Clark Railworks 4mm OO WD Austerity 2-10-0

Chris-ECT

6 hours ago, Standards_in_OO said:

Great to see all the main preservation examples produced in the first run. It has to be Dame Vera Lynn for me to bring back the 90’s nostalgia NYMR visits as a child. 

My father (who would have got a telegram from the King this year if he were still with us) said his mates had pin-ups of various other women on their lockers during the war but Vera Lynn wasn't one of them.  Said his unit had to attend a performance that was being broadcast - when they would rather have been given a few hours leave and go into town ... and they were ordered to cheer this "horse-faced woman".  So he always objected to the description "Forces Sweetheart" as propaganda.

So if I do get one of these locos., it won't be that one.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

21 hours ago, Chris-ECT said:

Working Sprung Screw Link Couplings

Possibly the most interesting factory fitted feature I've seen suggested for a long while in rtr 00.

If these can be made to work reliably (without knocking off all the other detailing parts fitted) then the argument over "scale couplings" is pretty much solved imo.

Yes I know curve radius etc but that's what makes it interesting to see someone trying. And I'm not bothered by the "hand of god" - british railways were mostly coupled by hand so it's the most 'prototypical' method.

Would be nice to see how they achieve this as well. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

As a usually H0 scale modeller - I am tempted!

This is a very high specification model (brass bearings, die cast metal boiler, chassis etc) and for this specification in H0, I would expect to pay more than the quoted price so yes, it’s expensive but I’d rather pay for quality than quantity.

Well done Clark Railworks.

Giannis.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Giannis Halkis said:

As a usually H0 scale modeller - I am tempted!

This is a very high specification model (brass bearings, die cast metal boiler, chassis etc) and for this specification in H0, I would expect to pay more than the quoted price so yes, it’s expensive but I’d rather pay for quality than quantity.

Well done Clark Railworks.

Giannis.

Exactly - I’ve gone for Gordon as a big part of my childhood. It’s expensive but seems fair.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Phatbob said:

A stationary loco left unattended in Liverpool? 😲

It's a good job that steam locos don't have hubcaps. 😉😂🤣

I was told by someone who did it that gauge glasses were nicked off engines (out of steam) on Kipps shed in LNER days. They were then used as peashooters.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 17/11/2023 at 12:00, Chris-ECT said:

Clark Railworks 4mm OO WD Austerity 2-10-0

Clark Railworks are proud to announce our first OO gauge 1:76.2 - 4mm scale steam locomotive. The War Department Austerity 2-10-0.

When we entered the OO market with the Quads, we said we wanted to make an impact. That’s the exact reason for choosing a loco as striking and impressive as the WD 2-10-0.

As you can see from the CADs, and just like our Black 5 in O gauge, the detailing and quality of components was of paramount importance - as I’m sure you can see from the multitude of pipes, separately fitted parts and underside detailing.

The model has been fully designed and engineered in the UK and will feature a high quality coreless motor and a high quality gear train, alongside catering for left and right hand drive variants, we will also be producing a range of liveries including LMR Blue, WD Khaki Green, BR Black Early & Late Crest, and Brunswick Green. 

We would like to express our sincere thanks to the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway Society (M&GN), the volunteers and staff at the North Norfolk Railway, Ian Foot and the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, The Severn Valley Railway (SVR) and the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway (KWVR).

Without their invaluable help and passion for their respective engines, this project would not have been what it is.

All versions are available to pre-order with no upfront costs at www.clarkrailworks.com

DCC Ready - £295

DCC sound models expected to be  £395 - £425

Due Q2 2025

Specification

DC/DCC Ready

Die-cast Boiler, Smokebox & Chassis

Brass & Plastic Constructed Tender

Injection Moulded Cab & Fine Details

High Quality Coreless Motor

Finely Applied Separate Pipework

Separately Fitted Cab Backhead Detailing

Individual Specific Locomotive Details

Fully Detailed Wheels & Axles

Working Sprung Screw Link Couplings

Sprung Buffers

Left & Right Hand Drive Locomotives

Factory Fitted DCC Sound Versions Available

Finely detailed external and underside detailing

Brass Bearings fitted to all Axles

Firebox Glow

Metal Cylinder Liners for Smooth Operation & Longevity

Plug “N” Play 8-Pin DCC Easy Access Harness

Fully Removable Front & Rear Tension Lock Coupling

Liveries

WD Green

Longmoor Military Railway Blue 

BR Black

BR Black Early Crest

BR Black Late Crest

Brunswick Green

Pre-order yours now at: www.clarkrailworks.com

multi a.png

Norfolk.jpg

WD Dame Vera.jpg

iii.png

jjj.png

What minimum radius are we looking at for this WD?

• Like 1

On 18/11/2023 at 16:23, Helmdon said:

Exactly - I’ve gone for Gordon as a big part of my childhood. It’s expensive but seems fair.

