The next Accurascale steam loco in OO ???

I'm trying to think how working Caprotti could work?

That shaft rotated to actuate the valves didn't it?  Quite a challenge .... perhaps ... !!

I'm sure there's someone who could get that going.

Drifting smoke?

Don't remember that when she passed through stopping at St. Helens Junction perhaps 12-13 years ago - quite a surprise, but brilliant to see!!

Al.

• Like 1

Whats needed:

B16 - all types

A4

Rebuilt Merchant Navy
8F

B16 in all forms would be a new model that was essentially a LNE group machine turning up across the LNE network on the trunk routes. But with DCC and tooling matching the step change in lights and sound being added to steam as standard, it throws open the options. A4, 8F and rebuilt Merchant Navy were all some of the first super detailed range and these have barely been updated to include DCC options as standard making them prime options for choosing them. 

What it could be:

Hall
A4
Black 5

D49

Hall comes on the back of Manor. I can see Accurascale making use of tooling options, much like they did with the class 37/50/55 sharing EE parts. A4 would be a good choice to hit headlines and grab the DCC: Next Generation flagship steam choice territory. Black 5 comes as a workhorse and a step towards stanier and the use of parts. D49 marks the start of Eastern region choices again sharing parts like tender, cab, smokebox. 

What I'd like to see

B16 - all types
J21/25 - NER medium engine and very much needed

A4
57xx/94xx
Castle

• Like 5

Well, given the enthusiastic response to the S160 from another of the rising stars this week, it seems a good moment to lobby for the

WD 2-10-0, with interesting WD, LMR and BR versions.

Also a good way of getting a popular "Scottish" loco, if you don't already have something in hand in that department... 😉

Davy. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I'm trying to think how working Caprotti could work?

That shaft rotated to actuate the valves didn't it?  Quite a challenge .... perhaps ... !!

I'm sure there's someone who could get that going.

Drifting smoke?

Don't remember that when she passed through stopping at St. Helens Junction perhaps 12-13 years ago - quite a surprise, but brilliant to see!!

Al.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_8#/media/File:Hugh_llewelyn_71000_(5363551073).jpg

everytime I see it, its like this…the smoke gets caught infront of the chimney.

more here (all flickr, not mine)

71000, Abergele, 07-05-2005

5086862862_20c7932ba5_b.jpg

DCC sound on the Duke is easy though, just get a South African 482 whistle, and forget the rest.. its a bit of meek one really, electric cars make more noise.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Interesting, and astute observation!

DoG would be an excellent addition - Hornby went part-way - one of those higher Railroad models - no sprung buffers!

Black 5 - wonderful locomotive but too much hype on the new Hornby one at the moment perhaps.

Jubilee - would definitely like.

WD 2-10-0 - nice thought.

Al.

• Like 1

A4 is interesting. I agree there are some limited improvements over the Hornby one, but if you compare the rebuilt W1 model with the A4 model, there is really nothing to say they were tooled 16 years apart. Indeed Hornby continue not to get the transverse camber in the streamlined doors right. Aside from that, and the compromise over the cylinder casing to negotiate second radius curves, it will be hard to better. Even the Black Label A4 from Dapol is, in terms of overall shape, worse in many places.

I think an 8F is a no brainer, and they are due something LMS or SR (having now done Western and Eastern in progress)

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

My own view on updating. For example, Hornby’s Saint and 92 are prety dire and need (and needed respectvely) updating. Bachmann’s older 37s and 47s are decent enough and, although the updates are nice to have, they didn’t need updating as much as, for example, a new K4 or U are needed. Duke of Gloucester is somewhere in the middle. Judging by the latest P2s, Hornby could produce a decent finish, If the new management doesn’t drop the ball. A new chassis with decent bearings and motor and with provision for a decent decoder and speaker would transform it. Unfortunately, the Caprotti gear was in unconvincing black plastic (as it was on Cock o’ the North) and seems to have been perpetuated on Prince of Wales. Now that we have features such as metal crossheads, plastic doesn’t seem up to scratch. As atom3624 mentioned, the shaft rotates to actuate the valves; I took a video of the motion as the loco shunted past the platform. The whirling universal joints would be too much to expect but a metal static representation with a crank would be welcome. Hornby doesn’t seem to be bothered about upgrading CotN, hence is unlikely to upgrade DoG, so it’s open for someone to do a good job on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

A4 is interesting. I agree there are some limited improvements over the Hornby one, but if you compare the rebuilt W1 model with the A4 model, there is really nothing to say they were tooled 16 years apart. Indeed Hornby continue not to get the transverse camber in the streamlined doors right. Aside from that, and the compromise over the cylinder casing to negotiate second radius curves, it will be hard to better. Even the Black Label A4 from Dapol is, in terms of overall shape, worse in many places.

I think an 8F is a no brainer, and they are due something LMS or SR (having now done Western and Eastern in progress)

I would expect Hornby to have already planned on updating the A4.

I would also suggest the 8F is a no brainer, but not for Accurascale, I reckon someone else already has that near completion. Worth remembering that Hornby already have most of the parts in other models and Bachmann do an excellent N Gauge one.

Can't understand all these posts wanting pointless duplication when there are over 10,000 steam locomotives in classes that reached BR that have never been made RTR. I think there was about 400 classes in 1948!

The RTR boys have only dipped their toes into Scottish waters and there has never been a standard gauge Welsh locomotive. That's a few thousand locomotives right there.

