Clark Railworks 4mm OO WD Austerity 2-10-0

Chris-ECT

• Administrators

Just a reminder that this is the Ellis Clark thread, NOT the KR models one. That thread is currently locked while we await an official specification, and any attempt to bring the "discussion" over here will be moderated. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

90751 pre-ordered. Quite appropriate as a resident at Motherwell when Dad was working up there just before he got married in 1962.

Still got letters he wrote to Mum at the time. Apparently the cocktail bars in Motherwell were not up to scratch 🤣

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Just a reminder that this is the Ellis Clark thread, NOT the KR models one. That thread is currently locked while we await an official specification, and any attempt to bring the "discussion" over here will be moderated. 

Probably my bad for asking how the two models compare which is a reasonable question; a question that is relevant to this thread and impossible to ask in the other.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Probably my bad for asking how the two models compare which is a reasonable question; a question that is relevant to this thread and impossible to ask in the other.

I had the opportunity to chat at length to Nikki (the Cad Engineer) at Warley and was left in no doubt as to which version would be the best 😉 CRW have an open dialogue with the Dame Vera Lynn folk too. I have no doubt theirs will be as good as it gets.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I had the opportunity to chat at length to Nikki (the Cad Engineer) at Warley and was left in no doubt as to which version would be the best 😉 CRW have an open dialogue with the Dame Vera Lynn folk too. I have no doubt theirs will be as good as it gets.

And nice to see that the print of the Clark Railworks version of that engine has the right style of reverser rod and it's on the correct side of the engine for that particular example.  So clearly their research is more than up to the game and has gone into developing variants of the model let alone the simple bit of knowing what liveries they ran in.

• Like 6

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Probably my bad for asking how the two models compare which is a reasonable question; a question that is relevant to this thread and impossible to ask in the other

Please stop the comparative elements in this topic; we haven't got time to keep herding cats. The other topic is still locked as we haven't been provided with the information requested and, without that, it would just be a continuation of the mess at the weekend.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2023 at 08:17, RedgateModels said:

Still got letters he wrote to Mum at the time. Apparently the cocktail bars in Motherwell were not up to scratch 🤣

Some things never change . They still sell Tennents ! 

Might have a look at this one as they were based in Scotland , which I think was why we never really got 9Fs 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Could try the 'squirrel concept' ... there's quite a lead time .... just a thought.

I could buy now outright as I'm fortunate financially, but not if in my opinion I think any product not just trains, is either not VFM or overpriced.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Having seen the coloured examples I have a couple of observations on the WD livery example. I have good documentation that the WD locomotives, both 2-8-0 and 2-10-0, had black buffer beams and green roofs to the cab. If any one from Clark Railworks  would care to PM me I can send the evidence. The cab roof would of course  become a dirty black after a short time in service.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

Having seen the coloured examples I have a couple of observations on the WD livery example. I have good documentation that the WD locomotives, both 2-8-0 and 2-10-0, had black buffer beams and green roofs to the cab. If any one from Clark Railworks  would care to PM me I can send the evidence. The cab roof would of course  become a dirty black after a short time in service.

Says on the Rails email that Dame Vera is modelled as last running in preservation

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Tony Cane said:

The web site says they are doing the as preserved Longmoor locomotive in WD livery. On line images show this as  having a red buffer beam with black buffers and a green cab roof.

Clarke Railworks FB page '...in preservation the loco carries BR Brunswick Green with WD branding and DVL nameplates, our model brepresents the engine in its last boiler ticket'. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Clarke Railworks FB page '...in preservation the loco carries BR Brunswick Green with WD branding and DVL nameplates, our model brepresents the engine in its last boiler ticket'. 

Yes which is fine for Dame Vera Lynn, but Longmoor is preserved in a mostly correct WD condition in the Dutch Museum.

It has red bufferbeams though, which isn't correct for WD livery.

I'm hoping ECT do it as it was in service, rather than as it is in the museum. I don't fancy having to repaint the bufferbeam of a £300 loco 😄

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I do find the product descriptions are a bit ambiguous until we get colour renders of all of them.

Longmoor is described on the website as "as preserved" and "era 3". Era 3 going by the standard system ends at 1947, so that means it would be in as built or as in service condition.

But she wasn't preserved until 1952, so that would be Era 4.

So is she "as preserved" (i.e. stuffed and mounted in a museum) or is she "Era 3" (as running under the WD)?

I'm really hoping for the latter so she has a reason to be run 🤞

(Her museum condition is fine for "in service", it just needs black bufferbeams)

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I'll be honest, as a modeller I'm not a fan of this Era thing that I think Bachmann started (happy to be corrected). I'd much rather a date range was quoted. 

I can see the appeal for Gen Pop though.

A date range and a reference source where possible would be ideal. I'm pretty good identifying loco timeframes but really struggle with properly dating rolling stock. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1