Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EFE Rail Newton Chambers car carriers

AY Mod

• Moderators

BACHMANN REVEALS NEWTON CHAMBERS CAR CARRIERS AT DEMU SHOWCASE 

E86007 & E86003.jpg

Following the launch of the all-new Bachmann Branchline Class 37 at last year’s DEMU Showcase – the event staged by Diesel Electric Modellers United (DEMU) which is a highlight of the exhibition calendar for many Diesel & Electric enthusiasts – Bachmann Europe again chose DEMU Showcase for another product announcement. 

As part of its EFE Rail range, Bachmann has today announced all-new OO scale models of the Newton Chambers Car Carriers. These double-deck bogie vehicles were built by Newton, Chambers & Co. in 1961 and were delivered to British Railways’ Eastern Region. A total of 14 vehicles were built to carry six cars each: two in a well between the bogies and four on the upper deck up. Although usually employed on Anglo Scottish trains, these vehicles were built and registered to UIC standards allowing them to work on train ferry services to the continent. Built with through steam heat pipes and vacuum brakes, by the mid-1970s several had been fitted with through ETH and all had been so fitted by the early-1980s, when Mk3 Sleeping Coaches were introduced. Outshopped in BR Lined Maroon livery with ‘Eastern Region Car Transporter’ lettering, the introduction of ‘Motorail’ services in 1966 saw them repainted into BR’s corporate Blue & Grey scheme with ‘Motorail’ branding applied.

Originally coded TCV for ‘Two-Tier Motor Car Van’, under TOPS they later became NVV when fitted with vacuum brakes and NVX once dual-fitted with vacuum and air brakes. Withdrawals commenced during the 1980s and all had gone by the end of the decade. 

The EFE Rail model captures the distinct character of these vehicles, with finely-moulded panel lines throughout the model and accurate end detailing. The bogies, with their unique 6ft 9in. wheelbase, are something to behold; capturing the relief of the axleboxes and spring leaf suspension, with full brake gear push/pull rods and safety loops fitted separately between the frames. Pinpoint metal wheels ensure smooth running whilst the tension lock coupling is mounted via NEM socket which is mounted on a close-coupling mechanism built into the vehicle’s floor. Two buffer beam arrangements are catered for in these initial releases, depicting the vehicles as built with vacuum brakes and through-piped for steam heating, or in later operation when dual braked and fitted for through-ETH. 

Available as individual models, allowing authentic train formations to be created as desired, these EFE Rail models are now in production with delivery expected towards the end of 2023. Eight models are being produced and these can be ordered from Bachmann stockists now, with an RRP of £59.95 each.

E86003.jpg

E86003-1.jpg

E86003-2.jpg

E86003-3.jpg

E86003-4.jpg

Item No. Description RRP Running Number

E86003 Newton Chambers Car Carrier BR Maroon £59.95 E96293E

E86004 Newton Chambers Car Carrier BR Maroon £59.95 E96294E

E86005 Newton Chambers Car Carrier BR Maroon [W] £59.95 E96296E

E86006 Newton Chambers Car Carrier BR Maroon [W] £59.95 E96297E

E86007.jpg

E86007-1.jpg

E86007-2.jpg

E86007-3.jpg

E86007 Newton Chambers Car Carrier BR Blue & Grey £59.95 E96291E

E86008 Newton Chambers Car Carrier BR Blue & Grey £59.95 E96294E

E86009 Newton Chambers Car Carrier BR Blue & Grey [W] £59.95 E96298E

E86010 Newton Chambers Car Carrier BR Blue & Grey [W] £59.95 E96299E

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Presume these aren't the same as the Heljan models?

They are different models of the same stock.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

It’s a great shame that Bachmann and Heljan have both developed the same model at the same time. Is the market for these large enough to sustain two models? Or will we see a lot of both in the bargain bins? Bachmann/EFE do have the advantage I feel. For once they’re cheaper than the rival, and are producing the coaches singly, whereas with Heljan you have to buy a 3 pack. 

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Sorry to be a pedant Andy. So are these are differently tooled to the Heljan examples? Totally ok if we simply do not know.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, E100 said:

Sorry to be a pedant Andy. So are these are differently tooled to the Heljan examples? Totally ok if we simply do not know.

I went and looked at comparative images and spotted some small differences.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That's really interesting to see and thanks for the info. Obviously, it'll be good to hear the comparison well the production examples arrive. Both examples do look the part though with excellent livery application.

I have to say that whilst the announcement might be more welcome if it was something totally new/well overdue a refresh etc the single packs really do appeal. You could get 2 in each livery for a similar price point to the Heljan 3 pack which does also appeal, especially since I won't really have room for 3 car carriers and a realistically balanced train behind it so I'm much more likely to some now.

• Like 3

Oh dear.  We''re never going to hear the end of this!

29 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Bachmann/EFE do have the advantage I feel. For once they’re cheaper than the rival, and are producing the coaches singly, whereas with Heljan you have to buy a 3 pack. 

