Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Premium

p.s. the original order was for 30 locos.

I have seen conflicting reports on this matter. Some say that the order was only for twelve in two batches of six with an option to order more taking the numbers up to thirty but that nothing on those extras had been signed or agreed. Presumably there is a line in the order for the first twelve that Freightliner can take up that offers a nice healthy returning customer discount of some kind.

I am wondering how much GE have discounted the selling price on the 70's to get the business and a foothold in the UK/European market? If they can get them to work well (and there are signs that the inevitable teething troubles are now starting to be ironed out) then once the global economy recovers, GE will be in a strong position to sell more across the continent.

By the way, anyone know when we can expect to see one of these head down south sometime?

I have seen conflicting reports on this matter. Some say that the order was only for twelve in two batches of six with an option to order more taking the numbers up to thirty but that nothing on those extras had been signed or agreed.

From Freightliner.

Date: 26 November 2007 A new beginning

Freightliner Group Ltd has placed an order for 30 freight locomotives of a new design

From GE.

Erie, Pa., U.S.A. (Oct. 7, 2009) - GE Transportation announced today the shipment of the first two of its newest global-class PowerHaul Series freight locomotives to its customer Freightliner Group Ltd in the United Kingdom. The PowerHaul Series locomotive represents GE Transportation's first entry to the U.K. and European marketplace.

These two locomotives are the first of a 30-unit order placed in November 2007 by UK-based Freightliner.

But the press releases don't prove it beyond doubt, the headline order of 30 is much more striking and newsworthy than "12 ordered with an option for 18 more". The UK government are experts in grandstanding headlines that don't give the full story ... I assume you'd need to go back to the actual contract to find out what really was the case.

By the way, anyone know when we can expect to see one of these head down south sometime?

Depends on your definition of "Down South" I guess - one has been working Felixstowe-Lawley St (via London) workings pretty regularly over the past months.

But the press releases don't prove it beyond doubt, the headline order of 30 is much more striking and newsworthy than "12 ordered with an option for 18 more".

I agree.

However out of all news reports, quotations and press releases, I don't recall them mentioning an order plus options.

All I know is they're supposed to have postponed further (already scheduled) deliveries TFN.

Guest Digital

First one down the North Wales coast

70002 on a ballast from Penmaenmawr - ta to Nick for the tip off.

Dundas Sidings (Sandycroft) site - 27 April 2010

6L56, Penmaenmawr - Chesterton Junction

70 replaced by a 66/5 at Crewe.

post-6662-127240087206_thumb.jpg

I was further up the line at Mostyn

John

But the press releases don't prove it beyond doubt, the headline order of 30 is much more striking and newsworthy than "12 ordered with an option for 18 more". The UK government are experts in grandstanding headlines that don't give the full story ... I assume you'd need to go back to the actual contract to find out what really was the case.

There really is nothing sinister about this story, it is exactly as Freightliner and GE said in their press relases when the contract was signed. This is an order for 30 locomotives. What isn't set in stone is the delivery schedule, and Freightliner intends to take batches of locomotives from GE as and when it needs them. While freight is in the doldrums and surplus sheds are being packed off to Poland, the last thing Freightliner needs is another boatload of 70s.

Went pop near Haltwhistle between Newcastle and Carlisle on the empties. Dragged to Midland Road by a shed.

There will be more trials both north and south of the border for a few weeks. Need to familiarise the Crews at various depots. So it looks like more maybe on the way.

• RMweb Premium

Went pop near Haltwhistle between Newcastle and Carlisle on the empties. Dragged to Midland Road by a shed.

There will be more trials both north and south of the border for a few weeks. Need to familiarise the Crews at various depots. So it looks like more maybe on the way.

More S&C trips including Chalmesrton-Fidlers via Blackburn (and past my back door.........)

Seen and heard my first one today - going better than a 66 on a 1in100 greasy rail with 19 HHA in tow.

Cheers,

Mick

More S&C trips including Chalmesrton-Fidlers via Blackburn (and past my back door.........)

Seen and heard my first one today - going better than a 66 on a 1in100 greasy rail with 19 HHA in tow.

Cheers,

Mick

Any times for this diagram Mick? - Bamber Bridge if possible - Thanks.

The ridges onthe light clusters are an anti climb device to prevent the wagons riding up and onto the loco in the event of a collision. However for them to work surely the wagons too must be fitted with anti climb devices?

It's not to stop the wagons over-riding, it's to stop a second Class 70 from over-riding when double-heading or crashing head-on at low speed; nothing else is fitted with them at that height. In other words, they're to mitigate the most unlikely of events (one would hope that the ordianry buffers deal with any shunting incidents around depots!).

• 3 weeks later...

Spotted 70002 in Kingmoor down yard again today at 5.10pm as i was going home , is this a regular working ?? .

Off subject now, there was a GBRF 66 on the same road for a few days at the end of last week , don't think i've seen one of those up here B4 .

Stewart .

• 6 months later...