Jason

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

'Need' is perhaps the wrong word to use when it comes to model trains - none of us 'need' any of them. I suspect a large segment of the 00 4mm market are established modelers and/or collectors so the challenge for the manufacturer is to identify desires and then hope that those desires can be met with a product that satisfies both initial demand and hopefully has the potential for repeat runs. Because of generally high and improving standards by all rtr manufacturers since the turn of this century there is an at least acceptable model of most (but not all ) of the 'obvious' prototypes available to buy either second hand or new already. Indeed we are in the position where manufacturers are revisiting the tooling of models already in their catalogue (Hornby LMS Pacific's, Bachmann V2) or picking off obvious models where a significant improvement can be made (AS Manor).

I very much like the Poll Teams ethos that we modelers should vote for models that we would definitely buy as this gives a prism to separate the 'that would be nice' to actually resulting in a sale.

With the above in mind and looking through the suggestions made so far I would definitely buy from Accuracale probably in multiple :  any 3 cylinder Stanier 4-6-0,  8F, Black Five, B16. I would likely buy single versions of GWR Hawksworth County, D49, A4, Bullied Light Pacific, Merchant Navy or K4

Of course the thing that AS have going for them at the moment is that they are producing models with a specification that matches or exceeds that of any other manufacturer in the market at a price point significantly below the competition. If they can maintain this position they can model almost any prototype whether it is already available or not (all of the AS produced or planned diesel range to date already has at least a decent model available from elsewhere) and be guaranteed a return on at least the first run.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Can't understand all these posts wanting pointless duplication when there are over 10,000 steam locomotives in classes that reached BR that have never been made RTR. I think there was about 400 classes in 1948!

Exactly - just counting SR (and constituent) classes that reached BR service, there's over 40 that have never been made in OO RTR - some quite numerous and widespread like the U/U1 and K moguls. I suspect the LMS/LNER have even more (maybe fewer for the GWR ?)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

I understand the 'logic' of 'filling in the holes', but selecting a next marketable product doesn't normally fit that ethos.

Model popularity plays a big part in selection as well I can imagine.

I maintain DoG 71k and / or Jubilees ...

Add parallel boilered Scots.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Exactly - just counting SR (and constituent) classes that reached BR service, there's over 40 that have never been made in OO RTR - some quite numerous and widespread like the U/U1 and K moguls. I suspect the LMS/LNER have even more (maybe fewer for the GWR ?)

But you need to consider whether a model is commercially viable. Probably a case for various Southern Moguls but not sure some of the many variations of 060 will sell well enough to repay the investment in tooling. Rails are currently discounting black Caley 812's, Hornby seems to struggle with J15's and the Drummond 060 (sorry, can't recall its class) is still available new if you hunt around several years after it was last in the catalogue. No doubt some of the unmodelled classes will be picked off in coming years but the bread and butter money is in making high spec models of reasonably mainstream prototypes I think. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, atom3624 said:

I understand the 'logic' of 'filling in the holes', but selecting a next marketable product doesn't normally fit that ethos.

Al.

Think DoG would work if it were commissioned or in someway linked to the owners of the prototype - we'd have the kudos of 'putting something back' into preservation. Can't see it being a strong seller as a standalone main range model in its own right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Think DoG would work if it were commissioned or in someway linked to the owners of the prototype - we'd have the kudos of 'putting something back' into preservation. Can't see it being a strong seller as a standalone main range model in its own right.

Maybe Hornby will reintroduce a newly tooled DOG 71000 in their HD range?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

This conversation had me open up my higher detail DoG again - lovely looking model let down in so many places ....

I still vote DoG and Jubilees (and parallel boilered Scots).

Question: Weights and power ratings were different, but dimensionally were the parallel boilered Scots any different to the Patriots?  (Bachmann did update their Patriot, which is quite a reasonable model, but not their parallel Scot).

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

Parallel Boiler Scots. Now that’s a nugget to savour.They ran in LMS red & wartime black until 1948 & then BR green until 1953 when 46137 was the last to be rebuilt.With& without deflectors.A good choice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

There's 2 areas here. The not done before new thing nobody has made but maybe not so interesting and the made many times but very popular loco that can be done better.

In general, I'd go for the latter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, atom3624 said:

This conversation had me open up my higher detail DoG again - lovely looking model let down in so many places ....

I still vote DoG and Jubilees (and parallel boilered Scots).

Question: Weights and power ratings were different, but dimensionally were the parallel boilered Scots any different to the Patriots?  (Bachmann did update their Patriot, which is quite a reasonable model, but not their parallel Scot).

Al.

Overall, the Patriots were smaller than the Scots and had a noticeably different boiler. An indication of the difference in size of the boilers was that the Scots retained their original cabs on rebuilding but the Patriots had to have new cabs to fit the larger boilers. The overall length of a Scot over buffers was 65' 2¾" and of the Patriot 62' 8¾". There were detail differences but those dimensions would indicate different tooling.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I was obviously wondering how difficult for Bachmann to apply their updated tooled Patriot bodies to create a parallel boilered Royal Scot - answer being 'not suitable' is coming out - so a parallel boiler RS is a prime contender then!

I'd really like one of these.

Al.

• Like 1

Here's a thing ...

A/Scale managed to introduce brake linkage chains to the proprietary market, could it be possible they also introduce a lighting system for steam locomotives ... with any additional new steam locomotives introduced?

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Thanks.

I was obviously wondering how difficult for Bachmann to apply their updated tooled Patriot bodies to create a parallel boilered Royal Scot - answer being 'not suitable' is coming out - so a parallel boiler RS is a prime contender then!

I'd really like one of these.

Al.

I agree – I was very disappointed when Bachmann cancelled the Royal Scot which had been announced. Rebuilds would be nice too – Bachmann is bound to do a better job on the livery than Hornby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2