Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Gold

Passenger debut.

Acton Bridge

17 April 2010

70003 and 66154 on 1Z66, 04:54, Swindon - Leeds - fist passenger working for a 70 (Pathfinder, The Yorkshire Pullman)

post-6662-12715886499_thumb.jpg

The sun was in almost the worst possible position but I wanted to get it at Acton Bridge, a Cheshire Railway moment

Passenger debut.

Acton Bridge

17 April 2010

70003 and 66154 on 1Z66, 04:54, Swindon - Leeds - fist passenger working for a 70 (Pathfinder, The Yorkshire Pullman)

Unusual to mix haulage companies on a railtour? Is there a particular reason for pairing a DBS 66 with the 70 rather than a Freightliner 66?

• Like 1

The DB 66 brought the tour up into Crewe where the 70 joined. It was probably left on for insurance giving the reputation of the 70's at the moment! If i'm correct??

Danny

But that surely requires two complete sets of train crew for the duration of the tour (ie added cost). Even if it's there for insurance purposes, I'd imagine that DBS aren't likely to let Freightliner drivers drive their loco are they?

It also needs to be considered that traincrews need route knowledge of the journey they are taking. I have seen tours beofore with a DBS 66 at one end and a FL 66 at the other. This may need 2 traincrews yes, but i am unsure whether DB Schenker specify it has to be one of their crew on their locos as most if not all FL drivers sign 66's.

Danny

The train was run under DBS's safety case, FL drivers drive DBS locos, and vice versa, it was not there for insurance purposes, just for positioning!

The 70s are now putting some creditable mileages, and the running in problems are now being sorted and are fast becoming reliable and competant machines.

R

• RMweb Premium

70005 carried out another first for the class today by working the first revenue earning trip of the class in Scotland, working 6G05 Ravenstruther to Longannet and 4C07 empty return, I managed to grab a few pics when out on my travels today!

First one is the loaded train approaching Mossend,

post-291-127177313732_thumb.jpg

The second is the empties passing Larbert on their return,

post-291-12717731598_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

70005 carried out another first for the class today by working the first revenue earning trip of the class in Scotland, working 6G05 Ravenstruther to Longannet and 4C07 empty return, I managed to grab a few pics when out on my travels today!

First one is the loaded train approaching Mossend,

post-291-127177313732_thumb.jpg

The second is the empties passing Larbert on their return,

post-291-12717731598_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

Hi craig thanks for the pics. It was great to see a 70 on the sak line. Well worth skivin off the work to go see it anyway lol cheer's

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps the failures are due to them using an Austrian Jenbacher engine that was designed to run on natural gas with spark ignition and a lower compression ratio than a diesel engine. A friend of mine has worked on jenbacher engines used for genrating electricity on landfill sites and says that they were very lightly constructed compared to American (mainly caterpillar engines). If they are now running at higher compression ratios and subject to flexing in the very demanding rail traction environment then they probably will run into crankcase problems.

Jamie

Jamie 92208

Alas you are misinformed, the Jenbacher engine, was actually designed originally as a diesel/gas oil engine, and not a "Gas" propelled engine.

There is also less flexing within a locomotive with a substanial framing than you think, rail veicles seldom see the stresses in the frames that you would expect in a piece of mobile plant, the stresses being more longitudinal rather than tortional.

Theres been a lot of bad press in reference to these locomotives/engine by those who are ill informed im afraid, the 70 is a very impressive machine, ok not the best looking, but the performances they are starting to acheive are excellent.

Give the loco some time, theres always niggly faults, remember this is a completely new piece of traction for the UK, the 66s had their problems too in the early days, so did the 58s and 60s!

R

• RMweb Premium

There is also less flexing within a locomotive with a substanial framing than you think, rail veicles seldom see the stresses in the frames that you would expect in a piece of mobile plant, the stresses being more longitudinal rather than tortional.

A big problem for rail traction usage is the thermal stress created as the engine is cycled between idle and full power over relatively short time periods creating short term heat build up and decay.

This was a huge problem for the Valenta in the HST as well as general over-heating in high summer temperatures. I have read that the HST is the most arduous usage of any diesel engine in the world!

The Mirlees in the 60 suffered this way until someone realised that the cylinder heads weren't actually tightened down to the required spec.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

First one down the North Wales coast

70002 on a ballast from Penmaenmawr - ta to Nick for the tip off.

Dundas Sidings (Sandycroft) site - 27 April 2010

6L56, Penmaenmawr - Chesterton Junction

70 replaced by a 66/5 at Crewe.

post-6662-127240087206_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing that pic Dave, interesting to see them spreading their wings, and getting on more that coal and containers!

looking at craig's second picture...do I spy the first damaged 70, the cab front door thingy seems to be missing... laugh.gif

Looks to me like it's open, if you look at the inner face of the driver's side cab front protrusion it looks like the inside of the door. Assume its the multiple socket under here, like on a 60

cheers

jo

Its cool Jo, I didn't know how to say it...look on the brightside, I spent 15 minutes today trying to work out why the NRN wasn't working...word to the wise - log in to the LOCAL (not highlands) area code...

I guess it could be some kind of isolating cock, I can't see that much else would be there...

• RMweb Premium

70004 made the class debut over the S&C today with 6M32 Killoch-Ratcliffe. It's rumoured to be on this for the rest of the week and the corresponding northbound run. An observer remarked that it was going better than a 66 southbound at Kirkby Stephen

Cheers,

Mick

....Also have they started building the next batch?

The next batch of six are supposed to be delivered in the Autumn or early Winter this year, according to press reports from a few months back.

Those reports also said that due to the recession and fall in demand, the remainder of the order has now been deferred to a future date, yet to be decided. So if the next six are delivered at the end of 2010, we may not see any more for some time.

p.s. the original order was for 30 locos.