say I'm glad I canceled my pre-order. 

• Like 1

I do apologise if any part or all of my posts and contributions to this thread seem cynical or unpleased or critical in anyway. 

I know Andy doesn't like wishlists for the next year range until December but again this isn't about that. I was being cagey because I am unsure whether or not to begin to start wish list what we want to see.

Kudos to Hornby for this new initiative 👏 you do a fantastic thing how ever long it takes the APT-P and Rocket posts were merely about them constantly being asked for year after year. But they do have to prioritise what people want I am always amazed at whatever new locomotive train pack or rolling stock or anything else they produce in the future. Nevertheless It's fantastic 👏 

Edited by RyanN91
cynical
  • Like 3

My flippant answer would be 'affordable'. 

My helpful answer would be to suggest gaps in pre-Grouping ranges.  I can't think of one pre-Grouping company for which we have a range that takes in shunter/ pilot, small goods, heavy goods, passenger tank/ small passenger tender loco and express passenger. 

I'd suggest locos such as the GCR N5, the GNR J6, the GER Y14, I'm sure others can identify similar gaps...

• Like 2

• AY Mod locked this topic