Next batch of Class 70's

Same area, but the working doesn't touch the WCML, it comes up through Rugeley town station and runs round in the power station

cheers

jo

Whilst i wouldn't disagree with this in general, i took the car for its MOT in Rugeley today, had a quick scoot by the power station and saw 70003+ a 66 reversing its coal train into the P.S, this is usually the way trains from the WCML access the power station. I'd say this is a bit confusing,as why would a train from the south (portbury?) arrive from this direction? anyone know, unless the train had run from somewhere else, a few years ago trains from hull or immingham or Ayrshire could sometimes arrive via the WCML, resulting in a few run rounds and propelling movements, this stopped when there was a derailment though i think. If they've got engine probs i'm glad i've managed to see 'em while they're still running :blink:

Chris

On Thursday evening this week, I was returning from Cardiff to Crewe, arriving about 9.15pm, when lineside at Gresty Road, just before the DRS depot on the opposite side, there was a class 70 loco in the sidings, being attended to by 4 fire engines. There didnt seem to be a fire, whatever the emergency, it did seem to have been towards the end of it.

Anyone any news.????

Bob.

Whilst i wouldn't disagree with this in general, i took the car for its MOT in Rugeley today, had a quick scoot by the power station and saw 70003+ a 66 reversing its coal train into the P.S, this is usually the way trains from the WCML access the power station. I'd say this is a bit confusing,as why would a train from the south (portbury?) arrive from this direction? anyone know, unless the train had run from somewhere else, a few years ago trains from hull or immingham or Ayrshire could sometimes arrive via the WCML, resulting in a few run rounds and propelling movements, this stopped when there was a derailment though i think. If they've got engine probs i'm glad i've managed to see 'em while they're still running blink.gif

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've got to admit I don't know the Rugeley area very well, but I've not seen any mention on timing lists or gen reports of anywhere on the WCML, but yesterday came across a photo of one working through Stafford with an FLHH coal train, which really threw me! I'm trying to work out what actually goes on with these workings.

cheers

jo

They are trying to keep them away from any major mainline due to thier current failure rates. It seems most of their outings now they are accompanied by a 66 just in case.

And 4 fire engines.!!!!!!!!!!

There isn't much good news coming in about these new locos.

One would hope they'll iron out the bugs and fix the problems, but if it's really bad I wonder what will happen next.

After these initial six locos, the next batch are due to arrive towards the end of this year, but the rest of the order has already been deferred indefinitely due to the downturn in traffic.

Could Freightliner cut their losses and cancel the lot?

Sometimes for no apparent reason they route the 6M55 Avonmouth-Rugeley PS via Crewe rather than the usual route across through Telford-Wolverhampton-Cannock Chase. I have known this to happen on at least two occassions. Using the Crewe route usually means a later arrival at Rugeley.

Here are some shots of various 70's

70003 near Slitting Mill Rugeley

70006 near Stableford

70006 at Rugeley Town Station

70001 at Saltley

• RMweb Gold

There isn't much good news coming in about these new locos.

One would hope they'll iron out the bugs and fix the problems, but if it's really bad I wonder what will happen next.

Probably something similar to what happened with some BR diesels - where at one stage they were officially being described as 'suffering teething problems' then, with no obvious gap in between, they were described as 'suffering age related defects and difficulty in obtaining replacement components from the manufacturer'

Understand from a trusted source that three of the six 70s are currently out of service with crankcase problems.

Not that trusted then as on the 11/03/10

70003 was out on the 6M55 Avonmouth-Rugeley

70005 was working ellesmere port-Fiddlers Ferry Diagram having replaced 70004 which ran light engine from warrington to Crewe Basford Hall having exchanged with 70005

Today 13/03/10

70005 is currently working the fiddlers-ellesmere circuit

and with the exception of 001 (Showing X) all are showing as normal(N) on the trusted computer system. so it looks like your source is well wrong

16/03/10

70003 worked the Stoke Gifford-Avonmouth-Rugeley Circuit this morning returning to Stoke Gifford as 4Z70.

70004 is on the Ellesmere Port-Fiddlers Ferry-Ellesmere Circuit

70006 is on the Avonmouth -Rugeley-return 6M55

and even more impressive 70005 is on its way to Stud Farm with a ballast train. Returning later on this evening to Crewe Basford Hall

• RMweb Gold

16/03/10

70004 is on the Ellesmere Port-Fiddlers Ferry-Ellesmere Circuit

Earlier today ...

70004 on 6F02, 12:07, Ellesmere Port Manisty Wharf - Fiddlers Ferry Power Station loaded HXAs at Ellesmere Port station

post-6662-126875800614_thumb.jpg

I thought these monsters were supposed to have "Green credentials" - lower fuel consumption, less emissions and less noise ?

Look at the muck coming out of that one !!! :O :icon_e_surprised: :wacko:

Looks like the only thing green about them is the colour !

I thought these monsters were supposed to have "Green credentials" - lower fuel consumption, less emissions and less noise ?

Look at the muck coming out of that one !!! :O :icon_e_surprised: :wacko:

Looks like the only thing green about them is the colour !

That's nowt. You should have seen 70001 when it was at Lawley Street just before it ran up to midland road. Thought they had a class 17 in the yard. There was so much clag rising from the exhaust.

• RMweb Premium

That's nowt. You should have seen 70001 when it was at Lawley Street just before it ran up to midland road. Thought they had a class 17 in the yard. There was so much clag rising from the exhaust.

IIRC the American GE's are pretty well known for some interesting exhaust emissions. Look on YouTube and http://www.rail-videos.net/ and you will find various examples on US railroads chucking out clag, smoke, fumes, flames, surplus engine parts, etc...

IIRC the American GE's are pretty well known for some interesting exhaust emissions. Look on YouTube and http://www.rail-videos.net/ and you will find various examples on US railroads chucking out clag, smoke, fumes, flames, surplus engine parts, etc...

Would these particular PowerHaul series locos be different as they have an Austrian designed Jenbacher engine as opposed to the American GE engines more commonly used in US locos?

• 3 weeks later...