The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Someone needs to introduce the mighty Hokkaido cheese tart to blighty.

What a damn fine idea. I haven’t had one of those in many a year but my recollection is that they are yummy.

Dave

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

What a damn fine idea. I haven’t had one of those in many a year but my recollection is that they are yummy.

Dave

The only trouble is, as our learned doctor has already stated, that by the time 'big business' has finished with it it'll have half the number of ingredients and won't taste anywhere near as good as the one you remembered.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 2
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Five solid hours sleep last night then I woke up to the rain and hail hitting the window. However I went back to sleep for another couple of hours without disturbing bladder control. Even Arthur Itis was behaving himself. Not sure what to do today, I've already voted by post so there's no reason to go out.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Someone needs to introduce the mighty Hokkaido cheese tart to blighty.

They look delicious but think of the calories.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

very muggy

Wish we could have muggy, we were down to near freezing at dawn and it was chucking it down as well. No thunder though, the Dartmoor land mass to the north west  of us greatly affects our weather.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Bin day today, we are given lockable containers by the council for food waste. This morning it was not in the place I had left it and when I checked the foxes had got in to it but just scattered a few bits around. Oddly I had put the handle in the upright position to lock the bin and it was still locked. It's known for the cleverer foxes to unlock the bins but they don't usually lock them again afterwards.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 13

17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Arthur Itis

Tell you what, vitamin D3 pills make mine worse supposed to take calcium pills as well but the combination ones i was prescribed have soya oil in them and i have a reaction to anything soya based so thats a no go!

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, petethemole said:

When I was in my 3rd year at Uni ('70-'71) some friends lived very close to a large local bakery. Next to their house was a path that went to the back entrance and presumably served as an emergency exit as it was open. We would knock on the back door about midnight and for a shilling get a bag of warm doughnuts with jam.

We didn't have anything as delicious in South Leeds but warm freshly baked breadcakes from the Bath Road bakery were always well received.  Allegedly there was also products from the man with the monacle or so I am told. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. We may have had a thunderstorm last night but if we did I must have slept through it. The seaweed twirlers have predicted some more for this afternoon but they can never be sure exactly where. I will be 76 in a couple of months time and my driving licence renewal dropped through the letterbox a couple of days ago. I will shortly be doing that on-line, my eyesight is up to scratch and I have no medical problems that will affect my ability to drive so there's no problem. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Deadly snake sightings:                  Once every 3 years.

etc

For me (over 20 something years)

Deadly snake sightings:                  Never

Deadly Spider sightings:                 Never - I've seen Black Widows in the US

Shark sightings:                                Probably many but never an actual threat (the Gold Coast has shark nets)

Deadly seasnake sightings:          Never

Deadly Blue Ringed Octopus sightings:       Never

Deadly jellyfish sightings:              Never, non-deadly jellyfish - innumerable, stung too*

* bluebottle / Indo-Pacific Man o’ War, which not a jellyfish but a siphonophore

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Deadly jellyfish sightings:              Never, non-deadly jellyfish - innumerable, stung too*

* bluebottle / Indo-Pacific Man o’ War, which not a jellyfish but a siphonophore

I notice that you didn't mention horses!

When young I once knelt on a bluebottles tentacles that had been washed up on the beach  - bloody hell, that stung!

Further to my list, I've spent many work trips in far Nth Queensland (RAAF Townsville) and the Northern Territory (RAAF Darwin and RAAF Tindal down near Katherine) and i've never ever seen anything dangerous.

I wouldn't  go in the water but!.. The Arafura Sea - the most impossibly blue water you could imagine, but you dare not  even step on the sand in case a croc dashes  out of the palm trees and puts you in a death roll!

I spent my time off  in the swimming pool in the motel.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I saw something interesting in the Ro-Ro terminal at Tanjong Pagar today, a big LNG fuelled vehicle carrier loading fuel from an LNG bunker vessel. Both vessels were only a a few weeks old, the bunker vessel is a world away from the sort of bunker barges that used to deliver heavy fuel oil, with twin membrane tanks. It's the first time I've seen LNG bunkering in that terminal, which is pretty much adjacent to the Singapore CBD. When LNG fuel was in its infancy there was a lot of talk that refuelling would be kept away from populated areas as a high hazard operation but it's rapidly becoming as normal as fuel oil bunkering.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 16

18 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Softies will recognise the significance of those two little words with or without an exclamation mark ......

Bonus points if you compile "Hunt The Wumpus"  ön it.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Something striking about modern vehicle carriers is that in side elevation they really are pretty much just rectangles, with vertical bow and stern profiles. Modern bow design theory is to optimise across a range of representative sea states and go through rather than over waves and swell. So bows now are increasingly of the X bow and axe bow types. Big cargo ships are more exe type which has a vertical bow, no bulb and minimises bow flare if possible. I prefer the older style to look at but modern types are much more comfortable for those onboard.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Posted (edited)

BIN day...Out and already serviced. Given it's not recycle week, the two weekly ones are usually done before I even finish my first cuppa.

Yesterday a long shopping expedition as the Mrs was looking for a specific warming tray, mostly for our entertaining events. Costco carry the exact one, but seems they (Costco) are one of the very few stores that don't provide details of in-stock items/quantities on their web site/app. We went to the closest one, not carried, checked with the service desk, THEY can see who has them (so why can't consumers!!??), then off to the next nearest that had 66 of the beasts available. On the way obtained the new PC monitor I'd pre-ordered, so we were out-and-about for quite a while.

Today, Whitney already here as Jemma is off again to the cabin, this time solo, to do some cleaning.

Mrs off to the dentist, then PT!

Me - working a new report for the client, and at some point re-arranging my PC configuration to incorporate the new monitor. It's one of three on the PC, but this one is larger/better/newer so I need to re-arrange to have it be the primary. Means moving almost EVERYTHING on my desk around - arrrggg....

Later, off to a schola rehearsal as the schola are singing for the Pentecost services May 19th. Our last official performance this season - though there's a RUMOUR we will have another Sunday performance to bid farewell to the choir director on her retirement.

9c and raining at BIN time, clearing already and 13c the expected high.

Carry on.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

It's one of three on the PC, but this one is larger/better/newer so I need to re-arrange to have it be the primary

Did you need a new lead too? 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I voted by post but I have seen various people getting upset on social media that they  have just noticed that the serial number of a ballot paper is recorded against your name. All kinds of conspiracy theory/ fear being suggested . I can’t believe people don’t know this happens. Voting is only secret when you make your mark. Every ballot can be tracked. This only happens in cases of suspected electoral fraud. The papers are kept for a year and a day in a big warehouse. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Agree 8