Me too, yes it’s expensive, and Accurascale have managed all of those features on their manors for less than £200, though I’d hope for a better motor on this WD.

Edited by timbo2857
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Is there any sign / chance of Gordon returning to steam?

Al.

If people are desperate to see a big engine in LMR blue, they could always support the restoration of Gordon’s neighbour 48773 at the Engine House. She was at the LMR from 1952 to 1957, and although she only wore WD black I think it would be very legitimate for her to be done out in LMR lined blue- far greater crimes against liveries have been committed over the years…

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Is there any sign / chance of Gordon returning to steam?

Al.

No. Why, becuase the railway has just spent 1.3 million on restoring Hagley. The railway is as you know struggling off the back of the pandemic and massive rise in the cost of coal from about 100 to over £500 per ton and the average engine burns 2 tons per day. The cold hard reality is smaller locos cost less to restore and are more economical. The best size being around a class 4.  Gordon is very, very big would ne at least a 1 million pound overhaul whereas to say restore something like 1501 might only be 500,000. 

Lots of footplate crews that worked on it are very glad it stays nice and warm in the Engine House, its a pig to get to steam, awful to get coal down in the tender and inveriably the hydrostatic needed refilling part way through the day and trying to do that is one heck of a job with lots and lots of cold water. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 18/11/2023 at 11:55, Giannis Halkis said:

...this is a very high specification model (brass bearings, die cast metal boiler, chassis etc) and for this specification in H0, I would expect to pay more than the quoted price...

For reasons known only to their inept management at the time, Hornby have been 'mining' proven HO technique of this sort for their smaller steam models for over ten years; without making any effort to promote it, and for no price premium.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, timbo2857 said:

What minimum radius are we looking at for this WD?

The underside picture is similarly proportioned to existing R2 capable RTR OO 9Fs, (visual comparison of gauge to chassis block width) and the real WD is about 2' shorter in coupled wheelbase than the 9F too, which helps. Obviously needs official confirmation from the Brand.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MichaelM said:

Ooooo I like the look of this!  Does anyone know if this ever showed its face Brighton way?

Two pictures of 2-10-0s in front of Southern Region locos (unfortunately at unidentified locations):

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/BRStandardSteam/WD-Austerity/WD-Austerity-2100/WD-2100-Pre-1968/i-4wM7fX8

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/BRStandardSteam/WD-Austerity/WD-Austerity-2100/WD-2100-Pre-1968/i-KVXvfqJ

One was allocated to Ashford for a short time (I know that’s not too closely linked to Brighton):

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=973781&type=S&loco=90757

If you read the “MENTIONS” section on that page, you’ll see a reference to a 2-10-0  being worked from Longmoor to Brighton for shopping.

On the ‘Hornby Forum’ website, there is a topic titled “WD austerity 2-10-0”. One of the posts in the topic says “Some of the 2-10-0s were overhauled at Brighton, and then worked a few turns on freight work again on the Central Division before heading to Scotland.” From the context, I think this refers to them being initially modified for use on BR.

And anyway, there’s always Rule 1.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MichaelM said:

Ooooo I like the look of this!  Does anyone know if this ever showed its face Brighton way?

Not quite Brighton but 73774 was used on the Exchange Trials freight runs between Eastleigh and Bristol via Salisbury in May/June 1948. 

exch_wd2100_1.jpeg.686f24f116f8ba56e816330e0d966e3d.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, pH said:

Two pictures of 2-10-0s in front of Southern Region locos (unfortunately at unidentified locations):

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/BRStandardSteam/WD-Austerity/WD-Austerity-2100/WD-2100-Pre-1968/i-4wM7fX8

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/BRStandardSteam/WD-Austerity/WD-Austerity-2100/WD-2100-Pre-1968/i-KVXvfqJ

One was allocated to Ashford for a short time (I know that’s not too closely linked to Brighton):

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=973781&type=S&loco=90757

If you read the “MENTIONS” section on that page, you’ll see a reference to a 2-10-0  being worked from Longmoor to Brighton for shopping.

On the ‘Hornby Forum’ website, there is a topic titled “WD austerity 2-10-0”. One of the posts in the topic says “Some of the 2-10-0s were overhauled at Brighton, and then worked a few turns on freight work again on the Central Division before heading to Scotland.” From the context, I think this refers to them being initially modified for use on BR.

And anyway, there’s always Rule 1.

So I could probably get away with one popping in for a cuppa, er..so to speak.  I do get "rule one" I really do, but it's just not for me.. 

8 hours ago, MichaelM said:

... Does anyone know if this ever showed its face Brighton way?

Quite a few were overhauled at Brighton - including 90766 which conveniently appears on the list to be produced and in photo https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/BRStandardSteam/WD-Austerity/WD-Austerity-2100/WD-2100-Pre-1968/i-KVXvfqJ above.

• Like 2