Modelling a Complete Fleet

ISW

10 hours ago, ISW said:

@Dunalastair recently commented (flippantly, I'm sure) in @young37215 topic "West Highland Line V4, a 1980's West Highland Line layout" that with 11 Class 37s on his layout, that left only 298 more to go (to complete the 309 built).

Which begs the question, has anyone modelled a 'complete fleet' of locos (or anything else, for that matter) on their layout? Yes, I suppose this has been done for small (low single digit) fleets of obscure / speciality rolling stock. But how about 'mainstream' ## rolling stock?

I think @25kV might have done the entire Class APT-P fleet?

## - I'm leaving this deliberately vague

Ian

Not quite the whole fleet ... yet.  I'm slowly aiming to create the fleet as it was in late 1980, which will be sort-of six of the seven trailer units (of which four will be "operational").  I probably won't go as far as modelling all the vehicles built, since many were used only briefly, and some probably not at all.  Famous last words...  😉

17 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

I have the entire APT fleet!

Andi 

Pics!  😄 

(I admit to probably having sufficient 1980 Hornby bits lying around that I could probably built the whole fleet, but that's a project for another lifetime now, I think!)

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Ask @Clive Mortimore how many Baby Deltics he built 

Andi

If I must.

100_5181d.jpg.20a645869a92f4cd7676a3195c168d88.jpg

Front row 10 started scratch builds, 6 cut and shuts, plus one Heljan hiding at the back. Not finished as yet as my modelling has moved away form the southern end of the GN mainline. D5908 (second left) was built originally in 1982, and by now should have fallen apart as plastic card becomes brittle.

D5912.jpg.df7d254b372a7b533e4b25b4a7598214.jpg

A proposed rebuild with a single big Deltic engine. 

D6207.jpg.44ba7401d7aa9cf576e87c3497a6e6ed.jpg

Another proposal to re-engine them was to fit a 8 cylinder V engine (uprated class 20 block) which in may ways was re-proposal of a type 2 the same size as a Baby Deltic with the class 20 engine, hence my model is of the original idea not the revamped one  so not numbered in the Baby Deltic series.

I have made a few more Baby Deltics for mates before Heljan usurped me. 

• Like 2

My W & U fleet consists of J70 x2 (kit + Rapido)

Y6 u/c (kit)

4w tram coach (kit)

modified 04 diesel

bogie tram coach (Rapido in Hattons trunk)

bogie tram coach kit u/c

brake coach 3D)

the coach used for accounting on freights (3D)

plus of course normal freight wagons!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 25kV said:

Pics!  😄 

(I admit to probably having sufficient 1980 Hornby bits lying around that I could probably built the whole fleet, but that's a project for another lifetime now, I think!)

You'll have to wait until I've got a layout up...

Andi (busy wiring helices)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

RTR is not far off being able to supply the entire current loco and carriage fleet of the combined Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways.  Decent size shed, some judicious compression, enough headroom for the lower slopes of Yr Wyddfa, Cnicht, and Moelwyn, and it might be possible to model the entire system with it's stock!!!  Aircraft Hanger and you could do it to scale, with the SMR, Llanberis, and mountain summits!  Couple of Faller-type vehicles winding their way steadily along the main roads...

Just sayin'!

• Round of applause 1

2 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

RTR is not far off being able to supply the entire current loco and carriage fleet of the combined Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways.  Decent size shed, some judicious compression, enough headroom for the lower slopes of Yr Wyddfa, Cnicht, and Moelwyn, and it might be possible to model the entire system with it's stock!!!  Aircraft Hanger and you could do it to scale, with the SMR, Llanberis, and mountain summits!  Couple of Faller-type vehicles winding their way steadily along the main roads...

Just sayin'!

Not even close when it comes to the coaching stock I'm afraid. They make a few of the vintage carriages, but not one of the coaches that are in everyday service such as the "Barns" and the modern WHR stock.

https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/FR_Carriages

https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/WHR_Carriages#Carriages_built_new_for_the_WHR

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You could model the entire fleet of locos and stock which passed through Dingwall for instance in around 1987 fairly easily, 5 X 37s and 4 train sets I believe after the bridge fell down. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I believe @Phil Bullock of this parish had models of all 33 Class 43 Warships - perhaps he'll pop in to confirm?!😁

Oh yes! Here they all are with the nearest to a real one at Toddington

DSCN7937.JPG.005c94f9d36816c8cdca8213631ef641.JPG

A team effort between son James and yours truly.D842 and D857 have gone back in to works for livery adjustments....

D832 is of course a 42 not a 43 but she does have NBL pattern fan grilles .... and ISTR originally had engine mountings to take MANs so perhaps a little of the spirit lives on.

If the fleet floats your boat come and see us at the Redditch show next March where no doubt a highly improbable number of Warships will appear on the layout....

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, DCB said:

You could model the entire fleet of locos and stock which passed through Dingwall for instance in around 1987 fairly easily, 5 X 37s and 4 train sets I believe after the bridge fell down. 

Oh, now I qualify.

I actually did that with Lima trainset 37419’s renumbered at the time !

my notes have Stranded at Muir of Ord in 1989 was 37414/5/7/8/9 in 1990 this was reduced to 418/9/20

156’s at Muir of Ord was 156446/457/474/477/478

on the subject of 37/4’s… all 31 have been made rtr, some like 37401 been done 6+ times !!! 

37401 in RFD, EWS and Mainline by Lima

37401 in L/l and Royal Scotsman by viTrains

37401 in Mainline by Bachmann

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
On 07/11/2023 at 09:33, Michael Hodgson said:

...or a collection of all the 16T steel mineral wagons !!

300,000 of them from a quick google - it's easier to model the entire 10,000 strong HAA (and variations) fleet!

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Welly said:

300,000 of them from a quick google - it's easier to model the entire 10,000 strong HAA (and variations) fleet!

So how many Mark 1 coaches?

Remember, that these are roughly the length of 3 16 Ton Minerals, so track storage length is significant, although probably less than that required for all the minerals!