EFE Rail - Winter 2023 Announcements inc. Southern 'Booster'

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Graham_Muz said:

I have the Judith Edge kit to build as well, so don't need another, so read into that what you will...

I suppose those at Edge Towers will be breathing a sigh of relief!

CJI.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Also, a couple of date questions about CC1.
Is there a definitive date for when the protective plates around the front windows were removed?

And is there a definitive date for when it was repainted into Malachite livery?

Please disregard, found the answers 👍

Edited by Obsidian Quarry

Hurrah, so I can finally bin the old MTK kit that has been haunting, and I mean haunting, the back of the cupboard for many years!  As a Booster aside, several of the SR booster sets were installed at Strawberry Hill depot, supplemented later by a couple of the class 71 sets. They were used to power up the Shepperton branch as as means of isolating it from the main SR power supply. This was required when various new and potentially exciting new electric units and traction packages were being tested, and prevented stray currents and any other unwanted interference escaping, especially to the signalling circuits.

However the downside of the set up was that when the boosters powered up, the noise was truly awful, prompting many complaints, and the then in joke was that they had received complaints from the residents of the adjacent Shacklegate Lane Cemetery!  Sound proofed enclosures were next . . . ! I expect that they are still there?

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

Also, a couple of date questions about CC1.
Is there a definitive date for when the protective plates around the front windows were removed?

And is there a definitive date for when it was repainted into Malachite livery?

As far as i can tell as I do not have definitive dates, the protective plates were removed by early 1942, and she gained the malachite green livery mid 1942 .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Very nice, but it's bending rule 1 too far for me.

Rule 1 by its very nature does not need bending as it's Rule 1, therefore you can have one!

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Right - as we appear to be clearing out the late SR 'oddities', who is game for 11001?

CJI.

Hello cctransuk

No.11001 has featured in The Quirky Poll  (which we now run every two years).

It has been High Polling and you will be able to vote for it when we run in December.

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 01/11/2023 at 14:01, Phatbob said:

Is there a decoration era on model E84002?
I've found a photo of this loco showing that it had a BR coach roundall, not a BR ferrit and dartboard logo.
https://dieselfutures.tumblr.com/post/611296436072611840/bulleidraworth-co-co-electric-locomotive

No, I have a photograph that shows 20002 in the condition as per the model. She gained the BR coach roundall later (and OHLE warning labels). 

Extract below to preserve copyright

20002extract.jpg.bfa12f16fd08887e2511178c7697a715.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, maico said:

Is CC2 with the post war British Railways lettering finished in experimental blue?

https://sremg.org.uk/electric/class70.shtml

FYE would be another variation batch 2 could offer

31043015532_c8334e5a4b_b.jpg

The five liveries being produced are as per the OP. There are a of course a number of other livery and tooling combinations that could be produced in the future...

sCC2 in  ultramarine blue with silver lettering and lines would certainly make an interesting variation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Iskra said:

Can anyone confirm on the Class 144 Regional Railways, one destination is Lincoln, what is the other unshown end please? (I'm assuming Sheffield)

All the images I've got access to just show the 'Lincoln' end. It may be worth dropping Bachmann an email.

• RMweb Gold

Great news Graham, and great that you and Kernow have done the Hornby in conjunction with Bachmann. I have ordered two of the first production versions from Paul at Alton Model Centre. I am old enough ( just) to remember seeing one on a level crossing somewhere near Newhaven in black and silver livery. At the time I was both disappointed (it wasn't a steam engine) and impressed (it was a very different type of loco and a bit of a revelation to a small boy). Thanks!

All the best

Godfrey

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

Great news Graham, and great that you and Kernow have done the Hornby in conjunction with Bachmann. I have ordered two of the first production versions from Paul at Alton Model Centre. I am old enough ( just) to remember seeing one on a level crossing somewhere near Newhaven in black and silver livery. At the time I was both disappointed (it wasn't a steam engine) and impressed (it was a very different type of loco and a bit of a revelation to a small boy). Thanks!

All the best

Godfrey

As a slightly bigger boy,I remember seeing them from an antique SR suburban electric at Victoria waiting to depart with the Newhaven boat train

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Iskra said:

Can anyone confirm on the Class 144 Regional Railways, one destination is Lincoln, what is the other unshown end please? (I'm assuming Sheffield)

It's Lincoln and Sheffield according to the information provided to retailers. https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/86528/E83032-EFE-Rail-Class-144-2-Car-DMU-144013 BR-Regional-Railways 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The booster is a marvellous machine.  On this website there is an intriguing picture  of CC1 in what appears to be a rather racy two-tone livery.

Any ideas what colours were involved?  And what about those 'eyebrows'!

Maybe as mentioned in this post upthread?

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The booster is a marvellous machine.  On this website there is an intriguing picture  of CC1 in what appears to be a rather racy two-tone livery.

Any ideas what colours were involved?  And what about those 'eyebrows'!

As stated above it was two time grey the area between the body side white lines was a darker grey. 

It never left Ashford in this livery. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2