The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

Great to see Gordon back as well as Debs!

It is a fairly warm morning in this part of the world.  Temperatures are due to get up to around 34°C later on.  Too hot if you ask me!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Good morning one and all

May I extend belated but cordial greetings to Debs for what I hope will be a prolonged residency and to Andyram for a reappearance, brief but welcome.  The thought of his lurking black dog is less welcome but it is a sad fact that these things happen.  Welcome, too, to my new follower, 6959.  I’m not sure what I am supposed to do now – lead by example, I suppose?

The round trip of 300+ miles to Cardiff on Saturday left me wearier than I realised and yesterday was most unproductive as a result.  What seems to happen is that I summon up the necessary energy from somewhere – keep bu99ering on, if you like - and do not know how deeply depleted the reserves have become until afterwards.  It is not the first time I have done something like that and doubt that it will be the last.  While I can still do it, I will do it.

I sent the problematic one an e-greeting to mark his birthday yesterday.  His response was friendly, which was more than I had expected.  It seems that we may not be quite so near to the end of the road as I had feared a week ago.  Those could be famous last words: awaiting his pleasure for the past week or so has been a less than upbeat post from yours truly about the state of our friendship.  Only time will tell whether it can be saved.

Today’s chief job is making sense of my finances, again.  To do everything that needed to be done when I changed the car last week required abnormal flexibility and some mental agility that I’m not sure was there in the necessary quantities.  I’ll soon find out.  

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a somewhat overcast but still warm piece of France.   The house is quiet but I think that Beth is stirring.   We watched the last two part of Chernobyl last night.   Even allowing for some built in production hype it was an excellent watch.  Fortunately, due to an inspiring Chemistry teacher who had worked at Sellafield, I have some basic understanding of the background.   I even managed to acquire a few brownie points by completing a few bits of  domestic engineering.   Discussions over what tasks need to be completed in September have already begun.  Negotiations could take some time.

Anyway this morning I'm off shortly to let the very pleasant Veronique attend to my barnet.   When I get back there are some things to move from a friends house.   If the temperature gets to be as warm as it did yesterday some inspections of the pool interior may be needed.  

Great to see Gordon and Andy back among us.  I hope that Baz goes on OK at the quack's, and that things settle down for Chrisf.   Dave, I am getting worried that we haven't heard any news about The Toe recently.  The tree loppers are still on standby.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good morning from a somewhat overcast but still warm piece of France.   The house is quiet but I think that Beth is stirring.   We watched the last two part of Chernobyl last night.   Even allowing for some built in production hype it was an excellent watch.  Fortunately, due to an inspiring Chemistry teacher who had worked at Sellafield, I have some basic understanding of the background.

When I was a tech in a department at Strathclyde Uni there was a prof there who had worked at Dounreay. He used to regale us in the staff room with tales of missing plutonium (there was a strict accounting system to try to keep track of all of the stuff). Douglas was a really nice guy but unfortunately he succumbed to leukemia. I really don't know it that was in any way connected with his time at Dounreay but I have to wonder.

And on that cheery note, it's good night from him. Do try to keep the noise down. Some of us are trying to get some kip.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

The sun has just started to push through.

Laundry day today followed by dog feeding and a walk, must find someone to do a new will, try and clear some more from the garage.

The ex has started to remove share items from the house a texted list has been sent for there return I will see if it's theft. 

Tomorrow after dog feeding I will hot foot it over to a nearby park which has a café to meet a new friend I'm trying to reduce the miles 

travelled in pursuit of a new mate.

One thing I've not missed is getting the house and span every day I can go back to a routine cleaning as I go now the place has been sold.

Better get on enjoy your day :superman: T.Ierless :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Up here we have "Bridies" instead of pasties(same sort of ingredients), mostly made in and around Forfar, so obviously the inhabitants of that town are know as "Bridie munchers", though not all of them may know that lol.

Bridies? they'e available all over Scotland, we even had what was supposed to be  Bridies for school dinners in Inverness.

As for being the same as a pastie they're not. A Bridie is mince and onion,

A Proper Cornish pasty is

400 g  beef skirt, cut into cubes

300 g potato, peeled and diced

150 g swede/turnip*, peeled and diced

150 g onion, peeled and sliced

Salt & pepper to taste (2:1 ratio

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, AndyID said:

Every time I hear "Forfar" I can't help but remember how close it is to Kirriemuir.

Many thanks for all the good wishes on our anniversary (47th if you must know). I wasn't entirely sure what the appropriate gift for a 47th is supposed to be. I thought something 3-D printed might be appropriate. It seems I was wrong.

This 47 is appropriate:

image.png.18c15600e3a86b31e6e463497b507865.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

A very good nights sleep even if interupted by wake up and pull the duvet on or off..

Very misty on the way in, drive down onto the marshes, go into the mist, go up a bit the mist clears , go up even more to a high ground  (25ft) and the church is hidden in more mist..

Dad's been using his season ticket to hospital again, this time he has a lump in his chest, but he is too ill to operate, so they've given him some more painkillers... what they can Be I have no idea, he was already on morphine..

We are temporarily using the way through the old lab again till the contractors turn up, 90% of the framing for the new ceiling is up.

Much , moving of equipment around, so I can work on this weeks equipment means I've only just taken the first measurement.

Sandy should be OK with Bletchley park as the Brick huts are all on one level, The wooden ones however have a step to get in most of them.  Even the grounds do not have that much of a slope.

I've never been to the museum, that was set up after I moved out from living in Bletchley park (in the long 2 story white painted brick building..). One day I should get back to see what they've done to our old class rooms..

Actually this has taken a long time to type due to measurements

Time too... take the 5th measurement..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a bit of a misty start to the day but the sun is shining and I expect the mist will soon disappear. Sheila is getting ready for her manicure appointment and I’ll start painting the front door as soon as she’s gone, in the mean time I’ll remove the lock and letterbox etc ready to start. Hopefully I’ll get two top coats on today, I’ll then leave it until tomorrow to fit the new door furniture so that the paint can harden off overnight. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

i think GDB has been lucky that a contractor worked through the BH and in this weather, I would not have expected that in my experience. We saw LesMis at a London theatre. It was a very good production of a moving tale the background of which sadly seems timeless.

Gui (Short for Guilherme - Portugese for William) is a grafter and although very English his parents etc are Portuguese so I'm guessing that working in this heat is in his genes. However he doesn't stop for a siesta but does drink lots of tea and water.  After watching him for a couple of days I'd give him a job any time.

• Like 18

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings all from the borough of boring. 

Back to work after the 4 day weekend. Meh. Still no idea if I'm off to Berlin tomorrow or not. Summat is up as a pile of meetings have been cancelled or moved today and tomorrow. Who knows. It is like a headless poultry convention at the moment. 

Good to see AndyRam and Gordon back in the fold. Not much else to say. It's getting toasty in the office, so time to plunder the aircon from the bedroom for the next several hours. 

Enjoy the day. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

As for being the same as a pastie they're not. A Bridie is mince and onion,

A Proper Cornish pasty is

400 g  beef skirt, cut into cubes

300 g potato, peeled and diced

150 g swede/turnip*, peeled and diced

150 g onion, peeled and sliced

Salt & pepper to taste (2:1 ratio

I disagree.

This is a recipe for a pasty streaking, as there's no mention of the pastry.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 12