The Festival of British Railway Modelling - 10 -11 February 2024 - Doncaster

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

4WD 👍

If the rain in Doncaster is anything like that at the Manor House, a DUKW might be more suitable.

Adrian

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure you all know, but the Snow has mostly gone from around Donny, BUT may be still and issue when driving from further afield west and north of it. 

The Car Park opposite is going to be fun and it's still raining in Retford and is due to all day.

Phil

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

The Car Park opposite is going to be fun and it's still raining in Retford and is due to all day.

75%+ of the car park is hardstanding so it shouldn't be an issue for the majority.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5213624,-1.1072327,3a,90y,86.36h,68.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sToxW2GYbSq6vajywPD4GYA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

image.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/02/2024 at 11:07, kirtleypete said:

I have seen someone stuck - me last year and I was far from the only one. Grass parking in February is asking for trouble.

Cheer up. There's loads of paid parking within 15 minutes walking distance. Town isn't great but by the Big Asda and the Dome to the west of the racecourse has loads of room.

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

75%+ of the car park is hardstanding so it shouldn't be an issue for the majority.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5213624,-1.1072327,3a,90y,86.36h,68.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sToxW2GYbSq6vajywPD4GYA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

image.png

The white hard standing to the right is mostly Hospital park and Ride and can be fenced off.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

The white hard standing to the right is mostly Hospital park and Ride and can be fenced off.

To the best of my knowledge I've never seen any grumbles about the amount of car park provision over the years.

• Agree 2

• Moderators

🤬Facebook🤬

"My mate says it's cancelled due to snow".

No it flip'n isn't; there's no snow in Doncaster now and folk are starting to set up.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

I’ll just follow the rucksacks!

The safest bet; sorry, we don't know until the last minute.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

It's all happening!

Fake news; I can see people in short sleeves - can't be Doncaster in February.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Anyone know which bus stop in Doncaster interchange for the shuttle bus? It’s not on the info page linked in the first post. 
If not, I’ll just follow the rucksacks!

Last time I went it was on the rhs as you enter from the railway station (don't know the stand number), I've seen it used  on other occasions (such as racedays) on the same one. Otherwise their is a more frequent regular bus or two on the lhs, uselful if you are an official Grumpy Old Git with a free bus pass. I think (but check) 55 is one of them, and possibly stand A3 or A4 - I've always thought those numbers are significant, but do check.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Otherwise their is a more frequent regular bus or two on the lhs, uselful if you are an official Grumpy Old Git with a free bus pass. I think (but check) 55 is one of them, and possibly stand A3 or A4 - I've always thought those numbers are significant, but do check.

Looking at the bus maps it seems to be the 66 which you'd need to get from Frenchagate and get off on the last stop on Town Moor Ave before the bus turns NE into Sandringham Rd.

It's then 400m to the racecourse entrance.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

To the best of my knowledge I've never seen any grumbles about the amount of car park provision over the years.

I was just pointing out that that area is used for the Hospital Park and Ride and can be fenced off. I didn't say it caused grumbles. There are access allowances for the Shuttle Bus to run around and folk need to be aware in case the CP is absolutely stuffed but they see 'spaces'. 

I thought it could be helpful information.

Phil.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Looking at the bus maps it seems to be the 66 which you'd need to get from Frenchagate and get off on the last stop on Town Moor Ave before the bus turns NE into Sandringham Rd.

It's then 400m to the racecourse entrance.

image.png

Shuttle bus to Rossington goes close to the Racecourse from Frenchgate. Couple of Stops near the BIg Roundabout. That could be the 55. I think its every 30 minutes if not more frequent. Timetables on the Web.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I'm off to the show on Sat, parking at Grantham station. Anybody got details of the parking (esp how to pay), or is there a beterr close alternative?

Bump? 

Not wanting to faff about and miss my train, as I have no phone with an app.

We arrived at midday and had a leisurely set up of the trade stand. Back at the hotel for 3.30pm and have just enjoyed a lovely meal. Relax time now, before a very enjoyable weekend ahead. The layouts look fantastic as always and as exhibition manager for our club, Leigh Model Railway Society, I've already got my eye on some for our exhibition in future years! 

• Like 2