Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Gold

I'm told that all 6 are now laid up with ongoing faults/problems....is that right.??

Certainly 3 were idle at Basford Hall on Tuesday this week, Nos...3, 5 and 6. I saw them.

Bob.

Not quite Bob - they are laid up pending minor mods to the cab climate control and other minor issues, with Christmas and New Year no work has been done on them but expect them back next week

Not quite Bob - they are laid up pending minor mods to the cab climate control and other minor issues, with Christmas and New Year no work has been done on them but expect them back next week

Cheers Dave.......so nothing major then.

post-21-12622605354286_thumb.jpg

post-21-12622605477362_thumb.jpg

They sound every bit like their C44-9W cousin so thats no bad thing! Even the T motors sound the same.

That clip certainly depicted the GE whine, which I thought was the inverter for the AC traction motors on the US locos. Do the 70s have AC TMs ? If so they are the first production UK freight haulers with AC traction motors ?

That clip certainly depicted the GE whine, which I thought was the inverter for the AC traction motors on the US locos. Do the 70s have AC TMs ? If so they are the first production UK freight haulers with AC traction motors ?

I think that was 1 of the 1st things to be known about them when they were announced originally

I must be one of the few who actually likes the design of these. Yes, you can call me mad.

Sam

Hi Sam.....I was one of those who hated the look of them..............but having seen a few now, my view is definitley changing, they are growing me.

I'm told that all 6 are now laid up with ongoing faults/problems....is that right.??
I hear that a few of them are out and about again after their mods, can anyone confirm this....

According to the pre-delivery blurb, these first 6 locos are fitted with telemetry and their performance is being remotely monitored by the engineers back at the factory in Erie. Sort of operational test beds if you like.

I hear that a few of them are out and about again after their mods, can anyone confirm this and would anyone know if they are scheduled into the midlands anytime soon? Would love to get out and use the new camera.

70006 was on the Rugeley run yesterday, but no gen today so far. It was on 6M55 yesterday, which is into Rugeley luinch time-ish

HTH

cheers

jo

Does that trip work on Fridays Jo? Being lunchtime I'm stuck at work until Friday.

As far as I'm aware both 6M55 and 6Z70 (and their respective empties) can run every weekday. Not sure on weekends. As Dave has mentioned though, M55 is booked a shed, and dependant on availability can appear on this or Z70.

66606 currently working 002 & 005 on 0Z70, 11:10 Basford Hall to Stoke Gifford (booked arr 14:49) although currently running about an hour late.

Cheers

Craig

Sounds good Craig! So assuming 006 is staying down here, we'll have half the fleet operating out of Bristol, so hopefully they'll start appearing on more than just coal

cheers

jo

What time is 6M55 booked for at Rugeley? I'll catch it tomorrow if I can be it a shed or a 70. Found a nice little park in Hednesford at track level.

Oi you - gerorfff moi larnd !!!!

There are a few places down on the heath actually Dave, depending on light.

The spot I'd thought of is taking a shot off the footbridge just to the west of the line as it crosses over the M6T at Churchbridge (Cannock). It wouldn't be any good if the sun was out though.

Oi you - gerorfff moi larnd !!!!

There are a few places down on the heath actually Dave, depending on light.

The spot I'd thought of is taking a shot off the footbridge just to the west of the line as it crosses over the M6T at Churchbridge (Cannock). It wouldn't be any good if the sun was out though.

Thanks Phil, I'll wipe my feet first. I'm going for a scout around first starting up at Rugeley town, there seems to be a few spots that might be quite good just alongside the A460 between Rugeley and Hednesford. I'll have a look at Churchbridge too. Don't think I'll need to worry about the Sun.

70006 will be working the 6M55 today well its booked to at least

Thank you, thats good news. Now stills or video is the question.

I've found a copy of its working on the messroom site so I'll get there early with a large flask of Tea I reckon. 6M55 seems to have a habit of being a little late, from some of the comments/photos on fotopic.

Kind regards

Hi Dave

I saw my first at Rugeley Town a month or so back, and like you, it arrived a bit early, I missed it going in by 5 mins, then had to wait there nearly two hours for it to come back out.

Bob.

I'd hoped to catch it in the snow alongside the A460, I'd set up at the overbridge into the Chase enterprise park, just nipped back to the car and through it went. I'll try the town next time. I decided not to wait too cold.? 

I think I know where you mean....thats just down from those fishing pools.

No....I dont fish.!!!! But there used to be a Butty Van parked up there a few years back, when out on business I used to drop in occasionally for a whopping bacon and egg butty. :icon_redface:

That was about 10 yrs ago now.........long gone I suspect.

No more snow now though eh.??

Bob