I rather think they have been forced to pitch the pricing by the existence of the competitor, and they could also see that doing them singly would give them the edge.  Perhaps Heljan will now have to offer them singly too?

I've already got the first lot on order, but I'm pretty sure I'l be getting both manufacturers' products.

I noticed the weathered versions are (unusually) different running numbers from the standard versions.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 minutes ago, E100 said:

excellent livery application ?

image.png.2872066cd6a2d687a62e468091e3675d.png

I hope that the finish on the red version is a lot better than it is on this pre-production sample. The lettering is definitely sloping down towards the sea.

Interesting that no one has complained about Bachmann duplicating something that Heljan is doing. I am sure that if it had been Hornby they would have.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Richard Scott said:

The efe and Heljan will go well side by side there from the same moulds, whoever has paid towards the tooling are using the efe name to distribute to a wider audience, in todays climate I can’t fault them better than having thousands of pounds sat in a warehouse.

I don't know why I bothered clarifying as early as possible that they are different models and even provide evidence.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 minutes ago, Richard Scott said:

The efe and Heljan will go well side by side there from the same moulds, whoever has paid towards the tooling are using the efe name to distribute to a wider audience, in todays climate I can’t fault them better than having thousands of pounds sat in a warehouse.

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

27 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Not from the same moulds according to Andy York.

• Agree 4

Funny that the lettering and symbols on each model is rather different. I wonder who's is right or if indeed its a case of which photographs you go off.

It really can't be difficult to get this right (actually, it's just not difficult) so I hope it's the latter.

Great to see resources of at least one company wasted on duplicating an obscure prototype. It's not like model prices are high and wasted investment is only going to make things worse, oh well.

Edited by James Grundy
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Having seen them on the Bachmann stand at DEMU showcase, the EFE versions are completely new tooling and were well underway before the Heljan own version announcement. 
Those on show and pictured are initial decorated samples and some corrections have been noted (such as lettering position) for amendment. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Not from the same moulds according to Andy York.

With further clarification from Ben Jones on Facebook, "Heljan has no involvement in these models. It is a straight duplication."

Next person to not bother reading what is clearly written will get a ban from the topic.

• Like 10
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, James Grundy said:

Great to see resources of at least one company wasted on duplicating an obscure prototype. It's not like model prices are high and wasted investment is only going to make things worse, oh well.

And your solution is?

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

4 minutes ago, James Grundy said:

Funny that the lettering and symbols on each model is rather different. I wonder who's is right or if indeed its a case of which photographs you go off.

It really can't be difficult to get this right (actually, it's just not difficult) so I hope it's the latter.

For all we know Bachmann could have been well advanced in their design and tooling when Heljan announced their model, possibly too far advanced to cull the project.

Prices are what they are, don't like them?  Well go and start your own company and sell us models cheaper than what we are currently paying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Type 2 said:

For all we know Bachmann could have been well advanced in their design and tooling when Heljan announced their model, possibly too far advanced to cull the project.

nail and head... 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the models will complement each other quite well and provide different running numbers. I do wonder why these are efe branded rather than Bachmann- is it to do with the factory used or Bachmann just trying to build the brand?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

And your solution is?

Just a spot of good old fashioned communication.

6 minutes ago, Type 2 said:

Oh I don't doubt it. 

6 minutes ago, Type 2 said:

Prices are what they are, don't like them?  Well go and start your own company and sell us models cheaper than what we are currently paying.

This chestnut again? I feel perfectly happy being disappointed with the rising cost of my hobby without setting out to solve the issue myself thank you very much.

Neither manufacturer benefits from this. There were 14 examples of these vehicles. 14!

Believe me I'm as staunch a free market proponent as they come, but there is competition and there is throwing development money away because we're too high and mighty to work a little bit in the modelling public's interest.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

It's only that evil Hornby that duplicate models.....  😝

TBH I think we are getting to the stage that duplication is inevitable. It's when people are demanding obscure things when we haven't even got the basics, then we end up with two (or more) of that obscure model that is the problem. 

I would have been quite happy with the Southern Pride version to be honest. They still hold up pretty well.

But £50 for a coach? Try and find a decent kit for that, then build it and paint it. The SP version is £38/£39.50 sans wheels for comparison.

Jason

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

And your solution is?

5 minutes ago, James Grundy said:

Just a spot of good old fashioned communication 

Manufacturers getting together and deciding on who does what model would probably fall foul of anti-competitive practices laws. It would be seen as dividing up the market. So not something any business would want to do. 

So we get duplicate toy trains but protected from price fixing on more trivial things like petrol and food. 

• Agree 8

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's only that evil Hornby that duplicate models

Still banging that drum? That's about how duplication is handled and how far elbows are stuck out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I think that the difference with Hornby is that (in some cases) they have deliberately set out to duplicate or sabotage a model from another manufacturer - for instance with the Hattons Class 66, the Rapido Titfield Thunderbolt and with Cavalex over their proposed Class 91.

This seems like a genuine case of two manufacturers accidentally producing the same model (similar to Sonic Models and Rapido with the BR Ferry Vans). It can be resolved amicably as @AY Mod notes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4