RMweb

Coachmann's coach thread.........

Coachman

After a bit of a break you seem to be back to full steam ahead again. Never thought a coach in BR carmine and cream could look so good. As usual superb bit of modelling and another on the way to keep us yearning for your next post.

How is the new workshop working out?

....... Returning from Blackpool with a skin full of ale guaranteed any lavatory composite in a train on non-corridor stock was very welcome indeed!......

I seem to remember long ago hearing the tale that there where no lavatories in one of the coaches, the only other recourse was the window,

one of the lads was there for a long time, when his mates asked why, he said he was wondering what to do with the mail bag.........

Coachmann, as always absolutely great models.

• RMweb Gold

Having built a good few out-of-course coaches over the past 9 months or so it is back to business with a new coach. This is the LMS D1686 Lavatory Composite, a Period I design built from 1926 - 29. I need a couple for Greenfield but the initial model has been finished in original full livery. Returning from Blackpool with a skin full of ale guaranteed any lavatory composite in a train on non-corridor stock was very welcome indeed!

The interior with side corridor from adjacent compartments to the first and third class toilets...

Although not apparent on the photos, the roof is grey but the part between the rainstrips and gutter is black.

I can't imagine how much patience you must have to paint something as amazing as this.! :paint:

I have been watching this thread since i joined this forum and the craftsmanship on these models is just fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm not convinced this excercise has produced a worthwhile LMS GUV when the same amount of time could have been spent building an accurate set of etched parts. But the model has entered the fleet in BR plain carmine red livery as a Derby built example with shell roof vents and clipped buffers.....

Two things I forgot to mention, I mislaid the handbrake wheels after dismantling the model but will sort it later, and the inside of the window openings were sprayed matt black to help disguise the thickness of the plastic.

Hi Coachmann, I'm attempting to make a Lima 42' GUV better myself but am a bit confused. I'm don't have much in the way of LMS references and loathe to question your good work. However, I'm confused about the roof vents. One of the few references I have is David Larkin's BR General Parcels Rolling Stock p.33 which has a pic of M37833M, one of the batch of 37800-37849 Lot 848 built at Derby. I was intending to use this as my reference for not having to change the roof vents as they look like torpedoes to me!

As a relative newbie I was hoping to change as little as possible so as not to have to keep re-doing the work as I'm bound muck some of it up!

• RMweb Premium

I've purchased job lots of wagons over the past 5 years and didnt even know i had this Lima LMS 42ft GUV...

It was mint condition and it measured up well against a drawing but there should be far more 'meat' between them and the roof. The only drawing I have is from the July 1964 Railway Modeller. It is wrong and it looks like Lima used it. Parts to discard were the BR bogies....

Another view of the new chassis. The body is also shown on the chassis with Bachmann LMS bogies.....

The moulded torpedo vents were cut off and replaced with MJT cast whitemetal LMS Shell vents....

The component parts are shown ready for spraying.......

To be continued...

Hello Coachmann,

More great coaches you've built. Can you tell me what is wrong on the RM drawing please?

Thanks,

Nig H

• 2 weeks later...

To complete the LMS D1686 lavatory composite saga, here are two in BR carmine red and BR maroon. Were these Period I coaches ever lined out in Carmine red days? I don't know, but one should never say never eh....

Close up of the side corridor to the toilet. The first Class window sticker can just be seen on the inner compartment window....

A really complete list of liveries should include:-

As built with 'LMS' in the middle and running numbers at each end.

1928 livery, still fully lined out but with LMS moved to LH end and number at RH end.

1933 renumbering, still lined out but with new number in plain block gold transfers.

1935 change to simple livery with horizontal lining only at waist and in cantrail.

1937 change to black ends and chrome yellow insignia.

1946 change to scroll type numbers and flat top 3's.

1948 change with LMS livery but running number with LMS style 'M' prefix.

1949 change to BR plain carmine red with Gil Sans running number at LH end and 'M' prefix

1952/3 change to running number at RH end with 'M' prefix and 'M' suffix.

1956 change to plain maroon.

This bit is about what to do with BR maroon ex LMS stock when you move the date back to 1953 and are looking for a simple option! Coaches repainted or built in 1948 would be in LMS livery but with BR markings. First job to add an extra yellow line below the gutter.

D2119 was one of a batch of corridor thirds built spanning 1947-8 so it would have carried LMS livery with LMS style insignia with 'M' prefix. I have done three coaches in this style.

LMS D1859 was a very early Stanier Period III corridor composite coach with shallow sliding window vents and non-standard wide windows in first class. It is finished as if it had received a repaint in 1948 with BR Gil Sans insigina 'M' prefix number at the left-hand end.

Its posts like these that make ones thread so essential Larry.

Priceless nuggets frankly.

Anymore wee gems about those early BR days will go down a storm...

Magic stuff! :sungum:

This bit is about what to do with BR maroon ex LMS stock when you move the date back to 1953 and are looking for a simple option! Coaches repainted or built in 1948 would be in LMS livery but with BR markings...

This reminds me that I've had a D1790 sitting here in primer waiting to be finished in this livery for the last year or so. I've two photos of the original in 1951 and whilst the non-driving end is clearly black, it's not really possible to tell whether the driving end is red or black though, if I were to guess, I would say it was red. Is it possible that the driving end would have still been painted in red?

Nick

Thanks, Larry. In that case, I'll go for the red driving end. Certainly the ex-LNWR M71 used on the Wells branch had black ends but the one photo showing the D1790 driving end just doesn't look dark enough for black.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

At post #567 (16th June) I showed how it was necessary to fit new doors to a pair of bought-in etched sides for an LMS D1946 open brake third. This coach is for a similar excursion rake that friend Dave Holt had built for his Delph Branch. I only got around to spraying the model last weekend and it is portrayed as fresh out of works with grey roof circa 1953. Provision was made on the bogies for fitting Bachmann couplings but if everything comes together alright I may yet adopt screw couplings.

These coaches were used on many a branchline tour in the 1950s and 60s. Shot in bright sunlight...

Lovely work as usual Larry. Are the gangway suspension fittings your own etchings?

Jonathan

Yes, they were based on the ones on Hornby Stanier coaches and etched on 22thou brass. They show on photos but don't stand out when viewing the actual models and so I wonder if the extra effort of fitting them is worthwhile.

Ahhh, But they would stand out if they were't there ....wouldn't they!

Khris

Yes, they were based on the ones on Hornby Stanier coaches and etched on 22thou brass. They show on photos but don't stand out when viewing the actual models and so I wonder if the extra effort of fitting them is worthwhile.

Oh I think so Coach...

I've never seen anyone critisise other etched brass coaches for not having suspended gangway brackets. The present ones are a nuisance to solder in place but I have a better design in my head now.

I have obviously misinterpreted what you mentioned .

I was talking of gangways as a whole..

Khris

• RMweb Premium

Coach

I have a set of Alistair Wrights etched LMS coach ends which have "built in" hangers (they are a two layer etch)I have never used them but they look good. If you want to see what they look like let me know and I will try and pm you with a photograph when I get back to my "real" home.

Barry

PS when are those nice shiny coaches getting a bit of inked weathering?

• 5 months later...

Archived