RMweb

Dapol HST

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I don't think there's much Dapol could do in this situation.

What I would say is that silver is about the easiest colour to spray, and a rectangular door is about the easiest shape to mask off (and with window too) so converting a gold-doored Mk3 to one with a silver door would be one of the simplest "respray" jobs possible, and would give you the accurate model you want!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

Guest 40-something

I agree with Ben, a simple mask and spray (or hand brush) will sort the door colour out, something I dont mind doing, though I can see where people are coming from in that they dont want to paint a brand new model.

Maybe Dapol will release silver door versions in the future if there is enough demand.

I must say I think that this revised GC livery is the best carried by the HST sets!

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Dapol will release silver door versions in the future if there is enough demand.

Highly unlikely, unless G.C. change their minds about their corporate image.

• RMweb Premium

Or take one tin of silver paint....

Or else the likes of Electra Graphics will produce vinyls or transfers to give the silver doors.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Post40-something, on 28 July 2011 - 10:52 , said:

Highly unlikely, unless G.C. change their minds about their corporate image.

Are GC buying these HSTs? If not, surely it should be the customer who is right?

Anyway, BR built them, so they should be blue/grey :laugh:

• RMweb Gold
Or else the likes of Electra Graphics will produce vinyls or transfers to give the silver doors.

I can't print in silversad.gif...can do some nice grey ones but it wouldn't be the same.

Just come back from an hour at Peterborough station and can confirm the TS doors are all still silver on GC HSTs (and 180s).

Got to admit that Dapol's GC HST is such a supremely good model that the gold doors do not bother me at all. Half an hour with a fine paintbrush and some silver paint is all that is needed.

Too modern for my own layout, anyway! I'm saving up for 86401biggrin.gif

Incidentally, I've ordered the 2 coaches to go with it, one of which is #42401, according to the retailer where I've ordered it from. Whilst these coaches haven't arrived yet (therefore there could be a problem with the item description), the standard class coach in the book set is definitely numbered 42401 so I think there might be a problem here.

Just to follow on from my comment above, the seperate coach described (and labelled) as #42401 is actually numbered as 42402 so all is well with the set.

I've just received my Executive book set in the post and whilst the power cars are very nice indeed, the coaches are in SWALLOW livery, so it'll have to go back.

There are 2 seperate coaches listed as being in Executive livery so I assumed this would be the case with the book set as well. This may be my mistake if Dapol have previously said that the Exec set comes with Swallow coaches but I haven't seen that anywhere.

Would be interested to know if others have the same problem?

I've just received my Executive book set in the post and whilst the power cars are very nice indeed, the coaches are in SWALLOW livery, so it'll have to go back.

There are 2 seperate coaches listed as being in Executive livery so I assumed this would be the case with the book set as well. This may be my mistake if Dapol have previously said that the Exec set comes with Swallow coaches but I haven't seen that anywhere.

All the photos I have seen show swallow branded Mk3s with this pack. While you did occationally see IC-E powercars with a IC swallow sets most people will probably want to run a cosistent liveried set.

I was going to get the Dapol HST in all the liveries but we now have the wrong class in B/G (253 instead of the much better :pleasantry: 254), the IC swallow version has the wrong number for the body and the IC-E has wrong coaches in them. The good news is I am £500 better off. The model is great though and I love my Virgin and GC sets.

Bomag, did you see any pictures of the set before release?

Just noticed something else as well - the set is listed as being 253028 but I don't think this is anywhere on the models. If I remember correctly, this should be on the cab fronts?

Bit gutted about this, I was really looking forward to a full set in Exec livery. I can always re-livery the coaches I suppose, I'll have to give it some thought.

Edit: further observation, albeit rather niggly, the coaches don't have swallows on the windows......

Just noticed something else as well - the set is listed as being 253028 but I don't think this is anywhere on the models. If I remember correctly, this should be on the cab fronts?

Set numbers stopped being shown on front ends in B/G livery.

Here are a couple of shots from the 125 group and neither have set numbers on the front:

http://www.125group....=display&pid=13

Some more here, showing power car numbers on the front:

http://www.railfaneu...HST/BR/pix.html

Don't understand the livery question either as it looks OK to me against prototype.

Mine too - thats how they come - . It would have been more appropriate for the coaches supplied to have 'Intercity 125' branding , and no orange cantrail stripe or central locking warning lights - but not the end of the world. Heres some piccies - although not my favorite livery - I think this one does the Dapol model the best justice.

