Heljan Class 44 Peak for OO

AY Mod

• Moderators

PILOT SCHEME ‘PEAKS’ – ‘OO’ GAUGE CLASS 44 JOINS HELJAN RANGE

Brian Daniels 44007 TO.jpg

Following the success of our superb ‘OO’ gauge Class 45s, we’re going back to the beginning of the BR/Sulzer Type 4 story with an all-new Class 44 ‘Peak’.

The ten Pilot Scheme locomotives were among BR’s first big diesel locomotives and their evocative mountain names helped to inspire a strong enthusiast following in their final years. Our new model will be the first to cover all the major Class 44 variations, including the experimental slotted grilles carried by D9/D10. This outstanding new model will feature an all-new body tooling with bespoke bogie and underframe parts, detailed cab interiors and much more!

Variations include bodies with original boiler water tanks and later form without tanks, plated or open boiler filler hatches, open or plated boiler filler access steps and slotted grilles on D9/D10 (see below).

Class 44 front.JPG

This high specification model also features a 21-pin DCC decoder interface and factory fitted speakers for plug-and-play DCC sound conversion, six separately switchable light functions and a powerful, smooth running chassis with centrally mounted motor and twin flywheels.

Premium Features – Delivered As Standard

·        High Quality Design & Construction

·        Six Separately Switchable lighting functions

·        Detailed Cab Interiors

·        Factory Fitted Speakers

·        Factory Fitted DCC Sound Option

·        Powerful Motor/Twin Flywheel Drive

·        21-pin DCC Interface

·        Etched Grilles

·        Sprung Buffers

·        NEM Couplers

·        Separate Headcode Discs

·        Extensive bufferbeam detail

·        Exquisite Detail and Decoration

Page B3 Class 44 slotted grilles.JPG

All models will be available with factory fitted DCC sound

Design work has been completed and the first engineering prototype sample is expected to arrive in the UK for review in early-2024. First releases are planned for late-2024 or early-2025 in five popular liveries for the 1959-80 period. Look out for further updates soon. Production of all versions will be strictly limited – contact your regular HELJAN stockist today to secure yours. Visit www.heljan.co.uk to find out more!

Page B3 alt Class 44 overall.JPG

NEW FOR 2024! BR Class 44  

4400: BR Green D6 Whernside DCC READY

44003: BR Green D6 Whernside DCC SOUND

4401: BR Green D9 Snowdon (Small Yellow Panels/Slotted Grilles) DCC READY

44013: BR Green D9 Snowdon (Small Yellow Panels/Slotted Grilles) DCC SOUND

4402: BR Blue 1 Scafell Pike DCC READY

44023: BR Blue 1 Scafell Pike DCC SOUND

4403: BR Economy Green D5 Cross Fell (Small Yellow Panels) DCC READY

44033: BR Economy Green D5 Cross Fell (Small Yellow Panels) DCC SOUND

4404: BR Blue 44010 Tryfan (slotted grilles) DCC READY

44043: BR Blue 44010 Tryfan (slotted grilles) DCC SOUND

SRP £249.95 – DCC READY

SRP £389.95 – DCC SOUND

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

So we can expect the Bachmann OO and Farish N ones mid 2024 then, maybe something even at the weekend of an engineering sample.

Because no way are Bachmann going to let Heljan and Rapido take the Peaks without a fight and we saw what happened with the later Peaks and 47s.

Just need Accurascale to launch a class 40 now.....

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So we can expect the Bachmann OO and Farish N ones mid 2024 then, maybe something even at the weekend of an engineering sample.

Because no way are Bachmann going to let Heljan and Rapido take the Peaks without a fight and we saw what happened with the later Peaks and 47s.

Just need Accurascale to launch a class 40 now.....

I would have thought Bachmann will have moved on . I'm sure their justification for models is sales and not just to compete for the sake of it . 37s and 47s markets are big enough to sustain a few manufacturers but I wouldn't have thought so with a 44. Much better they go on and make something that isn't duplicated and will generate more cash for them .

Meanwhile back at the 44 . While its nice to see a new model , its coming at a price . I can see resistance to this . We do seem to be having lots of announcements ahead of Warley , with a few more to come I think .  I think there is a danger of too many shiny new models competing for limited cash .

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

If I was a shareholder in Bachmann I'd be furious that they have been so lazy about extracting the maximum profit from their asset, the Class 44/45 tooling. I remember getting the first Bachmann Class 44 at Warley, donkey's years ago. I'm still waiting to buy a plain green as-built Class 44, since Bachmann have never made one. I shall buy a Heljan one instead.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

4401: BR Green D9 Snowdon (Small Yellow Panels/Slotted Grilles) DCC READY

44013: BR Green D9 Snowdon (Small Yellow Panels/Slotted Grilles) DCC SOUND

I am sure many people here will be aware that D9 Snowdon received a class 45 4-character box end in 1969, while still in green SYP livery. It wasn't repainted into BR blue till 1972. The model presumably has discs at both ends, which would be valid from 1963 (probably) to 1969.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Heljan on this welcome announcement - we wish the project every success.👍

Within The 00 Wishlist Poll, we have only listed the Class 44 in the two most recent Polls (2019 and 2022) and it was Middle Polling around the half way mark.

