The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I picked up a very nice copy of Wind in the Willows from ebay recently, primarily to read to the grandkids when they come to stay, assuming they will be able to at some time, I've never read it myself, so I am working my way through that as a different distraction, I never ever read fiction, but enjoying this.

G'night all.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, andyram said:

I feel less comfortable with continuing to open the doors in the current environment and I am thinking about the prospect of online sales only for a period -whether these will prove enough is questionable.

Understandably so. 

We're now in a "stay home, stay healthy" order by the governor. The state did not want to use the "shelter in place" verbiage used by California. ("Shelter in place" has a context with earthquakes, which means "stay where you are, don't go anywhere, so long as you are in a safe place" which is distinct from "stay home".) The specifics of what should remain open are unclear though I expect clarification on this on Monday.

Prior to Friday, most retail establishments were open, subject to proper distancing precautions though many places made their own decision to close. I expect this to change. Construction work had continued - most work maintaining a proper distance. I can see this changing too.

On Tuesday I have an appointment with a financial advisor (scheduled long before the COVID-19 market belly flop) which was supposed be in person. On Thursday I declined an opportunity to do this remotely, but have since reconsidered this decision. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I spent the morning in the workshop, where I drilled and tapped 2 - 2.5mm holes in each of the 28 relays. As I mentioned the other day, there are 2 different types of relay and some originally came with fixing screws. I found that 2 of the relays didn’t have any screws and I wasn’t able to find any that fitted, so I decided to open these holes out and tap them 2.5mm also. So I ended up drilling all 28 relays, making a total of 56 holes drilled and tapped. I also drilled 2 2.5mm holes in the circuit board so the relays could be fixed in place. After dinner I continued to modify the relays to board mounting and by tea I’d started to assemble the first one.

After we sat down with a nice bottle of Malbec and caught up on some recorded TV. 

I do like Baz’s idea of posting on here every daily. I generally post twice a day, so I’ll endeavour to keep doing so. 

Goodnight and stay safe everyone. 

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

I spent the morning in the workshop, where I drilled and tapped 2 - 2.5mm holes in each of the 28 relays. As I mentioned the other day, there are 2 different types of relay and some originally came with fixing screws. I found that 2 of the relays didn’t have any screws and I wasn’t able to find any that fitted, so I decided to open these holes out and tap them 2.5mm also. So I ended up drilling all 28 relays, making a total of 56 holes drilled and tapped. I also drilled 2 2.5mm holes in the circuit board so the relays could be fixed in place. Goodnight and stay safe everyone. 

I think that I would have attached the relays to a plug and installed sockets on the circuit board. Replacement of a failed relay would be so much easier.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a cold walk this morning, but managed to say hello to a large number of neighbours.

Mid-afternoon we took the car out for gas and cat food. The mall parking lot was almost empty -- most of the stores are non-essential and probably closed. I used to claim that 90% of the shosps in tha mall were ladies' dress shops. Now only 60% are dress shops while 30% are cell phone stores.

We bought gas for under 70 cents a liter which is the cheapest since we started our record book.

Some of our non-essential shops are offering curbside (kerb?) service. Call in your order and they will bring it out and put it in the car boot.

Last week a friend mentioned needing signal bits. I gave him over a dozen Ratio boxes, half LMS. The other day I found another box.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good night owl from the Piedmont.

12 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

I used to claim that 90% of the shosps in tha mall were ladies' dress shops.

One mall near where I used to live in Baltimore, MD had a little over 10% shoe stores by actual count.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

Fell asleep early again but woke at 03:30ish

Went down stairs to find the stove out,  I forgot to give it it's evening load of coal. 

For some reason I'm very hungry..  So it will be porridge this morning, that plugs a hole... 

On my inherited layout the equivalent boards to BSW01s constructions were fitted with all duel in-line relays in sockets..  Hanging them upside down probably worked OK on when the layout was fixed in place.  But as this is an exhibition ( eventually ) layout  bouncing around in a trailer, that's not a good idea.  So an alternative system will be introduced . 

Two of the local MPs have put requests out for second homers not to come up to Norfolk.... Too late... 

Plans for today.. 

Deploy the new planer,  glue the keel frame together.

Plant some spuds.. 

Time I think to make some breakfast.. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

They certainly couldn't be used for a number two.

Don't you believe it.

Someone crapped inside a photocopier at work a while back.  They neatly dropped a curler on a bit that warms up.  Took a while to discover where the smell was coming from....

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

With people deliberately flouting the advice given I can see a full lock down (policed like Spain ) in fairly short order.

And not a moment too soon, IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Just a point, I've heard nothing on any News Channel about CV in Russia. We have heard about Europe, Asia, USA, Canada, South America, Australia, New Zealand, and many more, but I've nothing from any reports coming out of our friends in Russia.

Has anyone on here heard anything?

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Just a point, I've heard nothing on any News Channel about CV in Russia. We have heard about Europe, Asia, USA, Canada, South America, Australia, New Zealand, and many more, but I've nothing from any reports coming out of our friends in Russia.

Has anyone on here heard anything?

Google Russia Coronavirus and you can choose which news organisation you prefer. Looks similar to UK numerically. They closed the Chinese border early and most cases claim  to have been due to international travel contacts but now starting to get established.  Much stuff about how healthy Putin is!

Tony

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 13