Clark Railworks 4mm OO WD Austerity 2-10-0

Chris-ECT

11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Quite a few were overhauled at Brighton - including 90766 which conveniently appears on the list to be produced and in photo https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/BRStandardSteam/WD-Austerity/WD-Austerity-2100/WD-2100-Pre-1968/i-KVXvfqJ above.

Which gives the perfect excuse for them to be run in perfect and unweathered condition!

• Like 2

Very nice indeed, I think I can justify a pair.

A query before I pre-order.  The two BR early crest models have different product numbers (C1003 and C1004) and the images show different versions of the model (C1004 having a Westinghouse pump), whereas the three late crest models have variations of the same product number (C1006A, B and C) suggesting that they are all based on the same version.  Am I right in interpreting this as meaning that C1004  will indeed have a Westinghouse pump, and if so do we know what date the locomotive (90772) had this removed?

Good afternoon all,

Over the past four years of researching, designing and producing models, we have always been open and honest about how we operate.

We’re never above criticism and we love to invite feedback. One area we have received a large amount of feedback on is the chip socket for the DCC ready option (not the DCC sound option).

Well, we hear you!

Originally, we chose the option of an 8-pin DCC plug socket, with easy access under the front pony truck.

After receiving feedback on this, we have changed it to a Next18 socket. It’s in the same place with easy access. Simply unscrew the front pony truck, drop the socket out, plug your chip in, clip it back in place and you’re off!

For any of you coming to see us at Warley, we'll have a physical 3D printed sample of the WD 2-10-0 as well as the latest Engineering prototypes for our Quad Art Coaches too. See you there!

Chris

405011956_821700909966056_6244144881043678490_n.jpg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Chris-ECT said:

Ater receiving feedback on this, we have changed it to a Next18 socket. It’s in the same place with easy access. Simply unscrew the front pony truck, drop the socket out, plug your chip in, clip it back in place and you’re off!

and minus a pony truck ?

Seriously however does that not open issues of pony truck screws not being properly retightened or over tightened. The simplest most obvious place IMO for a decoder on a tender loco is under a  removable coal load

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

24 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

and minus a pony truck ?

Seriously however does that not open issues of pony truck screws not being properly retightened or over tightened. The simplest most obviosu place IMO for a decoder on a tender loco is under a  removable coal load

Hi Butler, 

We did consider placing the DCC socket in the tender but a few complications soon appeared with this solution, The first being the unsightly large electrical connector required between the locomotive and tender, feeding that required amount of wires would in our opinion detract from a super detailed model

Also as modellers prefer to fill the coal space with a real coal load and secure it using diluted PVA or Super glue we wanted to avoid this causing any issues with the electrical system. 

Hope this helps? 

Kind regards, 

Chris

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

34 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

Would it not be better to have the next18 in the Smokebox? Have the smokebox door removable? Will the loco have stay alive fitted? I’m surprised there is no electrical connection for pick ups in the tender? 

Not keen on removable smoke box doors, often too much delicate detail in danger of being damaged. Also, and could be the case with the arrangement proposed here, have had one where the socket was dead due to at least one wire coming detached at ats apparently fixed end. If the pull out arrangement is being pursued then the wires need to be securely clamped so they are not depending on an often poorly soldered connection to hold them in place.

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Not keen on removable smoke box doors, often too much delicate detail in danger of being damaged. Also, and could be the case with the arrangement proposed here, have had one where the socket was dead due to at least one wire coming detached at ats apparently fixed end. If the pull out arrangement is being pursued then the wires need to be securely clamped so they are not depending on an often poorly soldered connection to hold them in place.

Might I urge caution?

Design by committee rarely turns out well!

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

Would it not be better to have the next18 in the Smokebox? Have the smokebox door removable? Will the loco have stay alive fitted? I’m surprised there is no electrical connection for pick ups in the tender? 

We originally considered having the smoke box door removable, however our CAD engineer Nikki was not keen on the risk of gapping between the door and smoke box. With this she decided to place the chip between the cylinders for neat and easy access.

There is  small connector between the loco and tender for pick-ups. All tender wheels have pick-ups fitted as do the locomotive drivers

I think it is worth mentioning as we may have not covered it in the initial spec that every DC model will be pre fitted with a speaker to save any hassle of opening up the model

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Silly question @Chris-ECT, but how are you arranging the sound fitted DCC decoder and speakers?

