Clark Railworks 4mm OO WD Austerity 2-10-0

Chris-ECT

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Not sure whether those colours need to be tweaked - but the cylinder lining should be a square panel from LMR days until at least 1982 on the SVR ..... I don't know what exact period the model's meant to represent.

9_33.jpg.0ab44c726cddd448cc2b56674d182e7d.jpg

Shildon ; 31/8/75

It is correct for it as  presently seen in The Engine House.

WOW!!

The quality of the new locomotives coming onto the market is incredible!

They all look fantastic, but for me they must all function perfectly as well.

Another well known, well-established manufacturer has regularly produced excellent looking models, but their quality control has been questionable the last decade.  Let's hope new manufacturers take this on board.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to get on and complete this kit based WD 2-10-0 or it would not get built. I have ordered a Gordon, but I need a 2-10-0 in as built condition. The observant will notice that this is a hybrid. Bachmann supplying the tender, cylinders, valve gear and brakes. The remainder is from the DJH kit, except for buffers from Lanarkshire Models. I should get a least 18 months use before one of two scenarios will occur on this model being seen. The first, and very unlikely is the comment “I see you have bought a Clark Works WD”, should my efforts fool them. What is more likely is the phrase used will be “do you know that there is a much better model of that locomotive available”

WD2-10-0 1.jpeg

WD2-10-0 2.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Cane said:

Decided to get on and complete this kit based WD 2-10-0 or it would not get built. I have ordered a Gordon, but I need a 2-10-0 in as built condition. The observant will notice that this is a hybrid. Bachmann supplying the tender, cylinders, valve gear and brakes. The remainder is from the DJH kit, except for buffers from Lanarkshire Models. I should get a least 18 months use before one of two scenarios will occur on this model being seen. The first, and very unlikely is the comment “I see you have bought a Clark Works WD”, should my efforts fool them. What is more likely is the phrase used will be “do you know that there is a much better model of that locomotive available”

WD2-10-0 1.jpeg

WD2-10-0 2.jpeg

I've never looked so closely at a WD before, when I look at that kit I see a Stanier cab, smokebox, wheels and valve gear with a Gresley Boiler.

Who designed the WD 2-8-0/2-10-0 locomotives, was it a cross company design team?

On 06/12/2023 at 09:42, Wickham Green too said:

Easier to say how many things you've built - 

55.29dusted.jpg.3c011432c232479b0e2fa3538c991b0d.jpg

HAA No.365428 : Kensington Olympia, 6/3/81 ................... I wonder what happened to it ?

I presume it was scrapped, I've had one of the plaques off it in my possession for nearly two decades.  Apologies for thread drift, I literally only just saw this post. 

PXL_20240411_152545203.jpg.c8d899c10b21c5ce155f98d597179d6c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I've never looked so closely at a WD before, when I look at that kit I see a Stanier cab, smokebox, wheels and valve gear with a Gresley Boiler.

Who designed the WD 2-8-0/2-10-0 locomotives, was it a cross company design team?

I thought they (and the BR 9f) were designed by Riddles?

11 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I thought they (and the BR 9f) were designed by Riddles?

Interesting, reading that the 2-8-0 boiler design was not popular with the LNER who asked for changes but whilst Stanier agreed it was too late to change.  I wonder if the changes were adopted then on the 2-10-0 which is why it looks like a Gresley boiler.

https://www.lner.info/locos/O/o7.php

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2023 at 22:01, Keith Turbutt said:

My Ian Allan ABC Locoshed Book, Summer 1960, shows 90763 allocated to 6F, Bidston on the Wirral. It would be interesting to know what work it did there.

Further checking in the Irwell Press, 'The Book of' series, covering the WD 2-8-0s and

2-10-0s, 90763 is shown allocated as follows:-

March 21/7/45 (as 73787), WD 10/46, Kingmoor 20/5/50 (as 90763 from 4/50),

Doncaster 17/5/52*,  Grangemouth 6/9/52, Kingmoor 1/11/52, Bidston 5/9/59,

Kingmoor 16/7/60, Withdrawn 12/62

ISTR that 90763 was trialed on the Shotton iron ore trains whilst allocated to Bidston.