Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The photographs are splendid! The last one could be real.

I've a picture in "*Steam near the Nene" of the interior: Lots of trolleys with sacks and packages; suspended lighting;  and suspended notice-boards. I haven't a scanner to hand, but if the picture is any use? - although you might well have it  already.

Regards,

Tony

*A.V. Fincham

Thanks Tony - I appreciate your offer, but I do indeed already have that book. In fact, Vic Fincham's photos have been absolutely vital in making the whole project viable, though quite a lot of the captions are rather dodgy!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Gilbert for a lovely afternoon recreating some scenes from books for a bit of fun. :)

attachicon.gifPN4sBW.jpg

attachicon.gifPN5sBW.jpg

Just a couple of comments on the second photo. This is our reproduction of an original photo which I can't  post for copyright reasons.The platform signal should be off for the A4, but as it is in the process of being motorised I can't move the arm either manually or mechanically at the moment. The caption to the original photo claims that the B1 is "on its way to New England shed". Why then is it displaying class A lights?  I think the A4 is coming off its train, and will be replaced by the B1. The only reason I can see for that to happen is that this was a KX - Skegness train, and the A4 would be barred from continuing onto the E.Lincs line, which was RA7. Now those KX- Skeggy trains were all Saturdays only workings, when proceedings at PN were even more overcrowded than usual, so I was very surprised to see the B1 occupying the Up main while awaiting the changeover. Unless I've got it all completely wrong of course............ Its amazing how one keeps learning new things, both about operating practices, and about paying proper attention in the first place. I don't know how many times I've looked at that photo before and not noticed the lamps on the B1.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent photo of the B1 . The coach doesnt look very well ?

Distortion caused in some way by the camera lens Mick. That is one of my steel panelled Gresley articulated sets, and its in perfectly good shape(literally).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That B1 shot is truly classic. This is an OO layout for goodness sake. How do you do it? The lighting, the 'pose', the shopping.  

Quack

Yes, pretty startling image Phil, and for once photoshopped smoke really does enhance it even more. I'm not normally a great fan, but Andy has got this one just right.

Thanks Tony - I appreciate your offer, but I do indeed already have that book. In fact, Vic Fincham's photos have been absolutely vital in making the whole project viable, though quite a lot of the captions are rather dodgy!

After posting, I blushed quietly to myself, thinking: "the man has devoted his modelling life to the subject, it would be a miracle if he doesn't have it! - "

Never mind, its the thought, etc., :)

Tony.

Just a couple of comments on the second photo. This is our reproduction of an original photo which I can't  post for copyright reasons.The platform signal should be off for the A4, but as it is in the process of being motorised I can't move the arm either manually or mechanically at the moment. The caption to the original photo claims that the B1 is "on its way to New England shed". Why then is it displaying class A lights?  I think the A4 is coming off its train, and will be replaced by the B1. The only reason I can see for that to happen is that this was a KX - Skegness train, and the A4 would be barred from continuing onto the E.Lincs line, which was RA7. Now those KX- Skeggy trains were all Saturdays only workings, when proceedings at PN were even more overcrowded than usual, so I was very surprised to see the B1 occupying the Up main while awaiting the changeover. Unless I've got it all completely wrong of course............ Its amazing how one keeps learning new things, both about operating practices, and about paying proper attention in the first place. I don't know how many times I've looked at that photo before and not noticed the lamps on the B1.

Had the vac pipe fallen off the B1 on the original photo GN? Now that is the ultimate in modelling realism :mosking:

Sorry - couldn't resist it. The photos are stunning. Great atmosphere, enhanced by being in B&W.

Very kind of you Peter but you've got to have good subject material as a foundation for it and that's where a very big note of recognition should be given to you for the finest of building work.

PN6s.jpg

Reflecting a little on the B1 shot I think why it works well is that the lens matches what you'd expect an eye level perspective to be (even though it isn't as I'm off the end of the platform so to speak). Using a small form camera (Canon G12) helps you get the camera into some spots but the centre of the lens is at the height of the eyeball of the a 7' tall person hence the shot of the A4 + B1 looking less realistic; we always want more but if I could just pinch a few more mm in the lens height for 4mm work.

• Like 12

Distortion caused in some way by the camera lens Mick. That is one of my steel panelled Gresley articulated sets, and its in perfectly good shape(literally).

Glad to hear !! Bizarre effect it looks like it been hit with a hammer !!

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert needs to ask the local parcels office to check their van's tyres. :imsohappy: One of them appears to have run  over ahuge piece of chewing gum that has probably been discarded by a yoof on the forecourt area. :blackeye:

Quack

P.S. Just look at that building detail!

Also the depth of field is such that the distant Depot/Shed building looks just hazy enough to be exactly as it would in '58.

The overcoats suggest this is early spring or late autumn.

Madam (Mister?) red hat has been similarly affected, duck.... her left foot has gone down to her ankle in it!

Curious effect on my monitor: the courses of brick on the tower behind the "Peterborough" sign appear to slope down from left to right... but when the photo is viewed full size, all is as it should be in the world.

A masterful effort by all involved.

Edited by jukebox

• RMweb Gold

Very kind of you Peter but you've got to have good subject material as a foundation for it and that's where a very big note of recognition should be given to you for the finest of building work.

But that's the point, Andy. Peter's superb work is here not just plonked on a baseboard, but is blended into a scene with beautiful permanent way and gorgeous models of trains. Add in the authentic signals and scenic details and everything complements - and indeed compliments - everything else. Full credit to Gilbert's vision for that. Combine with the York photographic expertise & a lot of socks get knocked off!

