Bachmann Europe - Spring 2024 Announcements

AY Mod

40 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Have you modelled Crewe Works then?

No! The 27 Peaks cover the various time periods that my layout can run it, so there are usually at most 7 or 8 out at once. I have never seen all 27 together.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

No! The 27 Peaks cover the various time periods that my layout can run it, so there are usually at most 7 or 8 out at once. I have never seen all 27 together.

Glad I am not the only one running their layout in multiple eras although my dates ate a little wider spaced being 1962ish, 1992ish, 2006ish, and 2019ish.

I say -ish because I do tend under Rule 1 to allow items I like from a year or two each side of the date. So just this week, after being fairly strict on the 2019 date, I have pre-ordered 69001, which of course is a 2021 product!

Yes, I know the infrastructure and areas outside the railway fence (and the fence itself!) have altered from 1962 until now, but with careful choice of prototype area and a little Rule 1 I think things are manageable!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Chiltern Junction said:

They said several times in the video that more Mk1s are coming this year as part of wider developments in the range so no doubt there will be more variants and liveries accounced

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if they are re-releasing these ahead of Accurascale announcing a Mk1 run.

Whats the odds come the Winter 2024 announcement of, say, BCKs and RFOs theres a posting complaining no TSOs or BSKs ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

Pity they didnt mirror the new Mk1 Farish offerings this quarter of white roofed inter city charter versions.....lucky old 2mm modellers.....

Very attractive looking coaches complete with curtains in the windows.

Edited by ThaneofFife
Spelling
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Daddyman said:

the window frames still missing

Re: Mk1's: I was pleased to see the end steps removed but was hoping that blue and grey and after would have window frames.  Most Mk1s had frames retro fitted in the 60's.  I especially notice the lack of frames on my blue grey buffet RMB which IMO looks odd without them.

EDIT:  Looking at the images of the blue grey coaches on the OP again, and zooming in as much as possible, maybe the frames are actually there?

Edited by cravensdmufan
Additional wording
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/02/2024 at 10:15, AY Mod said:

392-029-4.jpg
392-029 Baguley-Drewry 70hp Diesel British Industrial Sands White £119.95

They need a bit more red on the Baguley-Drewry plate!

Ripe for an etched replacement...

Steven B

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The M & C Mk1 TSO is tempting. I could build a Comet Kit for less, BUT my Paint job and detailing would be rubbish.

Has there been a previous version (Baccy or Hornby?) of a M & C TSO? If so, even with huge Ribs, I could work with that.

If anyone can show me a Picture of a Green Class 30 at Seaton Junction (Devon) it would be very annoying too!

Thanks

Phil 

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

The M & C Mk1 TSO is tempting. I could build a Comet Kit for less, BUT my Paint job and detailing would be rubbish.

Has there been a previous version (Baccy or Hornby?) of a M & C TSO? If so, even with huge Ribs, I could work with that.

If anyone can show me a Picture of a Green Class 30 at Seaton Junction (Devon) it would be very annoying too!

Thanks

Phil 

Phil, I'm fairly certain that Bachmann have produced both TSO's and SO's in the way you describe

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Nice to see the Mk1s back, but shame the release is so limited (TSO and BSK only, basically mirroring the long-announced WCRC run). Will be interesting to see if the pickup-fitted bogies are released as spares as that would be useful for a few projects I have in mind.

This is an extra to what has been announced…

39-050 TSO 4920 - Jan 2017

39-050A TSO 4960 - Jan 2024

39-083 BSK 99733 - Jan 2017

39-266 RMB 1860 - Jan 2017

and mk2..

39-354 5239 Released 2023

without a mk2 FO, your best bet is the met cammell pullmans…

39-002k 99352 and 99347

https://www.hattons.co.uk/271760/bachmann_branchline_39_002k_twin_pack_of_mk_1_pullman_coaches_in_west_coast_railways_maroon_collectors_club/stockdetail
(enjoy this hattons link whilst you still can).

WCRC has/had some Pullman liveried Mk1 Pullmans also.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I like electrics, I love diesels but I adore steam. That said, there is nothing quite like the excitement of something brand new on the network (such as 68s*, 88s and 93s). So the news about the 69s is plenty exciting for me. As for steam, I’m rather happy with the new chassis under the V3s and Ivatt tanks. As for the Ivatt tanks, I stared in disbelief at a picture of one in LMS livery which popped up. I try to keep up but that got in right under my radar! One by one, they’re having sound fitted.

* Ten years on the network? Wow! I mention them because I recall the excitement about the real thing and the superb Dapol models.

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Chiltern Junction said:

They said several times in the video that more Mk1s are coming this year as part of wider developments in the range so no doubt there will be more variants and liveries accounced

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if they are re-releasing these ahead of Accurascale announcing a Mk1 run.

Accurascale are doing the MK1 suburbans. I can't imagine they will do the mainline mk1s given the number of Bachmann ones available and the (well shaped but poorly coupled and detailed) Hornby Railroad and railroad+ models

It's nice to see the Mk1's back again. I have some blue / grey of the previous releases. This new announcement mentions that some of the new releases are TSO's. My older ones are SO and SK. I get that SK has a corridor but what is the difference between the previous SO and this newer TSO? I am also assuming that there is no corridor stock in this release.....

