Squires to take over DJH products

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Don't forget you had to pay stamp duty on your cheques (five bob for a book of 30 cheques) until a fortnight before decimalisation.

Funny. However, Postal order poundage is now. See attached screen grab from Post Office web site

po.jpg.da7ef9076efdca02d55a099d2faf480f.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Is it safe here now?

A problem I have is that I've lost track of whomever owns what these days. Except for Comet being part of Wizard and LMS  not being a railway, but a Frankly (see what I attempted to do there?) excellent provider of SR Buffer Stops (I think?).

Finally it will be brilliant if Squires could make certain parts of kits available and also liaised with certain Loco Kit builders to support them (say) technically and would do it for nowt, just because they want to help. 

PDK do both those where possible.

ATB

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Except for Comet being part of Wizard and LMS  not being a railway, but a Frankly (see what I attempted to do there?) excellent provider of SR Buffer Stops (I think?).

I do wonder if people get confused when I say I put LMS buffers on my GWR wagon kits...

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

Interesting news especially as Ellis Clark seems to have bought up the remaining stock of DJH's 00 loco kits. It's a lot to take on, especially after buying SEF, so good luck to Squires.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 hours ago, alastairb said:

Yes it would be great if Squires had an all-singing and dancing website with real time stock levels. However, I am not an e-commerce expert but it looks like it would be a nightmare to integrate this with their exhibition sales stand. Would require either a 100% stock check after each exhibition or for them scan every single thing they sell at each show. The guys are working like one-arm paperhangers as it is.

At least one "Small Supplier" has managed this by setting up a system where all items are bar coded and has a reader that can record sales as they happen. That feeds back into  a stock record system. The items sold are modelling materials (wire, tube, nuts, bolts, glues, solder, etc.) and not usually individually packaged. He attends some shows and has an online sales website.

That would probably be similar to what Squires would need to do. It would take some time, effort and cost to set up but would, over time, provide benefits. I have found that telephone orders placed with Squires now usually have several items not identified as unavailable when ordering or charged for when the shipment arrives, but listed as "Backorder". However, their system doesn't put them on Backorder, so they aren't supplied unless re-ordered at a later date.

The sales of SEF and DJH kits will be a relatively small percentage of overall unit sales, although of a greater financial percentage. So dealing with those, managing stock, etc. should be more straightforward, although the associated bits, pieces and accessories will be more time consuming. I think that Squires perhaps need to reflect that they are effectively running two different types of business alongside each other and set out strategies to ensure that they can manage each most effectively. One is based on buying in, storing and retailing a wider range of differing items in volume, the other is about manufacturing as well as buying in some items, packaging, storing and retailing a smaller range of more expensive items at lower volumes. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

At least one "Small Supplier" has managed this by setting up a system where all items are bar coded and has a reader that can record sales as they happen. That feeds back into  a stock record system. The items sold are modelling materials (wire, tube, nuts, bolts, glues, solder, etc.) and not usually individually packaged. He attends some shows and has an online sales website.

That would probably be similar to what Squires would need to do. It would take some time, effort and cost to set up but would, over time, provide benefits. I have found that telephone orders placed with Squires now usually have several items not identified as unavailable when ordering or charged for when the shipment arrives, but listed as "Backorder". However, their system doesn't put them on Backorder, so they aren't supplied unless re-ordered at a later date.

The sales of SEF and DJH kits will be a relatively small percentage of overall unit sales, although of a greater financial percentage. So dealing with those, managing stock, etc. should be more straightforward, although the associated bits, pieces and accessories will be more time consuming. I think that Squires perhaps need to reflect that they are effectively running two different types of business alongside each other and set out strategies to ensure that they can manage each most effectively. One is based on buying in, storing and retailing a wider range of differing items in volume, the other is about manufacturing as well as buying in some items, packaging, storing and retailing a smaller range of more expensive items at lower volumes. 

Well identified Jol. That's exactly the sort of ideas they could consider. 

