RMweb

Hornby 2023 Annual Report

The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

R3171 

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-p2-class-2-8-2-2001-cock-o-the-north-era-3-r3171?_br_psugg_q=r3171

Announced in the 2013 catalog, on shelves in 2014.

https://www.modelraildatabase.com/locomotives/details/2472/

Original rrp £89.99, today £127.49

seems to have followed the British governments route of marketing… if in doubt, inflate your way out.

All those k1 and 71’s seem to have finally gone.

Aren't Railroad loco's made over multiple badges? 

15 hours ago, smr248 said:

Somewhere along the line I think that I've accidentally become a collector.  Does anybody know the cure?

There is no known cure. Do what the medics do when they can’t cure something, “manage your condition”. My suggestions  would be:

1. set a budget and stick to it,

2. rivet count and nit pick (if you can find any shortcoming or fault, don’t buy),

3. dig out a model you have and once lusted for, run it and go “oooo”.

That works for me.

Er, sort of.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

There is no known cure. Do what the medics do when they can’t cure something, “manage your condition”. My suggestions  would be:

1. set a budget and stick to it,

2. rivet count and nit pick (if you can find any shortcoming or fault, don’t buy),

3. dig out a model you have and once lusted for, run it and go “oooo”.

That works for me.

Er, sort of.

I have Largely (i.e. not entirely) pulled out of the 'nice to have' market alrthough I do have a few such models and will probably be ordering one which is rumoured to be appearing later this year.  But compared with my past approach such purchases by me have dropped through teh floor and will stay down there while I concentrate what spending I do make on things relevant to the geographcal/era theme which interests me.

The j key to my ar pproach is really down to item 1 in the list above.  i have places where my money can be spent on relevant things sio I don't have any left to spend on teh irrelevant - simples.  But I can still indulge Item 3 on that list (unless I some day need to sell it to create money to go in the stuff that counts.

• Agree 2

Apologies if this has been reported already?

The much speculated transformation of the Margate Hornby visitor centre, is realised.

The WonderWorks is due to open on the 30th October.

SOMETHING WONDERFUL IS COMING

Welcome to The WonderWorks

Get ready for a hobby extravaganza! 

The WonderWorks is a new immersive experience from Hornby Hobbies that takes your favourite pastimes to another level of enjoyment.

Opening on the 30th of October, The WonderWorks replaces the old Hornby Visitor Centre.

Everything has changed except for the price, making this a beautifully cost-effective way to while away the hours.

Discover the history of the company, learn how Hornby, Airfix, CORGI,  Scalextric and Pocher make their models and kits, and interact with our exhibitions.

Daily workshops and special events will help you make the most of your hobby.

Come down to Margate in two weeks and visit something wonderful!

• Thanks 1

It’s a standard re-branding as carried out by many companies when they believe a refresh is required. As they have, so far, only announced the new name, perhaps critics should wait until it actually opens and the revised content and purpose is revealed?

However, I have to admit that with Hornby being such a recognised brand name with a rich heritage, I am surprised that the new title makes no reference to it. Not sure how that will play out.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Hope its successful . They might then be tempted to open ones in central parts of the country . If Manchester they could call it WonderWall 

I get the impression that they could be seeing it as a sort of tester for wider application - if it makes financial sense.      The name strikes me as a clever idea but only if the reality of 'wonder' lives up to the name.  And it also (hopefully) makes a multi-seasonal attraction rather then a sort of shop with extra displays.

The big problem I see for it is going to be its remoteness - hardly an easy place to get to tucked away in the bottom right hand corner of England so in no way as close to ahuge market as Legoland  (or even Bachmann's possibly vaguely similar equivalent).  So will it still rely on the holiday season for a decent number of visitors although the new name could make it more attractive to potential visitors.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I get the impression that they could be seeing it as a sort of tester for wider application - if it makes financial sense.      The name strikes me as a clever idea but only if the reality of 'wonder' lives up to the name.  And it also (hopefully) makes a multi-seasonal attraction rather then a sort of shop with extra displays.

The big problem I see for it is going to be its remoteness - hardly an easy place to get to tucked away in the bottom right hand corner of England so in no way as close to ahuge market as Legoland  (or even Bachmann's possibly vaguely similar equivalent).  So will it still rely on the holiday season for a decent number of visitors although the new name could make it more attractive to potential visitors.?

I agree with you on its location being an issue. There was a plan to relocate its predecessor to Margate town centre which would have made it more accessible. 

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, 1andrew1 said:

I agree with you on its location being an issue. There was a plan to relocate its predecessor to Margate town centre which would have made it more accessible. 

I don't see the issue as being the location within Margate rather than Margate itself . Really something like this in London , Manchester etc is what is required , although Rates could be a crippler for city centre locations . 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, 1andrew1 said:

There was a plan to relocate its predecessor to Margate town centre which would have made it more accessible. 

It was Ramsgate, down by the Maritime Museum on the harbour. A nice spot and probably preferable to somewhere in Margate despite efforts to make the town trendy. At least the office has sufficient parking and is close to a significant retail park.

It's still only got half a catchment area at best and is in the wrong corner of the kingdom for most potential visitors. There was a rumoured office move to Swindon at one time which I think would have been an easier sell.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

The new themed WonderWorks will feature Hornby, Airfix, CORGI, Scalextric and Pocher. No mention in the mailshot of Oxford Diecast or Oxford Rail., or any of the other continental or minor brands.,

Much like the old Visitors Centre had.