Putting it alongside the Intercity version I cant really tell if theyre used the correct lighter 'Executive' grey or not . Does look nice though! Need a nice new class 50 to go with it!

post-6893-0-89142800-1312492451_thumb.jpg

post-6893-0-35447600-1312492469_thumb.jpg

post-6893-0-72516400-1312492597_thumb.jpg

tfn

Jon

• Like 1

The yellow should also be higher round the nose end because there should be a yellow area between the light cluster and the white stripe. Does this make the red/white at the rear of the power cars fractionally too low?

I'm a little dissappointed about the wrong coaches, I was hoping for a full executive livery set but I had noted that Dapol have not announced an executive livery buffet car although Hattons and Rails are showing 2 trailer second coaches in executive livery still to be released. At least these two coaches in the executive set mean I only need the TGS and buffet for a full swallow liveried rake now. :D

Overall, excellent, roll on the 26 and 56. But a 50 would be fab!

Mark

Hi All;

Looks like there are significant variations between the prototype paint job on this pic...

http://www.125group....=display&pid=13

and the model as depicted by Dapol.

Highlighted inconsistencies include the thickness of the white divider and its height placement.., the location of power car numbers on both sides, the size and positioning of the IC125 logo and the BR emblem. Going to make renumbering & naming difficult.

At this stage I do have to say that it is intensely difficult to get a straight line round the complex curve of the HST nose accurately... Lord knows I have tried!!!

Another shot here...http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/4276855838_40e75088be.jpg

I have to sympathise somewhat with Dapol over the decoration of HST power cars as it is a massive minefield....

I cannot however, explain the provision of Swallow coaches in an IC Exec labelled set.

I feel quite fortunate that this one is not on my radar.....

Just to dispel the 'Stu is bashing Dapol again' theory....I like the GC set and will probably get one of those despite the doors and yellow panel/stripe issues...I can live with those!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

Edited by Stu from EGDL
  • Like 1

Bomag, did you see any pictures of the set before release?

Bit gutted about this, I was really looking forward to a full set in Exec livery. I can always re-livery the coaches I suppose, I'll have to give it some thought.

Edit: further observation, albeit rather niggly, the coaches don't have swallows on the windows......

The power car are about the right numbers for set 028.

Only the first WR IC Executive sets had the set number applied. AFAIR the ER stopped putting the set numbers on when the exhaust manifold problems started to bite (1983 ish) and it was impossible to keep sets and power cas together. As there is less full power running for long periods on the WR I did not think they had such an issue and managed to keep them together. I cannot rememer when they started to put the power car number on the front but I think was fairly early for the ER ones. Therefore the numbers are correct for the majority of the time HSTs were in this livery.

It also has a benifit of the power cars not haveing a region specific number.

My 2p pence worth.

These are not my photos.

post-7858-0-62001600-1312562543_thumb.jpg

Photo by Steve Jone 29/04/87

post-7858-0-61810600-1312562547_thumb.jpg

Photo by Steven Dance 30/09/88

It would appear that executive power cars were hauling INTERCITY coaches in late '88.

I cant see any swallows but that is the maximun size of the pic.

My credit card might not be safe yet.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Another combination I saw on the WR regularly in the 80s were IC Executive power cars and blue/grey Mk3s. By then the power cars were overhauled on a different cycle from the carriages.

BTW Rails are advertising the ND111E Network Rail HST 43014/43062 for pre-order.

• RMweb Premium

I've been after a decent Intercity Executive HST ever since I started in N gauge about 12 years ago so I'm rather pleased Dapol have produced it in this livery. The book set does come with Swallow livery Mk3s which I sent a grumbly email to Dapol about.

However, as has been mentioned, the Mk3s were refurbished in the late 1980s. According to my Ian Allan combined volume from 1989 the two Mk3s that are in the box set were in Swallow livery. The power cars modelled were still in Execuive livery. Also, by that date the power cars had been named (43 056 Bradford University & 43057 Bounds Green). The TF and TS are listed as being allocated to different trainsets but I can live with that - I can't read the numbers when it's travelling past at 125mph!

Have Dapol produced the TF with black roof yet? I've got a couple of matching TS on order but haven't been able to find the extra TF I need.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Have Dapol produced the TF with black roof yet? I've got a couple of matching TS on order but haven't been able to find the extra TF I need.

Steven B.

Buy both the swallow and IC-E sets and the addition TS's and you get both TFs and all four TS's. Presumably Dapol will get round to producing the MK3 in IC-E, so spreading the cost! Well we live in hope.

• RMweb Gold

Of course you could go for swallow power cars and a mainly blue and grey set of Mk3s just to be different.

By the way, many sets on the ECML were "misformed" often for quite long periods of times, presumably when a coach was failed for some reason.

post-5613-0-94882600-1312728183_thumb.jpg

David