Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

When does a trainset become a model railway - what's your criteria?

2 minutes ago, sncf231e said:

So this is not a trainset since it is H0 ?

Regards

Fred

It'll have the same scale/gauge imbalance as British OO does if it runs on 16.5mm track.  Russian railways are a bit "broader" than Standard Gauge...

To me it's simple. 

A train set comes in a handy size  box, everything you need to almost plug and play.

It gets put away back in the box when things like lunch is ready or guests are due.

A model railway is a more permanent feature, or portable, but not something that goes in a handy box and gets  put on a shelf with the board games till next time. 

A model railway is generally scenic beyond maybe the odd plonked station, tunnel over a siding etc.

I.e scenery with a purpose rather than dressing

A model railway doesn't have to be scenic of course. 

And of course train set is a catch all phrase used as:

An uninformed explanation " Oh he's in the shed playing with his train set"

A comedic device  of understatement between fellow devotees, " This is my train set." said whilst revealing a fully sceniced and detailed scale model of a 5 mile stretch of the Settle and Carlisle

As some light joshing between modellers,  normally at an exhibition, " How's the train set today?"

Finally a throwaway explanation of impending activity used between spouses, " I'm going spend an hour with my train set dear."

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2024 at 07:54, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Back to the topic .........................

Having spent some time thinking about this, I there may be three definitions

1. Train set

2. Model Railway

3. Model Railway Layout

A train set uses track and model trains, but has no defining style, no defining location, no defining period and no purpose other to entertain

But it may have in the eyes of the operator.......its a personal thing...

Chris

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 hours ago, Gilbert said:

But it may have in the eyes of the operator.......its a personal thing...

Chris

Absolutely and I fully realise that under my three definitions, Pendon is not a model railway as it's basically a big roundy-roundy, but virtually every 10ft x 2ft  BLT is a model railway.

Anyway, enough, time to go and do more work on my layout (not model railway).

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, AyJay said:

Don't turn up your nose at the trainset!  It's purpose is for having fun.

As for a definition of when it stops being a trainset and starts being a model railway, I'd say that lies with how you view it.

However, I'd suggest that a good first step is getting it off the carpet!

Unless you are called Sam. His call obviously, but for someone with the skill set he has for researching and building the 3D model of Gladstone  that carpet base loft layout of his seems oddly out of place.

Going back to the OP I think some of the distinction just comes down to a form of snobbery by some viewers/users of the phrase, especially in the group of non-railway interested, never do any crafting of any sort people who also automatically see us as boring, nerdy anoraks.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've been sitting on this for a while, so pin pulled and here it goes;

A train set is OO, a model railway begins when a modeller sees the light and moves on to EM, P4 or whatever.

Mike.

In the corner with my tin hat on.

DUCK !  😆

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, SM42 said:

A model railway is a more permanent feature, or portable, but not something that goes in a handy box and gets  put on a shelf with the board games till next time. 

They can be built into a box though, or even a box file. But still not the same as a train set as you don’t take them apart to put into the box.

2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Absolutely and I fully realise that under my three definitions, Pendon is not a model railway as it's basically a big roundy-roundy, but virtually every 10ft x 2ft  BLT is.

Anyway, enough, time to go and do more work on my layout (not model railway).

Oh no, Pendon is not a model railway...  It's oh so much more than just a model railway.  If you understand that, then an explanation is not necessary. If you don't understand that, then no explanation is possible.   And I'm now a volunteer there.

As for train sets, I said that they are for fun. "Why else would a grown man play with trains"  I loved watching this series. 

1 hour ago, john new said:

Unless you are called Sam. His call obviously, but for someone with the skill set he has for researching and building the 3D model of Gladstone  that carpet base loft layout of his seems oddly out of place.

Sam can obviously speak for himself, but my impression is that he sees trains in much the same way that other modellers see aircraft, or ships, or cars. That is, the model itself is the thing, and there's no need to create a setting in which to display it. And that's an attitude which is common across a lot of modelling disciplines. It's railway modellers who seem to be the odd ones out here, in that we do generally prefer to place our models in a setting. It might be interesting to reflect on why that is.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Sam can obviously speak for himself, but my impression is that he sees trains in much the same way that other modellers see aircraft, or ships, or cars. That is, the model itself is the thing, and there's no need to create a setting in which to display it. And that's an attitude which is common across a lot of modelling disciplines. It's railway modellers who seem to be the odd ones out here, in that we do generally prefer to place our models in a setting. It might be interesting to reflect on why that is.

Valid point and I think there was a sea-change in the 1950s and 60s; magazine trends acting as influencers in the same way YouTubers are supposedly contributing today. The crowds watching test tracks and the fiddle yards at exhibitions (me often included) suggests scenery isn't necessarily a key draw.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, john new said:

That is, the model itself is the thing, and there's no need to create a setting in which to display it. And that's an attitude which is common across a lot of modelling disciplines.

Yes, YouTubes of model exhibitions show aircraft and military vehicles sometimes on their own and sometimes in small dioramas.  Always just static.  For figures this is called basing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been reading the posts and thinking how I feel. To me a model railway is one when I can imagine myself in miniature as a part of it watching the trains go by and walking around.

A train set is when there are trains but I cannot imagine myself as being in the scene.

Sometimes I can see (say) a Hornby Dublo 3 rail layout at an exhibition and I able to imagine being a person on the platform.  Sometimes I look at a really well modelled branch line yet it leaves me cold.  I can't always explain why.

It's like being in a theatre or watching something on TV or at a cinema when you know it isn't real but you feel a part of it.  To me that can happen in any theatre if what I am watching is well acted no matter how basic the set behind the actors.  

I do have a good imagination, when I can't sleep at night I imagine I am somewhere else doing something I really enjoy and it can feel very real and eventually I go to sleep.

I think my feeling may be a bit different from some other people.  At home when I run either of my layouts neither of which is complete in scenic terms I can imagine myself there, I can even visualise myself going into the houses.  Perhaps I should model the interiors of the buildings.

David

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I do not refer to my layout as a model railway though friends up the pub do and I don’t mind that.  I would be seriously offended if it were to be referred to as a train set in any other than an ironic or humorous fashion.  I refer to it as a railway, not model but small and in the 1950s.  I am happy for The Squeeze to refer to it as ‘The Trains’ or ‘Pociagi’ in Polish.  This word is pronounced as ‘Potchongi’. 

• Like 2

Interesting views so far. There won’t be a single definition for either as it’s a very subjective question, but I’d offer two thoughts. On a technical level a train set to me is something you buy as a kit of parts while a model railway is something you build independently - a bit like baking a cake using separate ingredients or buying a box of cake mix. A model railway can of course contain a train set within it though, if the parts are used and expanded beyond what the box suggests.

I think what the OP was more referring to is an aesthetic difference between the two, which for me is a simple as hiding the return curves. If I can see the train go all the way round it’s a train set but if it has an illusion of going off scene before returning then that’s a model railway to me.

Both are wonderful whatever their differences!

David 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A model Railway set is what my parents gave me, a model Railway layout is what I turned it into.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

44 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Mallard-Askren.jpeg

6 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Didn't one of those once fly at 126mph?

😁

And then started falling to bits...

🙄

• Like 3