Bachmann Europe - Spring 2024 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Not all Mk1 compartment stock was created equal either.

3rd class and later 2nd class was 6 seats per compartment on the LMR and ER, and 8 seats per compartment on the LMR SR and WR.

Edited by stovepipe
error
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Not all Mk1 compartment stock was created equal either.

3rd class and later 2nd class was 6 seats per compartment on the LMR and ER, and 8 seats per compartment on the LMR and WR.

Hi,

Did you mean LMR in both instances?.

Regards

Nik

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Steven B said:

They need a bit more red on the Baguley-Drewry plate!

Ripe for an etched replacement...

The image was of one of the livery samples. The issue of the red paint density on the plate had already been identified and the factory notified for the production run.

• Informative/Useful 2

40 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Hmm, i’m of the opposite opinion, I think the recent Hornby mk1’s are better shaped than Bachmanns, but the Hornby detail could be better.

Bachmanns tooling is showing its age.

it should be noted the Bachmann tooling has been updated to remove the end steps on the body ends…

I too like the Hornby ones, I just wish they'd run them more often...

I seem to recall that the Bachmann ones are absolute PIGS to get into as well, or were, is this still the case? 

Edited by Great Waterton
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Hmm, i’m of the opposite opinion, I think the recent Hornby mk1’s are better shaped than Bachmanns, but the Hornby detail could be better.

Bachmanns tooling is showing its age.

it should be noted the Bachmann tooling has been updated to remove the end steps on the body ends…

I was expecting Bachmann's long awaited WCRC Mk1s to arrive as all new versions, but then on reflection I think Bachmann has renewed different bits of the tooling over time - the roofs and now the ends (steps removed) and bogies - so perhaps an all new Mk1 family doesn't make financial sense at this time.

I too prefer the shape of the Hornby Mk1s - their lack of detail and the absence of close coupling mechanisms is presumably deliberate to put them at a lower price point. 

• Like 4

Latest Collectors Club Bachmann Times arrived this morning - no updates on tooling for forthcoming already announced models any longer. Does give a list of Also Arriving Spring 2024 regarding previously announced models (which really they could do with showing at the end of video). That lists the WCRC TSO BSK and RMB so I would think more RMBs in the Summer 2024 announcement. Also listed are

- Thompson Full Brakes, each duplicated in four liveries

- DRS Class 20/3s 20310 and 20311

- DB Cargo HRAs (four different ones)

- EWS and Koronspan OTAs

- 009 Baguley Drewry diesel in green and RNAD Dean Hill

And the back cover is a full ad for the Stringray figures🙄

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

Thats reminded me and I did suggest it years ago given the love of scottish region modelling......still no Mk1 BSOT.

Have Bachmann ever released a BSO?   Dont think they have......

Hornby only for a mk1 BSO.

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Hornby only for a mk1 BSO.

What about a replacement interior?  

The purists will shudder but it’s perfectly possible to paint a red line over one window bay and add “Buffet” and Sc90xx decals to a Bachmann product. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

What about a replacement interior?  

The purists will shudder but it’s perfectly possible to paint a red line over one window bay and add “Buffet” and Sc90xx decals to a Bachmann product. 

It is yes but youd have the wrong interior for that half.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Latest Collectors Club Bachmann Times arrived this morning - no updates on tooling for forthcoming already announced models any longer. Does give a list of Also Arriving Spring 2024 regarding previously announced models (which really they could do with showing at the end of video). That lists the WCRC TSO BSK and RMB so I would think more RMBs in the Summer 2024 announcement. Also listed are

- Thompson Full Brakes, each duplicated in four liveries

- DRS Class 20/3s 20310 and 20311

- DB Cargo HRAs (four different ones)

- EWS and Koronspan OTAs

- 009 Baguley Drewry diesel in green and RNAD Dean Hill

And the back cover is a full ad for the Stringray figures🙄

Also noted is that those two OTAs have a timber load like the newly announced BR Railfreight red one and the EWS will come in a weathered finish.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NBL said:

You could always modify the interior...

Well yes. A cut-and-shut using BSK and TSO interiors would be close. 

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2024 at 19:26, NBL said:

You could always modify the interior...

You need to modify the exterior too..

BSK- 2 sets of luggage van doors, 4 compartments/ aligned windows

BSO- 1 set luggage van doors, 5 rows of table / aligned windows.

