Clark Railworks 4mm OO WD Austerity 2-10-0

Chris-ECT

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Says on the Rails email that Dame Vera is modelled as last running in preservation

The 3-D print definitely shows it as running in its preserved condition - dead easy to spot if you know what to look for.   Its detail condition makes it  unsuitable for this particular engine at any any other time it might have run, or been moved, in Britain.   And I'm faoirly sure that its detail condition is different from that of any WD 2-10-0 that has run in Britain as it is a conversion to right hand drive.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

... Longmoor is described on the website as "as preserved" and "era 3". ...But she wasn't preserved until 1952, so that would be Era 4.  ...

73755 was built in April 1945 and shipped abroad on the 9th of May - so any work she did before preservation would have been in the Netherlands.

• Like 2

Always wondered about that loco ........... presumably the name plates were added when she was being prepared for shipment at Longmoor - how did someone elect that particular machine to be  "The 1000th British Built Freight Locomotive Ferried to Europe since 'D' Day" and, then, how much* care was taken to ensure it got to Dover, got loaded** and got unloaded** in the right sequence - bearing in mind there were probably fifteen other locos on the ship.

* if any

** not sure whether loading or unloading - in reverse order - counts as "Ferried" !

Edited by Wickham Green too

6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

… how did someone elect that particular machine to be  "The 100th British Built Freight Locomotive Ferried to Europe since 'D' Day" …

Well, this article shows how the “average” American diesel out of a national fleet of about 29,500 was determined in 1981:

https://cs.trains.com/ctr/b/mileposts/archive/2020/10/22/a-moment-with-j-d-i-s-diesel.aspx

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

how did someone elect that particular machine to be  "The 1000th British Built Freight Locomotive Ferried to Europe since 'D' Day"

I feel you realise that this is only and ever a paper exercise, mostly likely based on shipping manifests or some similar documentation: IF (big if) the person responsible bothered to do anything so systematic! Just get those pretty plates on a loco that's within credible range of the thousandth to land, post D-Day, job done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The fact is that the plates were fitted before the loco was loaded onto the ferry so there must have been some forethought. They may, of course, have been fitted on the dockside before loading - but why 'Longmoor' if they weren't fitted there ? ( The locos were prepared for shipping at Longmoor-- but that's a pretty tenuous link.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2023 at 15:13, Fair Oak Junction said:

I do find the product descriptions are a bit ambiguous until we get colour renders of all of them.

Longmoor is described on the website as "as preserved" and "era 3". Era 3 going by the standard system ends at 1947, so that means it would be in as built or as in service condition.

But she wasn't preserved until 1952, so that would be Era 4.

So is she "as preserved" (i.e. stuffed and mounted in a museum) or is she "Era 3" (as running under the WD)?

I'm really hoping for the latter so she has a reason to be run 🤞

(Her museum condition is fine for "in service", it just needs black bufferbeams)

I recall talking with someone at Utrecht when I saw it a few years ago.

The loco has been repainted a couple of times in preservation, but under the hood its as built… It wasnt used in war service, it arrived too late. It went in to storage in France.

When it was sold to NS, it wasnt until 1947 it finally entered service after Dutch modifications,  they only needed it for a few years during electrification rebuilding.

As such at 5 years usage, Its most likely never been boiler lifted, on its original tyres etc, with mostly as fitted, from new, parts… I dont think any other UK loco can beat that level of originality, not even 92220.

Apparently when scrapped the boilers off these were sold to industry in Holland.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi, on the br database it is showing that the last sheds for 90755 and 90763 and 90767 were March, Carlisle Kingmoor and Motherwell. Will the models carry shed plates for those depots when they come out? 
also is the plan still to do oil burners next including 3672?

thanks Fred

On 05/12/2023 at 15:29, RedgateModels said:

I'll be honest, as a modeller I'm not a fan of this Era thing that I think Bachmann started (happy to be corrected). I'd much rather a date range was quoted. 

I can see the appeal for Gen Pop though.

Era (No) means Notting to me so I have to go look & find out as you say a date range is Much easier 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2023 at 15:43, Fredo said:

Hi, on the br database it is showing that the last sheds for 90755 and 90763 and 90767 were March, Carlisle Kingmoor and Motherwell. Will the models carry shed plates for those depots when they come out? 
also is the plan still to do oil burners next including 3672?

thanks Fred

Surprising, I didn’t realise and of the WD 2-10-0s were allocated to March in BR days, I thought they were all in Scotland.  They may have worked from March for a while when new before moving to Scotland later; perhaps this is an area where the BR Database information is incomplete?

• Agree 2

On 21/12/2023 at 15:43, Fredo said:

Hi, on the br database it is showing that the last sheds for 90755 and 90763 and 90767 were March, 

WD 2-10-0 73774-99 90750-90774 ( built June-Sept 1945)

The BRDatabase notes that 73774-73783 (90750-90769) were sent to March shed in June/July 1945, presumably on construction. In June 1947 they were "in store" at Longmoor and a number of them in January 1948 were at Eastleigh Works being overhauled, where presumably they were renumbered into British Railways 907XX series.

The British Transport Commission purchased 533 2-8-0 and 25 2-10-0 in October 1948, which were "on paper" taken into Eastern Region stock (see Heavy Goods Engines of the War Department Vol 3 by JWP Rowledge) albeit the 2-10-0 locomotives were all allocated to Scotland, albeit 90757 was sent on loan to the Southern for a few days in September 1952 on test runs.