(Just a reminder: The Poll Team believes it could list well over 30,000 items so the fact that any item is half way or above is a very good result!)

Speaking personally, I will certainly have one of the 'originals' as I was lucky enough to be a trainspotter when they were first introduced.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Legend said:

Meanwhile back at the 44 . While its nice to see a new model , its coming at a price . I can see resistance to this . We do seem to be having lots of announcements ahead of Warley , with a few more to come I think .  I think there is a danger of too many shiny new models competing for limited cash .

There are almost certainly too many announcements meaning people will pick and choose what is most important to them. This ultimately dilutes sales of any one type. Fewer sales equals smaller runs equals greater cost/price equals smaller runs still....

And when at some point announcements might become few and far between, in which case people will clammer for reruns of types they could not justify all at once....

A new 44 is welcome and doubtless the large peak following will buy them. There were certain flaws with their 45 that hopefully will be addressed here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

10 minutes ago, 61661 said:

That's not the case. Windscreen shape has been adjusted in response to feedback about the Class 45. Likewise there's been a very small adjustment to the curved area at the top of the cab door to make it more obvious. 

That’s good to hear as it stopped me from getting any 45s. It doesn’t look apparent from the CADs, though so perhaps they’ve been superceded.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Legend said:

We do seem to be having lots of announcements ahead of Warley , with a few more to come I think .  I think there is a danger of too many shiny new models competing for limited cash .

No one’s hit my sweet spot yet.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, Downer said:

No one’s hit my sweet spot yet.

Not only have they hit my sweet spots, but equally hitting the nice to have areas and even in some places I did not even know that existed! Every year I hope to get back to my "one a year purchase model" like I had when I was a kid and it ends up being at least on a one-a-monthly basis. 2025 is already filling in pre-orders (let alone 2024).

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

their evocative mountain names helped to inspire a strong enthusiast following in their final years.

Well, that and most of us remembering when they were right at the front of the Ian Allen books just a couple of years earlier:

1 Scafell Pike

2 Helvellyn...

It was a rite of passage to get that first one crossed off (which I'm pretty sure I managed while it was still number one). Far more impressive machines than the small black shunters that replaced them at the top of the list. And yes, I did make that long walk out to Holyhead Breakwater.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With the cost of living impacting on the money I have available for model railways, I’m having to be very choosy over what I buy.  I’ve a 44004 that I carefully renumbered and weathered, so I’ll be sticking with that for now.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I saw three of them in my numbersnatching days - 1960-63 - and #1 a decade later at Trent Junction when en route Derby on a Sunday afternoon, by which time it was boring blue and just said '1' on the side. OTOH, I can claim to have climbed - ok, so walked up - D1/7/8/9. 

• Like 1

I have put together 44002, 44004, 44005, 44006, and 44008. 4,5, and 6 are rtr models, 2 is a grimy times re numbered, and 8 is a 21 pin renumbered, all in BR blue. I have them all weathered. I will probably stick with the Bachmann models, as they have always worked well. Have found Heljan models to be a bit problamatic as of late including bits falling off, and the horrendous after sales parts, which I do not get with Bachmann. So if Bachmann bring out new versions of the 44, I will go with that.

£389.00 with sound fitted!!. I can get a rtr Bachmann model renumbered and fit sound for around £220.00, and it sounds brilliant.

Attached 44008, 44002, 44005.

WP_20231121_20_44_47_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20231121_20_49_54_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20231121_20_47_47_Pro_LI.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

I am sure many people here will be aware that D9 Snowdon received a class 45 4-character box end in 1969, while still in green SYP livery. It wasn't repainted into BR blue till 1972. The model presumably has discs at both ends, which would be valid from 1963 (probably) to 1969.

Been hoping for a long time for a Tops Blue Domino version of 44009.

This might be my chance, so keeping my eyes open for a special commission announcement, got my finger's crossed!

Sounds like a better plan than keeping my finger's open and my eyes crossed - lol

• Like 1

By the time myself and spotting friend visited Toton on Sunday 26/7/70 I had already seen D3 and D5 and he had seen D2 and D5, so needless to say the '44' we were both hoping was inside Derby Works on that date (because one of them was usually there) was D5.......

And so it was! Not only were the other nine all on the depot that day, so was D11. And we scored D12 at Cheltenham on the way back!

D6 had just received its full yellow ends on green livery, and the lower body stripe had also just been painted out, but not the D prefixes! 

When D5 emerged from Derby it was plain 5 and only the second '44' to get blue livery after D4.

I was treated to Class 44 haulage on a special from St Pancras to Manchester and back in October 1977, 44002/4/7 working the various legs. The unfamiliar work didn't seem to faze them at all, especially 44007 on the return working to London after dark!

• Like 6