Bachmann Europe - Spring 2024 Announcements

AY Mod

2 hours ago, JN said:

I am surprised no-one is discussing the auto-decoupler.

It’s a neat idea and I’d be interested in them, but currently the only way to get them is to shell out £350 or so for a diesel that I don’t want :) so that stymies things a bit :)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

So Accurascale have done 31s AND modern liveries AND keep the price "down"? 

Is the only reason these are so extortionate is because of the auto-coupler thing? 

The price of that bogie tanker has me worried that large rolling stock will soon be approaching £100. That's simply unacceptable for something that isn't a loco. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Edge said:

It’s a neat idea and I’d be interested in them, but currently the only way to get them is to shell out £350 or so for a diesel that I don’t want :) so that stymies things a bit :)

To be fair at the retailers it's £306. Not much more than the Cavalex 56 though granted that may well be model of the year. My main issue is that they are tension lock based. I suspect a fair portion of SFX modellers have moved away from these to hunt/kadee or something else but I guess this could upsell some others into them...

In other news, whilst there isn't any prices Rails seems to have stated which 69's are going to be available.

image.png.c10b9dc5597a4b5eff9a34ef27067c91.png

Oh dear, the steam modellers are having a fit because there's no steam outline stuff in this announcement.  Well, welcome to the world of those post-steam modellers every time Hornby do their grand announcements.  Perhaps Bachmann have also heard from their retailers that post steam modelling is a growth area, as a competitor let slip in these forums.  Whilst my planned secondary layout will be a dual purpose LMS and Irish Rail end to end, I firmly am in the camp of wanting to recreate the trains I grew up with from when I started primary school which looked over the newly electrified Trent Valley line in 1968 to when I had my last all line railrover in 1994.  A period when steam was a funfair ride.  Bachmann must have invested well north of a couple of million notes in non-steam models over the past few years which given they are a business does rather scream out that they see their future in that sector.  If steam was a cash cow some seem to think they would have spent that sum on steam and had a recent programme of releases more like that of Hornby.

Anyhoo, I'm apparently one of a handful of people not upset by today's announcements.  The 31's livery releases will complement nicely the three Accurascale versions I have on pre-order, especially the two Redstripe examples, so no duplication for me there, and as for the Mk1s, fantastic, especially the ICX liveried examples.  Hopefully next time round they will announce electrically fitted bogies on the restaurant cars so I can serve food to passengers on the incoming Accurascale Mk2b-c set after dark.

My only disappointments were no FFAs, Mk2f blue/grey or Reggie Rail 117s but we've another three announcements to come.  Overall though, could be worse.

• Like 11

Ooh. Intercity MK1s :-) Given that I bought half a dozen of those to respray in maroon when Hattons were giving them away for £16 each and I still haven't got round to it, I should probably put them on Ebay ! Offers over £50...

• Funny 2

29 minutes ago, Rich_F said:

Is the only reason these are so extortionate is because of the auto-coupler thing? 

The price of that bogie tanker has me worried that large rolling stock will soon be approaching £100. That's simply unacceptable for something that isn't a loco. 

To be fair, after retailer discount they’ll not be far off Accura’s prices anyhow. £170, £264 and £306 respectively. Though if history repeats the SFX may not be discounted from £360 just yet.

Edited by NTrains
Additional thought.

5 hours ago, Seaniom said:

Very underwhelming

I am starting to believe steam will play no part in Bachmann's future.

Very underwhelming

I am starting to believe steam will play no part in Bachmann's future.

(I thought I would say it twice as they like duplication.)

Ironic then that nearly all the new figure sets* are firmly rooted in the steam era.

* that is apart from 36-422 Garage staff and fitters.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Rich_F said:

I guess you missed the dbso’s then ?

£150 RRP.

now go figure, theres been 8 different runs of DBSO at £150 without any complaints.

Yet the BSO in 5 liveries is stuck in the bargain bins under £50 occasionally.

now if you work in a factory or in commercials making these things, whats the difference between a DBSO and BSO ?.. you need just 1 in your train and theres oodles more BSOs with more wider use in the country, assembly time will be the same, content the same, just slightly different LEDs… they should all be the same price.

its simply market forces in action, people are willing to pay more for a dbso.

i bet people would pay more for 2 and 3 pack class 488 Gatex sets than 2/3 pack mk2f’s too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Ironic then that nearly all the new figure sets* are firmly rooted in the steam era.

* that is apart from 36-422 Garage staff and fitters.

