The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, PupCam said:

And to finish on a high.  A few photos of our very pleasant visit to Shuttleworth this morning.   I spent quite a lot of time admiring the two Cambridge Flying Group Tiger Moths which were being preped for and then flown.     Puppers came to the conclusion that perhaps some of his disposable income should be disposed of ......    A 30 minute flight costs  ~0.75 Noisy Deltics.     They can actually take you right through to your PPL (surely learning in a Tiger has got to be the best way to get there!)   but that I fear would cost many, many, many Noisy Deltics so maybe not.   There was some interesting activity in the engineering hangar with investigation work going on on the Bristol Monoplane's le Rhone.   As the front crankcase cover was off you could clearly see the master rod and the slaves - a feature of (all?) rotaries (proper ones not those new-fangled Wankel jobbies!) and radials.

Gladiator2.jpg.54f1ca6c6fbea83c9d674e2bd6523599.jpg

A Bristol Mercury if I'm not mistaken. You may notice four valves per cylinder, not bad for an engine designed in the late 1920's.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Well according to this site ,  https://www.security.org/how-secure-is-my-password/ 

without the  '' s a computer would take  4 quintillion years to crack that .

No need to thank me .   😎

That site now has your new password, where you live and has put a tracking cookie on your pc to see what sites you visit.....

Cynical?  Moi?

• Like 10
  • Funny 4

I’m afraid that all that high-octane, high-speed “bimbling” must have affected @PupCam‘s faculties. I think Puppers might be talking out of his exhaust regarding the definition of “A Deltic” as a currency unit.

Firstly, WHO decided upon the Accurascale OO model as the financial benchmark for a “Deltic”, why not the Heljan Sound and DCC equipped model (about £600)? Was this decided upon by ALL stakeholders and enshrined in law?

Is the “Deltic” on the Gold Standard (i.e. 1 Deltic equals X amount of gold held in a reserve bank)? Furthermore, to be a recognisable currency it has to be exchangeable against other currencies. Is The Deltic pegged against the US Lionel Trains “Big Boy”? How does it compare with the KATO Hayabusa Shinkansen now that the Yen is weaker than last year?

Or perhaps The Deltic is like the North Korean won (aka the Democratic People's Republic of Korea won), essentially worthless outside of ERs

Somehow I don’t think Warren Buffet has invested in Deltics…..

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

I never had much of an interest in Deltics as they were almost gone when I started travelling around the country by train but Cromptons and Hoovers were my thing. I recently found 10 cromptons in the loft and all still runnig. I do have a few Hoovers lurking somewhere.

That reminds me that I do need to plug the robotic cleaner back in this morning🙂

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A cloudy start to the day with the prospect of some sunny periods along with thundery showers.   11°C now rising to 21°C.

Nottalot happening here at the moment and nothing planned for the day... yet.  I expect that to change shortly as Herself has just made an appearance.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I rmembered to say White Rabbits this morning before I got up.  It is dull wiht a featureless grey sky, it may rain in a bit.

There is not much on the to do list today, just the accounts I didn't get done yesterday.  I also need to go to a shop as I forgot to order any tomatoes and only realised when I looked this morning and noticed there aren't any.  I might also go to see if the level crossing really has reopened to road traffic today, then on a sunny day I'll go and take photos.

Apart from that hopefully some more scanning and yet another attempt to find better places to put some things which are cluttring up the kitchen.

David

• Like 18

On 29/04/2024 at 15:09, Winslow Boy said:

Given the fact that Royal Mail are only delivering mail if they feel like it, it's unlikely that it would be delivered anyway.

On 29/04/2024 at 15:13, Hroth said:

Going by that, I should feel honoured as a postman rang my doorbell this morning and DIDN'T run away!

On 29/04/2024 at 15:43, Winslow Boy said:

Oh make a note of it as it will probably be a long time before you get another delivery.

Funny you should have said that, the postie was at my door this morning, rang the bell and didn't run away AGAIN!!!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I remembered to say White Rabbits this morning before I got up

I remembered to say “Oss Oss” and replied to myself (because Dr SWMBO is away midweek) with “Wee Oss”. 

Padstow marks May Day in its own way. Not quite as unique as they like to think but special nonetheless. That thumping drum is like the heartbeat of Spring. 

I’ll not be there this year. It’s not too far but there’s work to be done here, it’s Muddling Afternoon and I need an early night because I’m on watch first thing tomorrow. 

No drunken shenanigans around the maypole for this Gwiwer then. But I’ll enjoy re-living the memories 🙈🙉🙊

“Wither we are going we all shall unite in the merry morning of May”

• Like 19

17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Funny you should have said that, the postie was at my door this morning, rang the bell and didn't run away AGAIN!!!

Oh I watch out if I were you. Definitely odd. Are you sure it wasn't MI5 checking on you or even worse ENVRI playing a trick on you?

Watch out, watch out there's a postie about.

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Cynical?  Moi?

Not that anyone's noticed .    😎

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Oh I watch out if I were you. Definitely odd. Are you sure it wasn't MI5 checking on you or even worse ENVRI playing a trick on you?

You're just JEALOUS that I'm close to a working Delivery Office!!!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone 

Well, the weather can’t make its mind up today, one minute it’s dark and looks like it could rain at any moment, the next it’s bright sunshine! Anyway, I’m going to chance it and try and get a bit of work done in the garden, I’ve also got a few more seeds that I’d like to get sown too. If the weather turn, I can always find something to do in the workshop 😉

Back later

Brian 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Well, the weather can’t make its mind up today, one minute it’s dark and looks like it could rain at any moment, the next it’s bright sunshine!

Same here, but quite breezy too.

Aditi felt generally unwell yesterday following her Covid vaccine on Monday but seems back to her normal self today. 
Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A Bristol Mercury if I'm not mistaken. You may notice four valves per cylinder, not bad for an engine designed in the late 1920's.

Yes indeed.  I believe I'm correct in saying that at one of the displays this year there will be 4 in the air simultaneously; 2 in the Blenheim, 1 in the Lysander and the 1 in the Gladiator (photo).  

Should be good!    They have a very mellow sound to them I think.

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I’m afraid that all that high-octane, high-speed “bimbling” must have affected @PupCam‘s faculties. I think Puppers might be talking out of his exhaust regarding the definition of “A Deltic” as a currency unit.

Firstly, WHO decided upon the Accurascale OO model as the financial benchmark for a “Deltic”, why not the Heljan Sound and DCC equipped model (about £600)? Was this decided upon by ALL stakeholders and enshrined in law?

Is the “Deltic” on the Gold Standard (i.e. 1 Deltic equals X amount of gold held in a reserve bank)? Furthermore, to be a recognisable currency it has to be exchangeable against other currencies. Is The Deltic pegged against the US Lionel Trains “Big Boy”? How does it compare with the KATO Hayabusa Shinkansen now that the Yen is weaker than last year?

Or perhaps The Deltic is like the North Korean won (aka the Democratic People's Republic of Korea won), essentially worthless outside of ERs

Somehow I don’t think Warren Buffet has invested in Deltics…..

#1  Be very afraid ... 😛

#2   @polybear

#3  Because he doesn't do 7mm!

So now the definition is published and you know.      Next .......

ION

I've just de-coked the coffee machine and now I suspect a day of unspecified pottering will ensue.   Have a good one!

TTFN

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

My postie is very reliable as are most of the delivery companies around here. The one exception is UPS which is dire.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Actually I was reading earlier that as part of the Free trade agreement   signed with us,  you  send us doctors, nurses and the police, in return we send you Auspost posties.

(Warning, contains high-level Australian language...)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13