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Accurascale are doing the MK1 suburbans. I can't imagine they will do the mainline mk1s given the number of Bachmann ones available and the (well shaped but poorly coupled and detailed) Hornby Railroad and railroad+ models

Think I've got all the Mk1s I'll ever need from that "Build Your Model Railway"  promotion where you could get them for a couple of ££.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark201 said:

It's nice to see the Mk1's back again. I have some blue / grey of the previous releases. This new announcement mentions that some of the new releases are TSO's. My older ones are SO and SK. I get that SK has a corridor but what is the difference between the previous SO and this newer TSO? I am also assuming that there is no corridor stock in this release.....

Mark

SO 2+1 seating

TSO 2+2 seating

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mark201 said:

Mark

Im thinking no difference apart from maybe the era was the TSO just a reclassification?  Its still an Open.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I reckon Bachmann should go back to an annual announcement so you'd be four times as likely to find something that suits but, failing that, I would only have to read moans once a year rather than four times.

23 hours ago, AY Mod said:

All saying the same thing. 😁

Just change the content in the first post at the next announcement, then all the moaning has already been done in the following posts.

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

SO 2+1 seating

TSO 2+2 seating

But Bachmann have only produced the 64 seat 2+2 version, although the earlier releases were described as SO.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Most that were built were TSOs not SOs.  This was an old LNER designation (previously TTO of course - Tourist Third open) when more seats were put into "tourist" stock than crack express rakes.  

2+2 seating has perpetuated this designation with TTO / TSO being found among Bulleid and other earlier designs before the BR Mk1 appeared.  

2+1 SO seating was at one stage reserved for boat trains at least on the SR, and for some other workings where a bit more space was felt to be desirable.  I found an SO on the West Highland Line once along with a BSOT - Brake Second (at the time) Open Trolley - with the tea-trolley parked in a bay from which the seats had been removed for that purpose.  

Unless you are accurately representing a specific train then you can always get away with TSOs in model form even if you renumber them into the SO series.  No-one can see inside to count the seats at an exhibition after all.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I really don't understand the price of these coaches. The core tooling costs are long paid off. When released in 1999 these were around £21 I believe (give or take). With inflation, this should be around £38.50 today. Instead the RRP is 59.99, reprasenting a 'Bachflation' of 55% above real inflation accounted price. If we allow for a 15% retailer discount, that still gives a 32% 'Bachflation'.

Now I'm normally critical of those whinging on about price rises (e.g. S** T***** on Youtube) as they seldom account for real Bank of England Inflation in their assessment. However my calculations do account for this. Yes there are increased costs in China and some raw materials, but a good chunk of that that will already be factored in to the assessment of Bank of England inflation (allowing for the fact that total UK inflation is a mix of internal and external factors, while Bachmann's costs are primarily external). I would expect to see some skew above real inflation, but by 55%????!!!!!

13 hours ago, AY Mod said:

They weren't taken over but the apocalypse to which you refer was around 11/12 years ago now when the Chinese government mandated businesses to increase their labour rates (akin to minimum wage in the RoW) which involved a reassessment within Kader of the labour apportioned to each division and products as, evidentially, Bachmann Europe as a subsidiary weren't being charged for all of the elements involved in the cost make-up leading to what was perceived as significant increases. As an example, some products from before that time such as the autoballasters then became unviable to accurately price given the retail distribution model.

Other examples were the Ransomes & Rapier Crane and the Porthole coaches which caught a number of dealers out with 'price guaranteed' pre -orders where the gap between announcement and release meant that the actual trade price exceeded the promised pre-order sale prices. It was because of this that pre-order price guarantees were dropped for any item that did not have a firm price set by the manufacturer.

I know that prices are a constant source of debate but however difficult it can be to swallow my view is that the quality and specification of many of these models equal or exceed the quality of professional or kitbuilt items that cost substantially more in real terms 30 or 40  years ago.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

SOs were also formed from downgraded FOs

Yes, and a far better journey experience. There were some on the HR main line in the eighties, and a delight to travel in compared to the SO's.

• Like 2

There was a small batch of SO (2+1seating but 8 bay) Mk2 vacuum brake coaches built for the West Coast electrification scheme.  They were to be used with Mk1 kitchen cars for second class dining facilities where Pullmans didn't go, services like the Midland Executive which replaced the Birmingham Blue Pullman.  Eventually they ended up on the Eastern region out of Liverpool Street where the restaurant service was very popular, especially with theatricals on an awayday to Anglia TV (or 19th Century Fox as David Niven called it).  I remember travelling in one on a Norwich to Birmingham stagger towards the end of their days, I think they might have remained vacuum brake throughout their lives.

Presumably the wider aisles allowed the food service to avoid anyone passing, plus the extra elbow room at the table would have avoided you copping an eyeful of your neighbour's Dover Sole.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Hmm, i’m of the opposite opinion, I think the recent Hornby mk1’s are better shaped than Bachmanns, but the Hornby detail could be better.

Bachmanns tooling is showing its age.

it should be noted the Bachmann tooling has been updated to remove the end steps on the body ends…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1