Hornby 2023 Annual Report

The Stationmaster

4 hours ago, Legend said:

I don't see the issue as being the location within Margate rather than Margate itself . Really something like this in London , Manchester etc is what is required , although Rates could be a crippler for city centre locations . 

Shopping centres are looking for new tenants, so this could fill a gap in major cities if the costs worked. Westwood is a cost-effective location and keeps all staff save Oxford Diecast under one roof but I agree that Margate is on a limb for 95% of the population.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 1andrew1 said:

I agree that Margate is on a limb for 95% of the population.

You could say that for many costal towns in the UK  but it does not stop then hosting successful visitor attractions and attracting  short stay holiday makers.

Margate is actually moving up in attracting visitors with the Turner Contemporary art gallery and the revamped Dreamland amusement park. The only time I went to the old Hornby Visitor centre was when we had a short break in Sandwich during which we visited many of the attractions in Kent + a day long coach trip to France via Eurotunnel.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Everywhere they are going for this immersive atmosphere. The Railway Museum at York has closed a lot of its exhibits to recreate an immersive display for next year. I suppose it appeals to little children. They are all at it, go to Dover Castle at weekends and bank holidays.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, 1andrew1 said:

........Margate is on a limb for 95% of the population.

From my perspective the new Bachmann retail outlet may as well be on Mars as it’s a 300 mile round trip from my home. Where as Margate is only 50 miles away and is to all extent and purposes is my second nearest model shop.

I guess everything is relative.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, SteveM666 said:

From my perspective the new Bachmann retail outlet may as well be on Mars as it’s a 300 mile round trip from my home. Where as Margate is only 50 miles away and is to all extent and purposes is my second nearest model shop.

I guess everything is relative.

My most local model shop is only one hour's drive away and I sometimes get a cup of tea.  Will the 'immercsive experience' at Margate include a free cuppa?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Anyone remember Golden Wonder crisps?

Still going!

Now owned by Tayto after being taken over by Walkers a few years ago.

https://www.goldenwonder.com/

Used to smell the factory from mine when the wind was blowing from the East. Smoky Bacon one day, next day it was Cheese & Onion. Especially strong during the day when in school. Widnes wasn't called Stinky for nothing!

Factory closed in 1999 according to this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/281726.stm

Jason

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1