Good evening Ian we will be showing more information on this in the coming weeks. Essentially there will be a nice hi quality speaker placed below the chimney in a custom surround to make the best of the space.

The project is awaiting the return of 90775 to traffic and like out 7mm Black 5 will be an entirely bespoke project

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The one interesting development of KRs is DCC smoke. I am fairly confident the market will be moving more and more there now that firebox glow is common. Of course I have no doubt of the greater experience and expertise of Clarks Railworks over KR so my order stays put.

However I would kindly like to suggest @Chris-ECT please kindly consider a deluxe smoke version.

(though I suspect the development process is now too far to consider it - though TRS trains would be in excellent position to advise).

With a lot of comments regarding the arrival of KR to the WD party. I have just have a good chat with the Ellis Clark team at Warley. They have already reached the tooling stage and had a great 3D printed model on show. 

I already have mine preordered so will stick where I’m at. I’m impressed with the proposed level of detail planned. 

Nothing against KR I have a Class 40 on order and bought 9 cracking ore wagons recently 

• Like 9

We are still in the early stages of finalising the DCC sound aspect of this project. 

We have arranged with the M&GN society to sound record 90775 once she returns to traffic. Once this is completed the final speaker fit out will be tailored to get the best from the project to recreate the locomotives a well as possible. I appreciate details on this are vague at best at the moment but as it progresses we will be keeping you all informed, we have worked hard to get the best from our 7mm Black 5 project and the WD will receive the same close attention too. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Had a good chat with the CAD person (sorry didn't get their name, I'm rubbish at this -EDIT also rubbish at reading a topic before posting, sorry Nikki 😉) Sunday morning whilst examining the 3D print. Was very impressed with the overall approach to this model and some great advice offered to further my own 3D designing too!

I'm certain where my money will be going should I have some spare for a 2-10-0 to (almost) complete my BR Standard collection

BR livery late 50's early 60's please 😁

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 2

On 22/11/2023 at 23:27, 64F said:

Very nice indeed, I think I can justify a pair.

A query before I pre-order.  The two BR early crest models have different product numbers (C1003 and C1004) and the images show different versions of the model (C1004 having a Westinghouse pump), whereas the three late crest models have variations of the same product number (C1006A, B and C) suggesting that they are all based on the same version.  Am I right in interpreting this as meaning that C1004  will indeed have a Westinghouse pump, and if so do we know what date the locomotive (90772) had this removed?

Sorry for the delayed reply, feedback and comments have been somewhat overwhelming but humbling and we are trying to work through and reply to everyone.

You are correct, the different last number rather than addition of a letter means I feature change. In this case you are also spot on 90772 C1004 features a Westinghouse pump were as C1003 90751 has the air gear removed.

I have no concrete date on the removal of the air gear from 90751 but it was re allocated in 1958 so I would guess around this time as there are images of 90751 in 1962 with the gear removed. I am sure some one on here will have the info when or if the pump was removed and where. I will however keep digging and if I do find out I will share the info on here

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very close to hitting the pre-order button, but first, does anyone know for definite which crest the available locos from CRW carried in 1958?

Ideally I'd like to pick one that could have had a holiday down into the Midlands and appear on Summat Colliery 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

It is not apparent from the pics, but the cab backhead pipework is a separate part rather than being moulded to the backhead. Another step forward 😁

We had a nice display board to show some of the fine detail parts, I will get these photographed tomorrow so you can all see some of the separate details.

1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

Very close to hitting the pre-order button, but first, does anyone know for definite which crest the available locos from CRW carried in 1958?

Ideally I'd like to pick one that could have had a holiday down into the Midlands and appear on Summat Colliery 😉

Any of the Early Crest models (not including C1005Z 90775) would be perfect for you in 1958. You may just be able to get away with a Late Crest but this would be very close on your chosen year.

• RMweb Gold

How does this Ellis Clark model compare with the Austerity that KR Models have announced?  As the KR thread has been locked at birth it is difficult to discuss.

Hopefully KR will send a spec to RMweb so that a fair comparision can be made before committing funds to a model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4