The doorway from the passenger space to the guards space is central to the aisle in the BSO, its aligned to the corridor on the BSK.

The extra doors in the BSK moves the battery boxes further towards the centre also.

chopping up the brake end of a BCK might be easier as a starting point, though because of its oddly positioned second loo, the battery box also is in a different place.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

You need to modify the exterior too..

BSK- 2 sets of luggage van doors, 4 compartments/ aligned windows

BSO- 1 set luggage van doors, 5 rows of table / aligned windows.

The doorway from the passenger space to the guards space is central to the aisle in the BSO, its aligned to the corridor on the BSK.

The extra doors in the BSK moves the battery boxes further towards the centre also.

chopping up the brake end of a BCK might be easier as a starting point, though because of its oddly positioned second loo, the battery box also is in a different place.

Yeah I didnt think it was as simple as cut n shut interiors.....

On 08/02/2024 at 00:46, stovepipe said:

I do like the economy green Peak, D25, and it looks like it was in this condition between May '66 and Feb '69.

D25 was one of two Class 45s to receive FYE whilst in green (D26 being the other). It ran with FYE in economy green from some time in late '67 or early '68; a photo of it in this condition on the S&C working 1S64 providing the evidence. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

I agree.  I know they were 5-bay open vehicles.  A type we have not had in RtR as mentioned above.  But for those not overly bothered about total accuracy a passable representation could be made from a BCK unless your stock is subject to very close scrutiny.  

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

D25 was one of two Class 45s to receive FYE whilst in green (D26 being the other). It ran with FYE in economy green from some time in late '67 or early '68; a photo of it in this condition on the S&C working 1S64 providing the evidence. 

Ok, looks like the date from SYP to FYE isn't in the loco record for D25 on the Peak Diaries website,

https://peakdieselarchive.co.uk/the-peak-diaries

But sometime in 1967 works fine for me still. I don't suppose that S&C photo is online anywhere?

Edit: I did find this, which says taken on 6 October 1968.

4472 'Flying Scotsman' - Church Fenton

There is an S&C photo of D25 in GFYE on 1S68, it was taken in Feb 1969.

https://peakdieselarchive.co.uk/gallery-45-012-45-022

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

The due in 30 days page has been updated. From this announcement the following are due:

• BR Green class 20 locos
  • TTA wagons
  • TEA wagons

From the previous announcement:

• 4 LNER Thompson Full Brakes (1 Teak, 2 Crimson & Cream and 1 Maroon)
  • HRA wagons
Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
On 13/02/2024 at 20:57, ThaneofFife said:

I suppose a wild card option is get a Hornby BSO splice off the sides and place it onto a Bachmann BCk chassis / roof/ends.

A bit dramatic but gets closer to the profile, may need sides trimming too.

I just picked up the Bachmann ;'Boston Lodge' Blacksmith's a& Wagon Workshop (44-0198R) - the back of the box shows an image of the 'Boston Lodge' Engine Shed (44-0199)

I wasn't aware this model had been announced but as it is on the box maybe it will be in the summer announcement

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve been thinking about the recently announced releases by Bachmann including the absence of steam announcements compared to diesels. In the past, Bachmann has had no problems announcing one or two liveries of a particular model but more recently more liveries have been announced together. This has obviously advantaged the diesels we have seen recently - the 47s, 37s and now the 31s - because it allows Bachmann to produce a minimum number of models spread over more liveries so a lower number of each. Presumably they expect them to sell out more quickly and additional production costs are mostly related to the tampo printing of each livery. We’ve seen the same with the Thompson full brakes and some freight wagons. On the other hand steam loco liveries are more limited so spreading volumes over more liveries is more difficult.

There have been lots of comments and suggestions for specific liveries in various threads that would seem to be obvious omissions, but I now wonder if that alone is no longer enough to justify their production. Instead do a wide range of liveries need to be produced together for it to be cost effective to justify the production run? If so, what does that mean for those of us who are waiting for specific liveries and/or tooling options? We may face a long wait.

Its quite common for a number of versions of a model to be made at once as the tooling is set up. Bachmann back when they did a what to expect in the next 18 months announcement (which the press always misreported as being that year - ie the next 11 months) invariably subseuently added a numebr of otehr versions just before a model appeared. Hornby have at times scheduled different versions of a model throughout a year only for the factory to stick two figures up at them and produce the whole lot at once.