Dapol announce Western in 'N' and 'OO' and 'N'gauge Hall class

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

"I like the idea of weathered late 1970s versions, and as Nidge has said D1065 in particular was in a shocking state and instantly recognisable, but D1041 came close too.

Neil"

The locos may have been in a shocking external state but that belied the mechanics! What was the mileage for 1041 without works attention before it finally succumbed? Wasn't it something like 1.4 million? Although I guess thank to Laira's ministrations was probably like my grandfathers broom - as good as new but several engine and transmission swaps in lieu of handles and heads.

Heres hoping for models that can emulate that!

Phil

Morning Phil,

IIRC D1041 went without any attention from Swindon for about seven years, before finally biting the dust in early '77! Those Laira chappies knew a thing or two when it came to keeping the Westerns going, against the odds in many cases.

Nidge

Hopefully someone will put me right if this has been answered elsewhere but I am still keen to find an answer to my question at the beginning of the thread

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:45

Dapol Dave,

Can I ask how close these pantographs are to the end product, given the previous thread which showed some CAD images and which was asking for some feedback?

RgdsMark

• RMweb Gold

Morning Phil,

IIRC D1041 went without any attention from Swindon for about seven years, before finally biting the dust in early '77! Those Laira chappies knew a thing or two when it came to keeping the Westerns going, against the odds in many cases.

Nidge

The big advantage of the hydraulics helped too Nidge - easy to swap almost any of the major components at the larger WR and all you needed was a stock of suitable spares or stuff suitable for reconditioning/repair. Once supplies from Swindon dried up then it was a case of robbing anything suitable from withdrawn locos or putting it right on the depot with the 'whatever it was' taken out of the loco if necessary. Not so easy to lift engines out of large diesel electrics at depot level or repair generators etc but easy-peasy to lift an engine and gearboxes etc out of a 'thousand'.

Hi Mark,

the pantographs (in n gauge) have cleared design and tooling stage and are currently in the 2nd EP stage where the detail gets added.

I have 2 here sitting on top of a couple of 86 bogies that will be sent today to ModelRail for their whats new section.

the OO gauge ones will be another 2 -3 months and be released with the wires.

hope this helps.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

wires for the pantographs? not sure what you meant, but to clarify they are the wires for the masts.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Many thanks for the clarification. Yippeee! :D

I was hoping that the wires were for the masts but was becoming a bit concerned in recent months that progress with these had gone quiet, also that the 2011 pdf version of the catalogue doesn't appear to contain any details or info regarding the wires. Hence when I saw your post mentioning wires in the same sentence as the pantograph news, I thought it may have been connected with them in some way. Am just a bit surpised that this very good news is slipping under the radar, with no mention of it in the 2011 announcements or catalogue.

Any clues as to the lengths of the wires as I currently have 150 of the Mk 3 masts ready to install with plenty more on my to-buy list, will they be the same lengths as on the FAQ section of the Dapol www, ie. 670, 402.5, 335, 200, 174, 152 and 135mm intervals?

Look forward to masting, wiring and re-pantographing this year! :)

Hi Mark,

the pantographs (in n gauge) have cleared design and tooling stage and are currently in the 2nd EP stage where the detail gets added.

I have 2 here sitting on top of a couple of 86 bogies that will be sent today to ModelRail for their whats new section.

the OO gauge ones will be another 2 -3 months and be released with the wires.

hope this helps.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Cheers Dave.

I'll be having some of these for my N 86's and a few spare too.

Rgds

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Dave, when you first released this thread it was noticed that the Names and numbers for the Hall's were incorrect, have the correct ones been released yet?

Dave, when you first released this thread it was noticed that the Names and numbers for the Hall's were incorrect, have the correct ones been released yet?

I'd also like to find out the correct names for the Halls!

Also Dave, are you looking at producing some of the preserved Halls? Locos like Hagley, Kinlet, Rood Ashton, Burton Agnes and Foremark Hall are all well known, and i'd imagine fairly popular choices!

I have a habit of choosing locos that are relevant to me, so i'd love to see some of the preserved examples made available as i've copped and cabbed quite a few of them!

Regardless, looking forward to all the new stuff coming out this year...

Also Dave, are you looking at producing some of the preserved Halls? Locos like Hagley, Kinlet, Rood Ashton, Burton Agnes and Foremark Hall are all well known, and i'd imagine fairly popular choices!

Osborns have comissioned a limited edition Hinderton Hall so that is one option if you want a preserved loco without renumbering.

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/nd-osb2-Dapol-hall-class---hinderton-hall-5900-12307-p.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DSCN2341-5900-hinderton-hall_1200x900.jpg

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

As I have 2 of the old GF Halls which have been modified and detailed I was not, at first, intending to splash out on another one. However, having looked at the specification I think the plastic is going to have an airing. :angry:

I had been hoping for either an N Gauge ROD 2-8-0 or a Sentinel shunter but they are, it would seem, not to be so it's back to the kit build ones I'm afraid. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Note quite right I think Neil. The original safety catches were pear drop in shape and at some stage had been painted red to improve their visibility. As Nidge pointed out, following the Longfield derailment the red pear drop catches were replaced by rectangular section steel bar 6 inches long and painted yellow and these were provided with stops (also usually painted yellow) which prevented them being opened any further than was necessary to open the door while a stop on the door prevented them from being swung the other way.

The door catches themselves were not altered as they were - and continued to be - internal and operated by carriage key from the outside.

These revised safety clips are known as 'Talisman clips'.

It wasn't there when they were first built, neither did the RH most grille hinge; it was originally fixed like the others. I assume these changes were made to make maintainance easier. Both alterations show in this picture of Western Prince. It also shows the altered lamp bracket to take BR standard lamps instead of the side-mounted WR ones.

Correct, the rectangular hatch was a later addition to allow easier access the the brush gear of the small compressor and hence is only on one side of the loco. Another way to tell the 'A' end of a Western when viewed from the other side of the loco to that pictured of Western Prince is a small horizontal rectangular access cut out at the one end of the centre skirt closest to the secondmans side. This is the battery charging / shore supply point and loco / depot switch.

• 3 weeks later...

At last, does nobody read Adrian Curtis's books - if you did this thread would have been a waste of time. compressor hatch for access to them is correct. 'B' end only. Appeared in all in the Western books by Adrian Curtis and in the Western Collection...come on chaps, get to grips with it.

As for the battery box doors, again, read AC's books...WR control told WR depots to change the original pear drop design to the new design asap after Talisman came off the rails on Dec 19, 1973...Curtis even produces archive stuff detailing the modification number and the size of the new clips, we must read up chaps!

• RMweb Gold

As for the battery box doors, again, read AC's books...WR control told WR depots to change the original pear drop design to the new design asap after Talisman came off the rails on Dec 19, 1973...Curtis even produces archive stuff detailing the modification number and the size of the new clips, we must read up chaps!

I'm fascinated to learn that Control apparently issued M&EE Instructions when M&EE had telephones of their own.

Dapol's recent diesel and electric locos have used the Kato style metal pinpoint cup bearings, hence low-friction. Because the outer wheels on a Western are exposed they obviously can't do this though. I suspect just the centre axles will have this arrangement, hence 'partial low-friction'.

• RMweb Gold

Dapol's recent diesel and electric locos have used the Kato style metal pinpoint cup bearings, hence low-friction. Because the outer wheels on a Western are exposed they obviously can't do this though. I suspect just the centre axles will have this arrangement, hence 'partial low-friction'.

Oh heck, I do hope they're not going to put outside bearings on the centre axles of 'the most accurate ..etc .. yet'blink.gifrolleyes.gif

Archived