Bachmann Europe - Spring 2024 Announcements

AY Mod

5 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Thanks for the lists Andy. Great to see another WCRC Mk1 but disappointing there’s not a single OO Steam loco. 

Yep, not even so much as a renumbered oldie. Surely Bachmann can't have that much stock of steamers on their hands they can't throw out a few new running numbers?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Rich_F said:

The price of that bogie tanker has me worried that large rolling stock will soon be approaching £100. That's simply unacceptable for something that isn't a loco. 

It boggles my mind that Bachmann can't seem to do a bogie wagon for less than £70 these days, especially when the likes of Accura, Cavalex, Revolution, et al can produce "better" (I use this loosely to describe more factory-added parts, and thus labour costs) wagons at £50 or less... £70 for an HRA wagon, when Accura will sell you a pair for £5 more. £75 for a TEA when Cavalex and Revolution will sell you one for less than £50. Make it make sense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, Tugs said:

It boggles my mind that Bachmann can't seem to do a bogie wagon for less than £70 these days, especially when the likes of Accura, Cavalex, Revolution, et al can produce "better" (I use this loosely to describe more factory-added parts, and thus labour costs) wagons at £50 or less... £70 for an HRA wagon, when Accura will sell you a pair for £5 more. £75 for a TEA when Cavalex and Revolution will sell you one for less than £50. Make it make sense.

I suspect there is a much larger overhead at Bachmann than the others that will need to be covered that will account for some of the price differential.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Oh dear, the steam modellers are having a fit because there's no steam outline stuff in this announcement.  Well, welcome to the world of those post-steam modellers every time Hornby do their grand announcements.  Perhaps Bachmann have also heard from their retailers that post steam modelling is a growth area, as a competitor let slip in these forums.  

I remember in the 70s and early 80s, people mostly wanted the big four models in big four colours. Then the 90s/2000s it was BR steam (including big 4 locos in BR colours) and this allowed people to have both steam and diesel on their layouts.

(not that Modern image - as in what is running on the mainline now has always been popular but maybe never as large as peoples nostalgia).

Today it seems to 70s/80s/90s locos which clearly make up most of my memories. But at the same time we also see a surge in pre-grouping steam and Industrial steam. The latter maybe inspire by preserved steam and those last few industrials hanging around in the 70s.

While unique prototypes still continue to hold a charm of their own.

Most of my money now goes on pre-grouping and south eastern 80s nostalgia.

Nothing for me from Bachmann this time round, but there was the last couple of times around. So all good.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Personally I hope there will be more second generation DMUs (Pacer and Sprinters essentially).

Maybe Bachmann might tackle the Class 153 (and Class 155) DMU. Over their life they have operated in most parts of the country. The 153 offers lots of liveries. The BREL BT38 / BP38 bogies from the Class 150 are the same, so a cost saving to tool this model and gives consistency between the models. 

I appreciate Hornby produce the Class 153, which is ok but suffers from selective compression, and lacks the features compare to say the Bachmann 2022 tooled Class 158. Also appreciate Heljan might produce a Class 153 based on their O gauge model. But they also might not too

Edited by richierich
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I reckon Bachmann should go back to an annual announcement so you'd be four times as likely to find something that suits but, failing that, I would only have to read moans once a year rather than four times.

But there would be 4x as many moans all coming at once......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• Moderators
1 minute ago, newbryford said:

4x as many moans all coming at once

All saying the same thing. 😁

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I actually saw something for me and ordered it today.

And I expect to order some other items to be announced later in the year.

Could be an expensive year.

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I reckon Bachmann should go back to an annual announcement so you'd be four times as likely to find something that suits but, failing that, I would only have to read moans once a year rather than four times.

Where’s the fun in that? 😆

19 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Or saying, it's too long can't they go back to the more frequent announcements then we didn't have to wait long. 😂

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, locoholic said:

Bachmann are clearly incapable of resisting the urge to slap small yellow panels on the cabs of every single green Class 44 they produce! Bizarre.

Quite right too 🙂

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

30 minutes ago, newbryford said:

But there would be 4x as many moans all coming at once......

You can please some of the people some of the time. But you cannot please all of the people all of the time…

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, richierich said:

You can please some of the people some of the time. But you cannot please all of the people all of the time…

Or in the case of the 'net, you cannot please some of the people, all of the time.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Normal people would just look through the windows; or do you think they've included fare-dodgers in the lav?

Now THAT would be attention to detail!

Kev.

• Funny 6

17 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Normal people would just look through the windows; or do you think they've included fare-dodgers in the lav?

What about passengers using the lav for its intended purpose? Unless the passenger fitted sets included a ticket inspector there would be no need to hide!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Geep7 said:

Has Bachmann completely forgotten that the years 1965 to 1974 exist, or is the pre-TOPS era really not that popular? I'm definitely in the market for another Blue & Grey Mk1 BSK, but @ £60? Think I might search eBay first.....

Probably cheaper to buy new, they are either battered or sub 60 notes

I've just seen the price that the Class 31 is available for pre-order on and I think Bachmann deserve some praise here as it seems that the price is actually very comparable to the competitor version. So it's great to see the prices coming down/stabilising/being competitive, not sure what the word is but it looks good.

• Like 1

As if I don't have enough Peaks already (27 of which 24 are Bachmann), the economy green split box 45 is welcome and may well become the 28th in my fleet. 

Images show D138 modelled with single centre headcode, indicating refurbished condition (the early 46s were built with split centre boxes) so it should have the trapezoidal grille but this is omitted.

A Mark 1 revamp is good but I probably have enough to last me a lifetime (over 300, including some of mine that are on Retford). However, it looks a bit half-baked. Doing the ends without the steps on blue/grey ones is good and the retooled bogies should make them very free-running. Nevertheless, it looks as though they are sticking with one roof for each type rather than doing the later roof vent arrangement which was characteristic of most built with Commonwealth bogies. One thing that would be good for me is some in a better shade of green than Bachmann has managed so far, with their Mark 1s either being too light or too dark.

It seems Bachmann was already well advanced with their 30/31 when Accurascale announced theirs so we have duplication, which is good for competition. For me, the Accurascale one still wins, not because there is anything wrong with the Bachmann one but because I have lots of Hornby ones which I'm not planning to replace unless they fail (and they are a bit dodgy in various ways) and Accurascale are listing the liveries I would like (pre-TOPS blue and green with full yellow ends) plus a 1970s 31/4 whereas Bachmann's depicts a 1980s refurbished one without the valances.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Karl said:

I've just seen the price that the Class 31 is available for pre-order on and I think Bachmann deserve some praise here as it seems that the price is actually very comparable to the competitor version. So it's great to see the prices coming down/stabilising/being competitive, not sure what the word is but it looks good.

To put it another way, it highlights that some of their recent models have been priced too high for the market. If you pitch the price too high, you can end up with less revenue and profit than with a lower price. It's a tricky one to judge, especially in the current economic conditions.  It's welcome all the same.

• Agree 2