BR 16t Minerals, By Accurascale

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Some remained comparatively "square" such a  these in 1967.

46441-16ts_01-09-1967.jpg.585fa8645d6d74906d175f56dd17fd4d.jpg

Interesting piccie.

Why was the loco sheeted over ?

On a general note - well done Accurascale for rising to the challenge.

I have probably as many 16 tonners as I need, so may only have a couple of three packs. The point though is that I have been in the hobby a long time and had the chance to pick up my stock. Many others, either newbies or returnees will be wanting this ubiquitous model, so Accurascale will be there for them as well as Bachmann and kits, or Dapol if you want the 10' WBs.  I also suspect the Accuracale price will be very competitive compared to that from Barwell. 

Mow then Mr Isles.  I really hope you that while you were on the GCR you "concentrated" on running your measuring tapes over that bauxite 21T hopper for carrying coal. !!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I’m not sure if this particular announcement will satisfy the 50/60/70/80s era modellers clamouring for more steam locos.

when is the next steam loco announcement? (asking on their behalf) 🤔

when is the next D&E (inc post privatisation) loco or rolling stock announcement, please? 🤔 

All in good time @norfolkchinaclay - patience is the key, as we do have to pace ourselves 😆

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Aha... the good ol official portraits of  B100925 that appeared as the crazy, mixed up artwork on the Mk1 & MkII Airfix 16ton box.

Almost as entertaining as the 2-2-4 4MT.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well no one else has yet. So here goes 

‘You load sixteen tons,what do you get 

Another day older &deeper in debt

St.Peter don’t you call me,’cause I can’t go

I owe my soul to the company store’

Acknowledgements to Tennessee Ernie Ford

Also to the certainty that our finances ….and souls….will soon be willingly in hock to this company store.That is if they  aren’t already. Bravo…..again.

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Tough. 😁

Everyone *should* have more wagons than locos.

Well..............you say that........(use of*duly noted guvnor.....)

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Don't you mean 18 packs of 3 wagons, all with different numbers ?

And that's only before the second run!

Even I'm not that nuts. 🤣

In all seriousness, the 16T mineral wagon is a no brainer for Accurascale given the sheer number of them, and widespread nature, really makes the opportunities endless, not just for further loco development but also brake vans......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't included this possibility in my guesses, but I've now had a while to think it out.

I think it's great news for those starting to build a wagon fleet, so congratulations to Accurascale for not being deterred by the numbers of pretty competent models that are already "out there". 

There is probably enough unfulfilled/new demand to ensure their success, but they represent something of a mixed blessing for me. I'll certainly be ordering at least one pack of the Dia. 1/109 riveted-body wagons. If pressed-door 1/108s displaying a more convincing interior than the Bachmann ones are offered, I'll have some of those, too. 

However, as things stand, I don't envisage replacing my existing fleet of forty-odd "regular" (all-welded) Dia.1/108s; some kit-built, but the majority "worked-over" Bachmann.

I wouldn't fancy doing it one pack at a time, and a "big bang" approach would incur a four-figure outlay. Biting that particular bullet would be dependent on there being little else of interest in the offing that I don't already own. The way the OO r-t-r scene is going at present, I really can't see much likelihood of that!

It would also involve a huge (repeat) weathering programme. I think I've just talked myself out of the idea! 🙃

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Covkid said:

... Why was the loco sheeted over ? ...

While Porcy Mane has drawn your attention to the location being Carnforth - it was still an operational BR loco shed for another year or so and the presence of a preserved loco distinctly unusual. What can be seen looks rather shiny so the tarpaulins are probably protecting the eyesight of any Ivatt pedants from that 'orrible red paint.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Well no one else has yet. So here goes 

‘You load sixteen tons,what do you get 

Another day older &deeper in debt

St.Peter don’t you call me,’cause I can’t go

I owe my soul to the company store’

Acknowledgements to Tennessee Ernie Ford

Also to the certainty that our finances ….and souls….will soon be willingly in hock to this company store.That is if they  aren’t already. Bravo…..again.

Wonder if Accurasacle do customer acconts....!

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Am I seeing things correctly - the triple packs A, B and C seem to have the same style of body and buffers so the only difference between the 9 wagons is the numbering?

Quite correct. There were a quarter of a million of the real things and many people will need far more than three differently-numbered ones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Am I seeing things correctly - the triple packs A, B and C seem to have the same style of body and buffers so the only difference between the 9 wagons is the numbering?

Essentially, yes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I’m not sure if this particular announcement will satisfy the 50/60/70/80s era modellers clamouring for more steam and green/blue diesel locos.

when is the next steam loco announcement? (asking on their behalf) 🤔

when is the next D&E (inc post privatisation) loco or rolling stock announcement, please? 🤔 

Beyond the class 40, the 16t mineral is about the most hotly anticipated announcement from Accurascale.

I was going to make some jokey comment about how surprising the annoucement was, how uttlerly out of the blue the choice of a small coal wagon was, how leftfield of anything Accurascale have ever introduced it was.

The 16t mineral is one of the most important wagons on any model railway that deals with the post war period right up the late 1980s.

Just like a Pannier, one can never have too many mineral wagons if your railway covers BR up to sectorisation.

What a pity it is that my 4mm steam stuff relates to the 1930s and my BR stuff is in N, perhaps next weekend something good will come for that latter element.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1