• RMweb Premium

After posting, I blushed quietly to myself, thinking: "the man has devoted his modelling life to the subject, it would be a miracle if he doesn't have it! - "

Never mind, its the thought, etc., :)

Tony.

But it is these small run local publications that often contain vital information Tony, and I bet I don't know about all that exist. In fact until recently I thought there were only two Fincham books, until I saw and got the third. So, don't stop trying to help please, it is much appreciated, and it could result in giving me something I've been trying to find for a very long time.

• RMweb Premium

Madam (Mister?) red hat has been similarly affected, duck.... her left foot has gone down to her ankle in it!

Curious effect on my monitor: the courses of brick on the tower behind the "Peterborough" sign appear to slope down from left to right... but when the photo is viewed full size, all is as it should be in the world.

A masterful effort by all involved.

When the platform surfaces are finished off, I shall probably superglue all the people in position permanently, though having typed that I discover that i don't really want to do that. Anyway, for the time being bits of tacky wax and blu tack hold things in place, and sometimes a bit too much is applied, which is what gives the effect you have noticed.

As to the distortion, I remember posting a photo in which the loco name plate was illegible, but again viewed full size it was pin sharp. Something which happens in the process of reducing image size? I suspect Irfanview can have that effect.

• RMweb Premium

Had the vac pipe fallen off the B1 on the original photo GN? Now that is the ultimate in modelling realism :mosking:

Sorry - couldn't resist it. The photos are stunning. Great atmosphere, enhanced by being in B&W.

I think someone must have nicked the vac pipe - there were a lot of dodgy people about back then you know. Seriously, I was saying to Andy Y not long ago that one never notices these things till too late, and here is yet another example.

• Like 1

But it is these small run local publications that often contain vital information Tony, and I bet I don't know about all that exist. In fact until recently I thought there were only two Fincham books, until I saw and got the third. So, don't stop trying to help please, it is much appreciated, and it could result in giving me something I've been trying to find for a very long time.

Thanks Gilbert. After posting, when I was mulling over the wisdom of it, I did consider the possibility you have outlined. Sometimes, I'm sure, there is one particular image, some detail that is missing no matter how complete one's library of reference. Certainly, if I come across something that just might be useful, I'll happily offer it. :D

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I printed off the photo in post 4311 and showed it to my partner. She has lived in Peterborough all her life. She vaguely remembers the building of Peterborough North and despite the nameboard above the building went on to say 'that's the old North station'. She did say that she didn't recall the shed at the northern end of the forecourt but did point out that it is, after all, over 50 years ago that the picture represents.

I then said that it was a model railway layout that belonged to someone and she was quite shocked by the level of detail and authenticity. Perhaps I should have tried it in black and white.

Incidentally her late brother might have had a lot more to say, he was a little older and a founder member of the group which ultimately became the Nene Valley Railway. As a further aside a lot of the roads in Peterborough bearing railway related names can haves those names traced back to him as well (e.g. Gresley Way and Ivatt Way, there are others). Sadly a traffic accident robbed us of his enthusiasm and knowledge quite a few years ago.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another little test of observation today, as I want to see if the addition to the layout made during Peter Leyland's visit yesterday makes as much impact on others as it did on us. So, can you see what's new? One clue - it isn't shown on the first photo.post-98-0-55965400-1375705819_thumb.jpg

A busy late evening scene. Grantham A3 Persimmon has the 6.20 pm KX - Leeds, and is about to cross Doncaster A1 W P Allen, slowing to a standstill with the Up White Rose.

post-98-0-13511200-1375705974_thumb.jpg

A slightly different view of two very common ECML locos, though Persimmon did give me a cop when I saw her at Grantham in 1956, as she had just been transferred back from the GC section. We had only just arrived from Lincoln, and she appeared running back down from the turning triangle at the South end. Why is it that events such as this stick in the memory? I made a lot of visits to the ECML back then, but I have no memory at all of most of them.

post-98-0-53740000-1375706456_thumb.jpg

And a view from Crescent Bridge.

post-98-0-97060900-1375706556_thumb.jpg

A closer view of the A1.

post-98-0-21694700-1375706666_thumb.jpg

and the A3 from on high.

post-98-0-36365800-1375706805_thumb.jpg

While the camera was on the tripod I took this, as I know some people like to see shots that show a broader view of the layout. Lots of clutter in the background which I should have tided up though.

post-98-0-77257100-1375706998_thumb.jpg

And while I was about it I tried this unusual view of the A1 too.

post-98-0-23698100-1375707904_thumb.jpg

I also got a bit tired of photoshopping, so this view of the hotel garden even features those ****** bookcases.

post-98-0-37593500-1375707326_thumb.jpg

I know this doesn't work for several reasons, but it does, along with several other shots, give the answer to the question I posed. It also confirms that I must somehow get a low relief backscene of the houses on Station Road. Problem is, I've only ever seen one photo of them.

post-98-0-25688800-1375707586_thumb.jpg

I liked all the different roof lines on this one.

post-98-0-15504800-1375707685_thumb.jpg

And a different angle of the forecourt and hotel.

post-98-0-11705900-1375707985_thumb.jpg

Another thing Peter got done yesterday was the final coat of paint on the forecourt, which required one of his "tricks of the trade" techniques. I shall now get on with adding drains, manhole covers and other such exciting things. And here ends today's bumper edition.

• Like 16