Squires to take over DJH products

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Whilst a hypothetical discussion about whether businesses should want to expand or not is highly exciting, given this particular one has just bought a range, it probably isn't relevant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Grief! Another 'handbags' development I see.

All hail Squires and the DJH Range. It will be interesting to see how they progress this and their existing ranges. The ex DJH 7mm range is certainly worth the effort.

Whataboutery has spoiled a good news thread.

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

10 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Whilst a hypothetical discussion about whether businesses should want to expand or not is highly exciting, given this particular one has just bought a range, it probably isn't relevant.

The principle point, though, was Squires' trading / payment methods - which ARE relevant.

CJI.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, YT-1300 said:

But how less so?  

You fill out the order form, they get back to you with payment details, you pay then get it delivered.  Simple and easy.

Yeah, dead cheap and efficient since Rowland Hill invented the 1d post.

Fix the government's finances by bringing back stamp duty on cheques!

One point not raised so far - supply of components.

DJH had a strict policy of not supplying them, unless you had purchased the kit from them.

Squires seem to be far more flexible with their recently acquired range(s) of kits - it would be excellent if this attitude could extend to the former DJH kits.

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I'm afraid to say attitudes like that generally stop me from using certain companies. Essentially calling potential customers lazy is not the best way to conduct business.

I never once said I wouldn't use a company that uses analogue/out of date methods, I simply said it is potentially off putting to customers.

I take it that you are not a reader of MRJ?

Fortunately there is no law compelling people to do business in a certain way.

It might well put off some customers. They probably do not want these customers.

As I have said before, one major retail chain has a perception of its customer. It is doing rather well in limiting its customer base to that market.

Bernard 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Yes, I had to work hard to get a trader to post on RMWeb relatively recently, because of it's reputation (and the select few who spoil the experience for the rest).  I won't be doing it again though as it's just embarrassing.

My original comment was aimed at those with disabilities, including autism, which can make some forms of communication extremely difficult, if not down right painful, for those who are ND.  Yes it's covered under the Equalities Act and DDA so is a "real" disability.

Do you really expect that posters should be able to make ill-informed comments about how traders should conduct their businesses, and not attract counter posts about the practical realism of what is being proposed?

Were we to sit back and take such criticism on the chin, RMweb would become even more of a winge-fest, and we traders would be perceived as idle, self-satisfied money-grabbers.

If we are doing things so badly, why don't the nay-sayers get off their high horses, set up in business, and show us how it should be done?

Thought not!

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1

59 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Yes, I had to work hard to get a trader to post on RMWeb relatively recently, because of it's reputation (and the select few who spoil the experience for the rest).  I won't be doing it again though as it's just embarrassing.

My original comment was aimed at those with disabilities, including autism, which can make some forms of communication extremely difficult, if not down right painful, for those who are ND.  Yes it's covered under the Equalities Act and DDA so is a "real" disability.

Those conditions existed before the internet and people still manged

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear.

The news is great for those who like building model railway kits.

Now how someone runs their business is up to them. Should Roger want to be the Amazon of the toy train tool and kit world I am sure one of those on here saying he should, would be willing to set up a system for him, free of charge.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

No we didn't!

So before the internet you sat about and done nothing with your life?

That is an absolute insult to all those who live with ND issues

5 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Ahhh yes, the classic "man up and deal with it" attitude towards mental health. Got to love how these attitudes persist in supposedly more enlightened times.

Who said man up and deal with it?

Just now, Tim Dubya said:

How dare you! I live with a ND and it isn't an issue!

Yes it is.  Stop using it as an excuse.

I have friends and a relative who have been diagnosed with Autism and Asperger's, long before online shopping, and they coped, they lived as normal a life as possible.  They were able to order things mail order by phone etc.

Saying those sufferers didn't cope is very insulting to them.

16 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Ahhh yes, the classic "man up and deal with it" attitude towards mental health. Got to love how these attitudes persist in supposedly more enlightened times.

Why do such as you always suppose that your interlocutor has zero experience of mental health issues?

I know all about such matters from personal experience - and I don't assume that the rest of the world doesn't know or care.

We don't all carry our experiences as a chip on our shoulder, or a stick with which to belabour everyone else.

CJI.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

It's called equality.  Long campaigned for, and rightly so.

It works both ways, however.

• Like 1

Yesterday there was a good news story about a long established range being picked up by an current supplier of goods to the model railway market so ensuring continuity of said modelling range.

A few people have managed to turn it into an argument about nothing and certainly nothing to do with the announcement itself.

Can you all take 5 minutes to think how this all looks to someone visiting the site.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 6

Struggling to see how someone with the nouse and motivation to build either a kit or something from scratch (which is the market Squires serves) can't work out how to use a non-phone payment method or doesn't have the patience to. 

And yes, it is excellent news. All power to Squires' elbow. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Can you all take 5 minutes to think how this all looks to someone visiting the site.

It looks like robust debate - which is nothing more than a healthy exchange of well argued opinions.

Nothing to be scared of!

CJI.

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It looks like robust debate - which is nothing more than a healthy exchange of well argued opinions.

Nothing to be scared of!

CJI.

But it's all people seem to do these days, spend time arguing for the sake of it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

3 hours ago, YT-1300 said:

You don't need to transfer your bank details over email when ordering from them

For a properly functioning live stock e-commerce site it cost far in excess of £2k, and an incredible amount of time to list all the stock. And a fair amount of time maintaining it.

Then, if this results in extra sales, more time is taken up by extra packing and posting tasks.

Yes it would be great if Squires had an all-singing and dancing website with real time stock levels. However, I am not an e-commerce expert but it looks like it would be a nightmare to integrate this with their exhibition sales stand. Would require either a 100% stock check after each exhibition or for them scan every single thing they sell at each show. The guys are working like one-arm paperhangers as it is.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But it's all people seem to do these days, spend time arguing for the sake of it.

Oh no they don’t….  🤭

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

Back to Squires - I recently ordered by phone from the US two SEF loco kits with chassis.  I have to say they are excellent and complete with cab glazing......  The SEF website is long overdue for update but I think the price list is up to date.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Longhaireddavid said:

I don't know the current levels but Post Office "Poundage" on postal orders made them an expensive way to purchase anything.

Don't forget you had to pay stamp duty on your cheques (five bob for a book of 30 cheques) until a fortnight before decimalisation.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1