Paul

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulG said:

WD 2-10-0 73774-99 90750-90774 ( built June-Sept 1945)

The BRDatabase notes that 73774-73783 (90750-90769) were sent to March shed in June/July 1945, presumably on construction. In June 1947 they were "in store" at Longmoor and a number of them in January 1948 were at Eastleigh Works being overhauled, where presumably they were renumbered into British Railways 907XX series.

The British Transport Commission purchased 533 2-8-0 and 25 2-10-0 in October 1948, which were "on paper" taken into Eastern Region stock (see Heavy Goods Engines of the War Department Vol 3 by JWP Rowledge) albeit the 2-10-0 locomotives were all allocated to Scotland, albeit 90757 was sent on loan to the Southern for a few days in September 1952 on test runs.

Paul

All very good. However Fedo is asking about the last sheds as he refers to the late crest models.

I have no information about one of them mothing to March in that period.

Bernard

1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

All very good. However Fedo is asking about the last sheds as he refers to the late crest models.

I have no information about one of them mothing to March in that period.

Bernard

That was my point, in BR days all the class based in Scotland, except a few days trial on Southern. Just trying give some background information.

The member of the class on the NNR in BR livery and March shed code is at the bequest of the original owner, and has no historic basis. 

Paul

• Like 2

From the Locomotion advert above:

…The locomotive's (90774) first British Railways allocation was to 66C Hamilton (West). After three months it was reallocated to 68A Carlisle Kingmoor on 15th May 1954, 65F Grangemouth on 16th April 1955 and finally 84H Wellinton where the engine remained until 13th December 1962 when it was withdrawn …

Eh??? Where are the pictures?? 

As opposing evidence:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78965852@N03/8499492397

Note that the nameplates (at least on the fireman’s side) have been removed by this date.

Edited by pH
  • Agree 1

On 17/11/2023 at 18:28, Michael Delamar said:

Thank you.

Here is 90763 on Walton shed Liverpool which I will recreate.

IMG_7800.jpeg

Just looking at the allocations, not all these locos were allocated to Scottish sheds in BR days, although Kingmoor was a Scottish shed (68A) before becoming 12A under the LMR in 1958. Other than 90763, whose final shed was Kingmoor from July 1960 when 12A, all the others were allocated to Scottish sheds when withdrawn.

My Ian Allan ABC Locoshed Book, Summer 1960, shows 90763 allocated to 6F, Bidston on the Wirral. It would be interesting to know what work it did there.

Further checking in the Irwell Press, 'The Book of' series, covering the WD 2-8-0s and

2-10-0s, 90763 is shown allocated as follows:-

March 21/7/45 (as 73787), WD 10/46, Kingmoor 20/5/50 (as 90763 from 4/50),

Doncaster 17/5/52*,  Grangemouth 6/9/52, Kingmoor 1/11/52, Bidston 5/9/59,

Kingmoor 16/7/60, Withdrawn 12/62

*The Doncaster allocation also covers the period when it was sent for trials on the SR.

The allocation to Bidston makes sense of the above photo at Walton on the Hill shed, 27E.

The Irwell book gives the allocations of all 25 engines. It does not show works visits although a number of photos have an Eastleigh caption and it would appear that at least some of these were used, maybe on running in turns, while down South. No engines were allocated to March after being placed into store by the WD in 1946.

73774 ( 90750 from 3/51) while allocated to Hornsey took part in the freight locomotive category of the1948 Locomotive Exchanges on the following dates**:-

Midland Region 14 and 16 July

Eastern Region  10 and 12 August

Western Region 20 August

Southern Region 24 August

** information taken from Wikipedia

Seasons greetings to everyone who contributes or reads RMweb.

• Like 3

Good evening all, 

I thought I'd call in to answer a few questions. As a side note the ECT pages will be taken over by another staff member as I leave the company officially on the 1st.

I haven't access to the direct information so I am going off what I know to be correct from last being in the office. 

The three late Crest models will carry allocations as follows: 

90755 - shed code tbc via someone in the office (This has been confirmed but I can not access the info and it is not stared on BR database) 

90763 - 12A

90767 - 66B

March was an initial "allocation" for the class until over haul. Once the locomotive’s had been refurbished they pretty much went directly to Scotland. I have no solid evidence any of the class were allocated in active service "down south" other than running in turns out of Eastleigh.

90773 and 90775 for Rails will be done in early 1950s condition just prior to the removal of their nameplates. This choice allowed them to add more verity of liveries to the range. With that 90774 certainly was a Grangemouth engine (65F) until the end and I suspect the allocation notes have been moxed up with the SLS notes which have 774 as a Wellington engine in the early 50s.

Hope this helps to clear any confusion up? I will try and pop in as and when while Ellis finds someone to take over

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had to modify my pre-order for these today, and I must thank Amey at ECT for such fast, friendly, and helpful service. It's such a pleasure to deal with many of the newer manufacturers as they put such an emphasis on providing fantastic customer service as well as wonderful models👌

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/11/2023 at 14:51, timbo2857 said:

Me too, yes it’s expensive, and Accurascale have managed all of those features on their manors for less than £200, though I’d hope for a better motor on this WD.

Better motor would have purchased if fitted with a 5 pole as wanted 90763

• 2 months later...

Not sure whether those colours need to be tweaked - but the cylinder lining should be a square panel from LMR days until at least 1982 on the SVR ..... I don't know what exact period the model's meant to represent.

9_33.jpg.0ab44c726cddd448cc2b56674d182e7d.jpg

Shildon ; 31/8/75

Edited by Wickham Green too
NOT Rainhill, you idiot !
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1