Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

With the start of the Footie World Cup now less than a fortnight away I thought I've have a rant about the England squad. I’m surprised we aren’t taking a lot of injured players – or perhaps we are – we usually do.

• In place of Stirling I’d have taken Ashley Barnes who scored eight goals in his last 9 games (or something like that) and doesn’t fall over at every tackle and certainly doesn’t constantly gets booked for simulation like Stirling. Plus he can head the ball. And what prat has a tattoo of a weapon that killed his father on his leg? Somehow I doubt it was an automatic assault riffle that did the deed and why would you want to celebrate such a thing anyway? Idiot. It demonstrates his poor decision making.
  • At left back cover I’d have taken Ryan Sessegnon (current England under 21 player) rather than the old carthorse Ashley Young who is now well past it. Sessegnon scored 15 goals last season from left back – how many did Ashley Young get?
  • And in place of the lightweight midfielder Jesse Lingard I’d have taken Jonjo Shelvey – he offers a lot more bite, can put his foot on the ball, spots and makes good forward passes that start attacks, and doesn’t shirk tackles.
Just my opinion. But having just got back from hospital and under orders to relax and rest for four weeks I'll be camping on my couch for convalescence and recouperation and watching just about all the games.

G

Sterling certainly has bags of talent, and a lot of pace, this season for city he's scored a fair amount iirc too. However, he has his problems, temperament and diving. There was a reason Liverpool took the money and got rid of him!

Young has experience I guess which could help the generally young squad, but yes others might have been better. no idea about lingard.

Mention was made of shelvy too, tough player, but too headstrong really to risk it.

It is a shame Robertson is Scottish (though to Scotland's gain of course)! And a shame oxlaid-chaimberlin is injured.

It looks like its going to cost me a small fortune to fill my Panini 2018 World Cup sticker book: :jester:

Certainly costs a lot more than this one did for me!

post-10122-0-84653800-1528971303_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-43811000-1528971304_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-04625200-1528971305_thumb.jpg

But just think what it the current Panini one might be worth in 48 years time!

• Like 4

Premiership Fixtures for 2018-2019

Season ends with....

Manchester United v Cardiff City

I predict a must win for Cardiff if we are to secure Champions League football the following season !

Let's see how long it takes for the predictable response ?

Our last 2 matches are away at Arsenal and home to Man City. Let's hope we're safe before that although last season our run in was Spurs, Burnley, Man U, Man City and Liverpool and we somehow survived and even got some points!

Points could also be scarce at the start as well next season with United, City, Spurs and Liverpool inside the first 7 matches. Still, it could be worse and it wasn't that many years ago the mighty Albion were looking at non league at best!

• RMweb Gold

Premier League fixtures are out for 2018-2019. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44479393

Make of it what you will. Some clubs have tough runs of fixtures.

Rob

We seem to have a well-balanced programme with no difficult runs. But we do seem to start most seasons with a newly-promoted club when they are at their keenest. So away at Molyneux not an ideal first.

• RMweb Premium

We have to play Liverpool.  And Man City.  And Man Utd - Twice !  What sort of fixture list is that ?

FWIW. Here's an example of a competition where clubs DO NOT play each other twice!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_AFL_season#Season_notes

It's the Australian Football League (Australian Rules).

FWIW. Here's an example of a competition where clubs DO NOT play each other twice!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_AFL_season#Season_notes

It's the Australian Football League (Australian Rules).

Think yourself lucky, in Scotland in order for the Old Firm to get maximum combat we have to play everyone four times, gets boring!

• RMweb Premium

Think yourself lucky, in Scotland in order for the Old Firm to get maximum combat we have to play everyone four times, gets boring!

Yes the SPL its a sad state of affairs, with it basically being a 'two horse race', since the earliest days. Has there ever been a season, where Rangers or Celtic didn't finish at least 2nd?

• RMweb Gold

Classic quote from the opening world cup game....

'Jerkoff needed a quicker release......"

Discuss....

Rob.

For the non-leaguers among us; Gainsborough Trinity relegated; for the first time since 1914-15, they have changed leagues by promotion/relegation.

On another note; Peanuts, is the new manager at Ice Station Zebra really Frankie Bunn?

Edited by 62613

• RMweb Gold

Discuss....

Rob.

Well, the match could do with some excitement.

Rather unfortunate scheduling to have the two lowest-ranked sides play each other for the first match.

Edit to add: 5-0 and some good goals from Russia. But KSA defended like a Sunday pub team.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Well, the match could do with some excitement.

Rather unfortunate scheduling to have the two lowest-ranked sides play each other for the first match.

On the other hand, better to get the "boring" stuff out of the way first.

I'm looking forward to Portugal v Spain.....

• RMweb Gold

Discuss....

Rob.

Also noted this gem from one of the commentators about one of the Ruskies who plays for Levante, which according to him is now a few hundred miles north-west in Madrid.

Why send someone who hasn't got a scooby about geography to a world cup?

Mike.

For the non-leaguers among us; Gainsborough Trinity relegated; for the first time since 1914-15, they have changed leagues by promotion/relegation.

On another note; Peanuts, is the new manager at Ice Station Zebra really Frankie Bunn?

yup rumours of a certain A Rhoads joining as his assistant from wendies also tricky ricky is promising to come over from the iom to run some clinicks with the squad on a monthly basis according to his facebook postings .think Bunn  can do the job IF he gets the right backing from lensgham  probably at age 55 his last chance to take a stab as management after years and years of assisting hopefully he has the pull we require for recruitment oldham athletic the circus club that keeps o giving