Genesis Coaches Batch 2 - from Hattons to Rails

BrakeCoach

We are pleased to work with Hatton's and transfer over the latest batch (batch2) of Hatton's Original Genesis coaches.

Over the coming weeks we will share updates regarding production updates, delivery schedules, order transfers etc etc.

Just to clarify Rails are purchasing / fulfilling the current run of Genesis coaches which are in production now. We work closely with existing manufacturers but do not manufacture ourselves and therefore we have not purchased any tooling.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Oliver Rails said:

Just to clarify Rails are purchasing / fulfilling the current run of Genesis coaches which are in production now. We work closely with existing manufacturers but do not manufacture ourselves and therefore we have not purchased any tooling.

Fair enough.  So what's happening with the tooling?  Is it with the manufacturers?  Still with Hattons?

• BrakeCoach changed the title to Genesis Coaches Batch 2 - from Hattons to Rails
  • RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

It's okay - they just sell them under a Fictitiouscale brand name.😁

Craggy Island Trains,

Small but no longer far away. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Are we supposed to see the details of our pre-order show on the Rails website? I havnt had anything show up yet.

22 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

Over the coming weeks we will share updates regarding production updates, delivery schedules, order transfers etc etc.

😉

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

Accurascale producing the Genesis coaches would be great, but it would definitely open a can of worms, as it would mean they would be making things that aren't real.

Insprired by...

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Noting the comments from @Oliver Railsabove, I'm yet to see any communication from Rails regarding my Pre-ordered Genesis coaches. 

This is quite a contrast to how "on the ball" Accurascale were regarding my pre-orders for various P class and Andrew Barclay locos. Early communication and the subsequent transfer of orders was very straightforward. 

Sad to say but I'm not surprised by this difference and it rather echoes my less than satisfactory previous experience of dealing with Rails. 

Hopefully things will improve.....

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The silence is deafening over the transfer of  the Genesis coaches. Lack of communication  from Rails is not good for confidence ( Has anybody  heard anything directly from them ?). An email from Rails confirming transfer of the orders would assist all those with orders as to what stage the orders are at.

Lack of communication can harbor false rumors so come on Rails  lets here something please !

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

When was the original delivery estimates for the coaches compared to the locos? And I would assume the number of units of the coaches could be an order of magnitude more than for locos, so the number of orders to transfer over?

I don't have orders of either, so just an outsider.

On 13/02/2024 at 12:49, Oliver Rails said:

We are pleased to work with Hatton's and transfer over the latest batch (batch2) of Hatton's Original Genesis coaches.

It is coming , just be patience

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Bucoops said:

When was the original delivery estimates for the coaches compared to the locos? And I would assume the number of units of the coaches could be an order of magnitude more than for locos, so the number of orders to transfer over?

I don't have orders of either, so just an outsider.

The original delivery date was May 2024.  There is plenty of time to sort out orders before then, if they are still on that same delivery schedule.  I doubt the coaches have even left China yet.

If anyone is struggling to remember what they have ordered from Hattons, the online accounts are still active.  If you login and go to 'pre orders,' it will still show your original order on there.  I have printed mine off so that I can check when I do hear from Rails.

Edited by Moxy
More info
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, johnd said:

The silence is deafening over the transfer of  the Genesis coaches. Lack of communication  from Rails is not good for confidence ( Has anybody  heard anything directly from them ?). An email from Rails confirming transfer of the orders would assist all those with orders as to what stage the orders are at.

Lack of communication can harbor false rumors so come on Rails  lets here something please !

Well no one’s posted to say they have heard so there’s some reassurance ;) 

Possibly Hattons & Accurascale had compatible software or an in house expert so transferring was easier. Rails may be relying on their provider to enable access to their stock system. Considering the issues I’ve seen with data transfer on forums I’d rather they get a robust system right before transferring it. 

18 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Sad to say but I'm not surprised by this difference and it rather echoes my less than satisfactory previous experience of dealing with Rails. 

Fair dos Rob, I have to say my experience of Rails customer service was polar opposite to Hattons when it went wrong. Hattons never did tell me they’d cancelled all my Hornby pre orders and were only prepared to refund £4 return post when a £300 LGB loco was faulty, not insure it! Rails sent me return labels at their risk twice for faulty terriers and another previous model. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Well no one’s posted to say they have heard so there’s some reassurance ;) 

Possibly Hattons & Accurascale had compatible software or an in house expert so transferring was easier. Rails may be relying on their provider to enable access to their stock system. Considering the issues I’ve seen with data transfer on forums I’d rather they get a robust system right before transferring it. 

Fair dos Rob, I have to say my experience of Rails customer service was polar opposite to Hattons when it went wrong. Hattons never did tell me they’d cancelled all my Hornby pre orders and were only prepared to refund £4 return post when a £300 LGB loco was faulty, not insure it! Rails sent me return labels at their risk twice for faulty terriers and another previous model. 

Morning Paul, 

I'm not surprised your experience of Rails is different to mine, as are those of many others but I take as I find. It was more than one occasion for me, hence my perception. Frankly, I was disappointed to see Rails had acquired these but they have so that's that. If you want them, you have to deal with them. I am of course happy to be proved wrong. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Paul, 

I'm not surprised your experience of Rails is different to mine, as are those of many others but I take as I find. It was more than one occasion for me, hence my perception. Frankly, I was disappointed to see Rails had acquired these but they have so that's that. If you want them, you have to deal with them. I am of course happy to be proved wrong. 

Rob. 

But they haven't acquired them, they are only handling the last batch that was already started.

Rails have stated that they aren't going to be manufacturers, so haven't bought the moulds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

But they haven't acquired them, they are only handling the last batch that was already started.

Rails have stated that they aren't going to be manufacturers, so haven't bought the moulds.

See Andy's post on the previous page. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

However, Rails have gone on to say they haven't taken ownership of the tooling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

As I said that’s fair comment Rob 👍

Note this from Rails post though,

On 13/02/2024 at 11:49, Oliver Rails said:

We work closely with existing manufacturers but do not manufacture ourselves and therefore we have not purchased any tooling.

So they have clarified it’s just distribution. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably Rails have made it clear they aren't manufacturers to avoid upsetting any other manufacturers who they also distribute and are known to get upset about their distributers also being manufacturers. Maybe.

Rails do not own the tooling. The tooling has passed to another company. Any further batches will be made by that company. An announcement will be made later this year. 

I got this information this weekend. There was much nudge nudge wink wink can't possibly confirm etc. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all for the updates and hopefully there will be a bit more clarity from Rails and the owners of the tooling in due course. 

Rob

• Agree 1