P

• Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Yes they could set up a system to do just that. Practical for kits etc but maybe not for the myriad of lines they carry on their exhibition stand, many of which are not packaged or barcoded, eg switches, nuts and bolts, sheet material etc.  Their stand at exhibitions is large and very busy, usually with several people waiting to to pay for items at any one time. Scanning everything through will not be quicker than the staffs impressive mental arithmetic.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, alastairb said:

Yes they could set up a system to do just that. Practical for kits etc but maybe not for the myriad of lines they carry on their exhibition stand, many of which are not packaged or barcoded, eg switches, nuts and bolts, sheet material etc.  Their stand at exhibitions is large and very busy, usually with several people waiting to to pay for items at any one time. Scanning everything through will not be quicker than the staffs impressive mental arithmetic.

Ironically it is keeping control of stocks of non packaged and small items that sell in volume which are generally harder to manage. Boxed, slow selling kits are relatively easy to manage as stocks are low, easily identified, counted and kept under control. 

As you say Squires staff do a great job at exhibitions. I generally have a specific list and sometimes find  difficult to see what I want amongst the myriad of items.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Hasn't anyone bought anything from Markits?

They don't have e commerce but a phone call gets your order in and the goods usually ariive within a few days.

Same with Alan Gibson and many other purveyors of useful bits.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alastairb said:

Phil at Hobby Holidays has done this with all his small parts for a few years and he has not been on the exhibition circuit for a couple of years

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hasn't anyone bought anything from Markits?

They don't have e commerce but a phone call gets your order in and the goods usually ariive within a few days.

Same with Alan Gibson and many other purveyors of useful bits.

I think Colin* has used bar codes for a little while

* Sorry if I have got the name wrong

On 16/02/2024 at 22:55, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

So is production ceasing in Consett and moving elsewhere? just if your keeping the ready built models is the model makers been kept employed who build them?

My first thoughts too were the professional model makers and designers. Last accounts listed around thirty employees. Can’t be good news for them.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2024 at 10:28, cctransuk said:

small traders such as myself,

Now here's a thing, I don't see you as a small trader at all, more of a "mate/pal/friend/acquaintance" who can make me some things I can make good use of.

Maybe the problems of the model railway suppliers world are more down to perception?

Mike.

32 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

People do realise that Squires sell on eBay?

Bought a few items from them over the years including loco kits!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/squirestools

Jason

There is no mention of that on the Squires website as far as I can see. I have taken a look and it doesn't look very "searchable", given the range of items Squires sells.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
typo
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can happily pay a small supplier by any means they care to specify. The more common issue for me has been identifying that they exist at all and establishing what it is they sell and whether that meets my needs.

We need to be careful of the distinction between a basic (but updated periodically) website - which I suggest is in this day and age highly desirable for any who is indeed a ‘small trader’ rather than just someone who will produce a dozen of something and sell you the four they don’t need themselves IF you can track them down - and a proper E-commerce ordering and payment system, which may indeed be ‘overkill’ for the size of range and amount of business they do. 

Edited by Willie Whizz
Incorrect t autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I like to wheel out Connoisseur's website http://www.jimmcgeown.com when this topic comes up.

It's technically about as complicated as a stick but it's very very well written. Lots of nice clear images and text telling you all about the models. You can download instructions to further get a feel for a kit before you buy. Ordering is manual but clearly explained.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ultimately it's a commercial decision for the vendor and a personal decision for the customer.

I understand why many small suppliers don't want to develop a good e-commerce capability as they're cottage industries, it's a major investment for such small businesses and/or it's as much a hobby as a true business. OK, they lose sales and won't grow, but if they are happy to stay small then that's not the end of the world.

I also understand that in a world of extremely slick and user friendly websites, when we take live inventory and fast delivery for granted many customers aren't interested in making the effort to buy from businesses that do not make the effort to do e-commerce well. 

Both are legitimate choices and are what they are. Just as I don't think we can blame cottage industry suppliers for not doing e-commerce, neither do I blame people who can't be bothered with such businesses.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

We have real issues here where many small traders are stopping attending exhibitions to demonstrate their wares, and fewer model railway shops supporting the kit building group outside the very big players

Sometimes its very difficult to find out what is actually available, even when some have a web presence. I guess its down to the fact there are less kit builders around ?. Or demand is too low

• Agree 3