Because steam era modelers (of which I am one) are already stocked up with more motive power than we can use (good grief there is even a rtr A2/2 and A2/3!!)  so slowing down on the loco releases and aiming to generate income from sales of detailing products whereas there is clearly a market to be tapped amongst the diesel loco enthusiasts for new models. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, it's-er said:

Don’t forget Bachmann’s LNER G5 0-4-4t locomotive, please!  I know it was commissioned by TMC, but as a Bachmann/TMC collaboration it is superb. For those of us modellers interested in the North East, East Anglia, and parts of Scotland, it fills a real gap.

Mine, ordered when they were announced,  arrived in July.

John S

I quite agree that the G5 is excellent and the Rails/Bachmann 812 is very good. Perhaps this is hinting at a reality now that for Bachmann the cost benefit analysis that they do shows better returns on Diesels as that has been their focus for a few years, it wouldn't interest me but there's not been much for the Electric traction fan either over that time. Perhaps the financial maths works out that for a steam outline model it is better to work with a model shop as well and share the cost of production.

I don't think steam era modellers are having a fit as it has been put, it's just a case of disappointment. Yes there is some murmouring and grumbling which comes with every disappointment. The statement of 'it's one of four announcements in the year' is quite true. The reason for said grumblings I think are that every 3 months for the last 2 and a half years that has been said for each announcement and the wait for a new steam model goes on. So it's 2 and a half rounds of 4 announcements and no new steam outline. 

Anyway, this is taking the topic away from what it should be which is discussing what will be produced not what wasn't. It's not a case of having a fit just a bit disappointed as when you see the quality of the new Diesels there is a bit of envy that there's no new steam coming at that standard too. 😂

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Pretty sure the V2 (still being widely discounted) was more recent than the 1P and the 94xx

True, but not new in the sense of  modelling a new prototype. Looks like they're out of new ideas on steam. Fair enough if D&E is where the money is (even with duplication)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Karl said:

The absence of steam toolings isn't the only thing that I thing is causing the disappointment amongst steam modellers. It's an apparent lack of 00 steam era being developed. Happy to be corrected but in the last 2 years or so I think in terms of steam era new toolings there is only the Dancehall brakevan. So that is where the wider 'Bachmann have turned their back on steam' has come from. It's not just an absence of engines but also period stock. I think we are now at almost 4/5 years since the last Bachmann all new steam engine tooling as a solely Bachmann model was announced and perhaps 2 years since released (V2). So we can only hope that the quietness is because Bachmann are beavering away in the background and at some point we are going to get a run of 4/5 new tooling annoucement over 18-24months, a bit like diesel fans have had with the 24/1, 20/3, 37, 47, 31 and 69 over the last 2 and a half years. 

A problem for Bachmann as I see it is perception. The Caley tank has been mentioned (a model I would love) and that type of engine and an 8F type always 'felt' like a Bachmann type model in the same way that LNER pacifics 'feel' like they are Hornby. An 8F now feels more like something Accurascale would do and a Caley Tank possibly feels more Rapido. Why do I bring this up? Well I have been a Bachmann CC member for about 15 years but if I am now starting to feel that Bachmann have moved their market to the modern image then there is less point me renewing as over the course of a year I no longer will expect a steam era model in the club exclusives or the magazine to have a mix of articles covering modern and steam.  To be clear I don't expect Bachmann to include a steam era model and articles in every club magazine but I do expect that over the course of a year there'll be a fair spread. At the minute it is feeling like the spread is not even.

Perhaps us 00 steam era are now learning how N gauge have felt for years!

Steam era rolling stock in the current announcement, Bulleid and Thompson stock been released in the last 2 years, a new Thompson parcels van imminent, tooling upgrades and sound fitting to Jinty, 9F and WD all very recent, various steam era coaches in the EFE range. I think all Bachmann are doing is evening out their portfolio - they dont seem averse to steam at all.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

Just hedging bets...

Gives me more time to save for the 00 model of the LSWR Adams T3 when it gets announced. Just hedging my bets !

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, E100 said:

My main issue is that they are tension lock based. I suspect a fair portion of SFX modellers have moved away from these to hunt/kadee or something else

Not sure how this can be done properly using the NEM pocket/tension locks which they claim to have. (unless I haven't read it correctly)

You can get other couplers that can be operated with DCC but the stock needs them as well.

