Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

How to trigger a ‘serious’ enthusiast…

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 5944 said:

Hornby, well Rivarossi, do make an Italian 740 class 2-8-0. Quite why one would be in Greater Manchester is another matter though!

Possibly something to do with  the painting being credited to Marcello Corti

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

What happens in an Outing Room?

In those days something that ends up in the local nick and the courts.

Isn't the perspective weird. The loco seems to taper down to the left and how does it work with the building on the far left? Is it passing in front of it or behind?

I once thought that the Newhaven Town crossing could do with something more exciting than a half-hourly 313 service each way. Of course, before anyone complains, I know it is travelling wrong line.

Southern steam fantasy Newhaven.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1
  • Funny 12

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

I could say that an understanding of perspective is not one of the artist's main capabilities.

I'm not especially OCD but whether that loco is under or outside the canopy is doing my nut in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Never mind that. What is going on here?

71cQ5ZqoapS._AC_SX425_.jpg

Some strange Holden/Prairie tender tank!

The sad thing is that quite a lot of the details look ok although the periods are mixed, especially in the top picture. I get the impression the artist has assembled a job lot of images and thrown them together with the Frankenstein loco.  

• Agree 2

There was a thread recently on a warships-related website I also frequent, asking what a battleship designed by this new Artificial Intelligence stuff might look like. 

From the bizarre results of that, these jigsaws look like the artwork was produced by a similar process - generically just about recognisable as a caricature of what they’re meant to be, but wholly unrealistic. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/07/2023 at 06:25, 5944 said:

Quite why one would be in Greater Manchester is another matter though!

Channel Tunnel.

On 30/07/2023 at 20:18, PMP said:

Don’t get me started on that platform width!

Aw, that's just perspective!

• Funny 3

At one exhibition I attended with a friends layout, we had great fun running my Red painted A3!  It should have been BR green, but I ran out of time for the show.  Caused much huffing and puffing from the rivet counters.  Kids loved it though.

I must add, I only ran it in the last hour each day, other than on request.

Its the correct colour now.

Paul

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I'm not especially OCD but whether that loco is under or outside the canopy is doing my nut in.

IMG_3563.jpeg.454756084aa0c2b7177ca91ff067c124.jpeg.61f2e05a5cc24aa1889ff2e20ba4ca20.jpeg

It also appears to have arrived through the station building! I believe this was Victor's Escher period. 

This thread is not so much about triggering serious enthusiasts, more triggering anyone with a reasonable sense of basic perspective. 

Edited by westernviscount
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It's obviously in a bay platform. How it got there after hauling a through goods train (see headcode) is another matter.

Regardless of the errors, it's still better that what I could paint!

Steven B

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steven B said:

It's obviously in a bay platform. How it got there after hauling a through goods train (see headcode) is another matter.

Regardless of the errors, it's still better that what I could paint!

Steven B

Express Passenger headcode with the modern lamp in the middle. 

I'm more concerned about the AWS seeing as they didn't get it until the 1950s and the rest is obviously meant to be wartime.

Gas mask box, bloke in the middle?

In other words copied from a photo of FS.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Maybe this is where (some) model manufacturers have been going wrong all this time: perhaps they have been using jigsaw box lids as reference material - it would certainly be cheaper than laser scans or sourcing original drawings! 🤪

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, westernviscount said:

It also appears to have arrived through the station building! I believe this was Victor's Escher period. 

Or possibly M.C. Escher's jigsaw period.  One can quite understand the pseudonym.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 31/07/2023 at 04:56, MrTea said:

Buy them this jigsaw:

IMG_3563.jpeg.454756084aa0c2b7177ca91ff067c124.jpeg

I can’t work out whether the A3 looks good in crimson lake or not!

Come to think of it the door on the carriage looks rather odd too. 

A member of my miniature railway club, built an A3 in 3 1/2 gauge, a beautiful model and then painted it that colour, with a top class paint job!

Every time I saw it, I stared, thinking how much better it would be if he had built a proper loco, such as a Coronation class.

• Like 3

While browsing a branch of The Works yesterday, I came across a jigsaw puzzle depicting the viaduct and aqueduct at Chirk, which run parallel and in relatively close proximity to each other.  On the viaduct, a Castle in GWR livery thundered across. On the aqueduct, the horse boat Gifford passed in the opposite direction.

All very picturesque, but thought I don't remember the number given to the Castle, so can't identify it, Gifford is a Thomas Clayton tar boat, which operated in the Oxford area as a horse boat in the period 1926-1950, nowhere near the Llangollen canal...

And the topping on the cake, a well dressed adult and child were pictured walking along the suspiciously clean towpath towards the tunnel.

A pretty picture, but....

• Like 2