New Bachmann BR MK1 BSO, FO & RB

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

FO + BCK = Intercity Swallow white roof stock….would be timely for a class 89 ?

FO is the gap in wcrc stock too..

RB… I guess were close to a REP now.

nice

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They didn’t has you know but, I would have thought it would have been logical to release new coaches with dcc fitted as standard to bring the whole rage of coaches up to the same standards, with the older coaches they already produced being upgraded when the tooling becomes worn. 

• Like 1

These are the three most numerous gangwayed Mark 1 types not hitherto covered by Bachmann. All have been done by Hornby at a more basic level but these will be higher-quality and higher-specification models, probably with better liveries than Hornby has done.

As for liveries, there was a chocolate and cream BSO+RB pair in the Cathedrals Express in the early 1960s, with the BSO being used for dining.

49070593247_5c2e462f24_c.jpg7031_Cathedrals_Shipton-under-Wychwood by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Coaches S3063-3070 from Doncaster batch 30169 were allocated from new to the Southern region, and received SR green post 1956. Often used on Southampton liner trains where 1st class accommodation was usual.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, farren said:

They do look very nice, has the DCC fitted range been dropped 

Not been aware of any DCC fitted mk1s from Bachmann. What these have is the pick up system on the axle pinpoints, which I think was first seen on the mk1 based Met-Camm Pullman cars, and MU carriages, and performs well both in respect of pick up and free rolling performance; at last displacing the Trix Commonwealth bogie from its position as the most free running RTR OO item.

Welcome additions to the mk1 range which further increases the lead of the reigning champion in number of vehicle variations covered from a standard format design. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Diagram 71 First Open coaches were built by Doncaster, York, Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon, Wolverton and Swindon, with no fewer than 128 FOs built between 1953 and 1963. Delivered to all regions except the Southern, the first vehicles were painted in BR’s Crimson & Cream colour scheme but later builds went straight into BR Maroon and to a 
lesser extent, Chocolate & Cream. Each coach provided 42 first class seats with a toilet at both ends of the vehicle. 

The model they are doing is a Diagram 73, by far the most numerous type of Mark 1 FO.

Diag 71 applied to the first three, with no middle doors, which Bachmann has done. Diag 72 had a door into the middle seating bay.

• Like 1

• AY Mod changed the title to New Bachmann BR MK1 BSO, FO & RB

Revisiting the MK1 is definitely welcome. I can't really see the photos properly on my mobile but looks the FO is an original build and the RB/BFO more suitable for modern stock as has lost end steps and do they have window frames?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Blimey. About time. Phew. 

I know Hornby have done these, but it does look odd mixing and matching the coaches, especially in blue/grey so I will absolutely be getting some of these. As mentioned above, the press release is wrong isn’t it regarding the SR coaches. I thought these were delivered to SR in green or would they have been crimson/cream?

Now Bachmann, please put me and others out of our misery and shrink the BSO & RBR down, please, please, please. 

• Like 2

And I think they're re-releasing the TSO using the old tooling? 

I do like the sound of some new bogies though.... would be magic if they fit the Mk2f chassis ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Coaches S3063-3070 from Doncaster batch 30169 were allocated from new to the Southern region, and received SR green post 1956. Often used on Southampton liner trains where 1st class accommodation was usual.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

And they all still exist….indeed there is only 1 bck missing from recreating the exact train.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

From the BR Diagram Book Index:

35647181231_295fb30c37_c.jpgBSO-Diagram-book-index by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

35738299986_ac70e7dd82_c.jpgFO-73-Diagram-book-index by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

BSOs up to E9321 were crimson and cream when new. I found a photo of E9321 in that livery a while back. Several were repainted maroon in 1956 for the Talisman.

FO were crimson and cream when new up to E3080. Note that E3076-80 had the trial batch of Commonwealth bogies but this is not shown in the index. As they were built in 1955, S3063-70 will have been crimson and cream when new. 

The FO listing also includes the various other diagrams. E3081-84 were 1957 experimental prototypes. Two of the WR batch of FOs were painted umber and cream to match Pullman cars in the Blue Pullman substitute set in the early 1960s.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

Excellent news, and if in blue/grey to match the new announcement of Mk1 seconds that'll give me the chance to build up a complete 1968 west coast rake for the new layout (I don't worry about the virtually invisible carriage numbers) to go alongside the Mk2a rake, and allow me to retire my Replica FOs.

The 1975 Accurascale passengers will also not starve after dark if the RB coaches also have the pick-up fitted bogies mentioned in the re-issued second class Mk1 announcement last quarter.  Having wired up an Oxford Mk3 rake with lights (destroying every coupling in the process) having bogies with pick-ups is a big help when you want to fit after market lighting and even for a solder-phobic like me not too difficult.

Good bread-and-butter announcement that will potentially be more worthwhile than some big flashy loco announcement.

• Like 4

I've found my older Bachmann mk1s tend to be too high... And its a bit of a fight to get them to run a bit lower. Anyhow I wonder if these ones match the older tooling.... or are more aligned to their MK2fs.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am sure it must be my eyesight but the new bogie designs appear to suffer the same as the old ones. Have a butchers at the brake and wheel interface.

Can see what you mean Mr M! Would be a shame if that was perpetuated in newly designed bogies…. Wonder if these EPs are sat on old ones? 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2