EDIT hoever this works with Kadees:

https://www.smart-coupler.com/home-eng

Sadly OOS at Manf. and discontinued by the look of it.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

True, but not new in the sense of  modelling a new prototype. Looks like they're out of new ideas on steam. Fair enough if D&E is where the money is (even with duplication)

I suspect that its that diesels, that made it to the 80/90’s is a finite market of popular prototypes, with greater depths of livery potential, so they manufacturers are in a land grab tooling war.

Having a slice of this now gives 10-20 years run at selling to an age group which will be finishing mortgages/kids married and has spare cash for a few years.. - the kids of the 1980s.

Theres no doubt steam generation will fade, but a Black 5 is still a Black 5, but interest in a j39 may be much lower in 10 years.

tbh theres not much left to grab .. 08, 26/7,33, 40, 57,58 then they are all done and twice cooked this century… of that lot I really only think the 08 has any merit, some may say a 40 or a 33.

In other words, its a fad.

There was a similar land grab 1995-2005 as Lima was on the rocks.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RichardT said:

Also, to note that if you started trainspotting in the 1960s you’re well into your seventies now.

Not at all! 

I remain very firmly in my sixties and shall be fomr some years to come.  And yes I started "spotting" in the 1960s; noting names and numbers of those lovely diesel-hydraulics arriving at Penzance.  

Which somehow reminds me ..... when do we get another class 42, Mr. Bachmann?  The 43s a few years back were lovely but the last 42 was when, exactly? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I started "spotting" in the 1960s; noting names and numbers of those lovely diesel-hydraulics arriving at Penzance.  

I did some spotting in Truro in the early 60s and I remember it was mostly steam, even the DHs arrived with a Hall or Grange to help them.........😀

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Was it the tooling or the livery application at fault there?

Its a combination of the two. There is an issue with the fit of the smokebox front, there is a heavy band where the cab meets the firebox, a 'cam' tender coupling that holds the tender too far from the cab even on the straight and causes the tender to crab behind the loco when a heavy load is being hauled. Its not a bad model by any means and light years away from what preceded it but it is a bit of a disappointment. I've got one but it will need work on that tender gap at least before it enters service. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I’m pretty happy with these announcements personally and have pre ordered the WCRC Mk1 in addition to the 3 previously announced as they will go well with any of the preserved locos I have plus re creating the Jacobite. Looks like there will be a prospect of more to come with other variants being updated. No issue for me the lack of steam given what others have offered/I  have or on pre order and maybe this just isn’t there area of focus at the moment - same as Hornby with high spec diesels. 

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Steam era rolling stock in the current announcement, Bulleid and Thompson stock been released in the last 2 years, a new Thompson parcels van imminent, tooling upgrades and sound fitting to Jinty, 9F and WD all very recent, various steam era coaches in the EFE range. I think all Bachmann are doing is evening out their portfolio - they dont seem averse to steam at all.

I think I should just clarify that the comments I make are in relation to new toolings announced since the change of announcement method. The Bulleid were new toolings but announced before the change the rest are not new toolings, but tweaked tooling. I think that is why there is disappointment is that in the last 2/3 years there have been 5/6 new diesel toolings but no steam all new tooling in 00. There is probably the subliminal assumption too of 'there will be a finite resource of research and development and so if they've been doing all these diesels they won't have even started any steam yet' meaning we're assuming on going disappoints too 😂.

It is fair to say that this apparent 'slack' is being taken up by other companies who don't seem to do diesels. So across the industry steam does do very well.

A few of Bachmann's apparent decisions do surprise me. For example it is 2 years since the Double Fairlies were released but there has been no FR stock which would seem to have made sense to follow the engines an annoucement or two later. Any one wanting to have some passenger coaches therefore gives their money to Peco, Nigel Brooks or Parkside and not Bachmann. I find this one very odd when the Dinorwic slates have followed the quarry hunslets very quickly so having bought the engine Bachmann get the secondary spend on stock too.

Anyway, this isn't an 'nothing in it for me thing', I'm just surprised there not been any new 00 steam at all in a few years now whether it's one I'd buy or not. 

With regards to the comments about the 'modellers model what they remember and those in their 60's now will remember the 1970s and 1980s so will want that' are true to a point. I'm in my 30's and model steam. So the model what you remember is true for some not for others. 

I think I've taken enough time on this thread now anyway and think it'll reflect on us all better if the thread is full of more excited at what has been announced posts than yet more disappointed at what hasn't been ones. 😃

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Not at all! 

I remain very firmly in my sixties and shall be fomr some years to come.  And yes I started "spotting" in the 1960s;

Yes, I had a bit of a brain fade there! All I had to do was some simple arithmetic…

RichardT

Edited by RichardT