Dapol announce Western in 'N' and 'OO' and 'N'gauge Hall class

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Only if they deliver........................ :huh:

That has to be a very real question. Kernow's Beattie well tank is running several months late and looks like it will be around 6 months late when it reaches customers although the wait appears as if it will have been well worth it. The D63XX has also been delayed - albeit for several reasons, the largest of which could hardly have been foreseen, but it looks as if it will be really delivering the goods (visually at least and hopefully of course in every respect) when it arrives. With other commissions underway it's conceivable that the D10XX could well slip. However it seems Dapol have several different suppliers in China so projects could more easily run in parallel apart from the development workload - which must be considerable for Dapol Dave and his colleagues.

Anyway slippage on one might well help my cash flow with the overall list of goodies already promised for this year so a few months delay doesn't worry me at all.

Pricing has been released for N gauge, I assume also for OO

N gauge

Hall RRP £107.95

Western RRP £104.95

Class 26 RRP £94.95

Class 56 RRP £104.95

Class 121 RRP £102.59

Class 142 RRP £104.95 (powered) - £54.95 (unpowered)

RRP prices taken from Kernow model centre's website. I'm sure other sites will have similar prices to Kernow.

The RRP for the Hall is similar to the B1 so expect in-shop prices to be comparable too. Most of the prices look OK for current-spec models.

The only one that stands out is the 121. I know that there is no reason it should cost less than a diesel loco. I just cannot help but wonder how it will stand up to the Farish 1st gen DMUs where a similar outlay can get you a 2 or even 3 car unit.

Apparantly in real life, somebody is trying to convert a Hall to a Saint...

It is the Great Western Society at Didcot.

Below is some info from their website.

Luke

+++++++++++++++

The Saint Project - 2999 “Lady of Legendâ€

This project involves the conversion of GWR Locomotive No 4942 “Maindy Hall†into Saint Class Locomotive No 2999.

The 29XX or Saint Class of locomotives was introduced in the first decade of the 20th Century by George Jackson Churchward. The Saints displayed many excellent features in their design which profoundly influenced the design of all subsequent successful locomotives built for British railways until the end of steam operations in the 1960s. A total of 76 were built.

The Saint Class were withdrawn between 1931 and 1953. However by the early 1920s a great potential existed for a large mixed traffic locomotive which could work any type of train from an express passenger to a slow goods. Churchward's successor, Charles Collett, decided to rebuild a Saint Class locomotive No 2925 “Saint Martin†with smaller 6'0" diameter driving wheels and a more enclosed cab in 1924. This rebuild formed the prototype of the highly successful Hall Class locomotives, of which a further 329 were built between 1928 and 1950.

The Great Western Society is reversing history and recreating a Saint Class locomotive by rebuilding a Hall Class locomotive No 4942 “Maindy Hall†back to a Saint, just as it would have been around 1913.

Based on one of the first batches of Saints, it will feature straight footplating, correct type cylinders with inside steam pipes and lever reverse. Top feed will be retained due to its major benefits.

Obviously such a project will be expensive and we can only give a brief overview. If you would like further information on the project or feel that you could support Saint Project by making a donation or regular monthly contributions, or joining the regular working parties, please contact: Richard Croucher, Great Western Society, Didcot Railway Centre, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 7NJ, England.

Tel: +44 (0) 1235 817200 or e-mail info@didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk

• RMweb Gold

....but possibly a useful guide for the wallet-recovery-plan B)

absolutely...the Blue 121 coming 4th quarter means it will be written off in the family accounts as end of 2011 expenditure ;)...its just those Blue 26's I need to account for now :rolleyes: ...

The Star is part of the chain that leads to the King, via the Castle. Now, turning a Hall into a County would be relatively easy. (Or, you could possibly turn a B1 into the alternative County proposal. The one with Walschaerts valve gear)

But yes, for a Star, I'd be waiting for a Castle or King, I think. As for Hall to Saint, the main differences are the larger wheels and the older cab. (Tender to one side). Whether they would have attached a different tender to it if had lasted longer... Apparantly in real life, somebody is trying to convert a Hall to a Saint...

I haven't looked this up so purely from memory, but I've always seen the Star as a halfway house between a Saint and a Castle. 4 Cylinder, but with the smaller boiler and Churchward cab, where as the Castle employs a larger boiler and the later Collet Cab. I guess it's a problem with GW locos that because the real things tended to be a collection of common parts, you think that it's just a simple in model form to take the boiler from this, the chassis from this etc

I haven't looked this up so purely from memory, but I've always seen the Star as a halfway house between a Saint and a Castle. 4 Cylinder, but with the smaller boiler and Churchward cab, where as the Castle employs a larger boiler and the later Collet Cab.

That's not too unfair an assessment. After all the Saint came first. (And you just know that if I ever have one running on my layout, it will be called Simon Templar. :)) And was pretty much ground breaking. It all depends, I suppose on whether you see things as two separate stems, or one stem that splits into Star-Castle-King, and Hall-County, with Saint holding them together...

Just as an aside, There were plans for enlarged versions of the Star, Saint, and 28xx classes - with No 7 boilers...

I guess it's a problem with GW locos that because the real things tended to be a collection of common parts, you think that it's just a simple in model form to take the boiler from this, the chassis from this etc

To be fair, that's pretty much what I'm doing - or planning to do - with turning a Manor into a Grange, and I'm sure that's how some of their engineers thought as well...

Must admit the prices are making me more and more likely to keep the kit built 121s I have made. Doubly so if I may have a Western to budget for as well as the 142 !

Western may depend whether there is a sane way to fit sound. They do seem to like to get as much motor and weight in as they can while Farish leave a few gaps.

Alan

Alan, think you are right. I am being quite conservative now in buying for 'the collection'.

Theres quite a few loco's I fancy, especially the Bachy 0-8-0's, the sSchools, T9's, new L1's but no longer see them as spur of the moment purchases.

Gettting on for a ton (or more) a pop, they are now serious purchases, and only bought if really 'essential'!

Pricing has been released for N gauge, I assume also for OO

N gauge

Hall RRP £107.95

Western RRP £104.95

Class 26 RRP £94.95

Class 56 RRP £104.95

Class 121 RRP £102.59

Class 142 RRP £104.95 (powered) - £54.95 (unpowered)

RRP prices taken from Kernow model centre's website. I'm sure other sites will have similar prices to Kernow.

Hi

The class 142 price this is retail price because if it is then shop can low the price down and also I notice it say class 142 - regional railways / northern rail: 2nd quarter what do 2nd quarter mean does they mean it coming out in April to July or not.

Hi

The class 142 price this is retail price because if it is then shop can low the price down and also I notice it say class 142 - regional railways / northern rail: 2nd quarter what do 2nd quarter mean does they mean it coming out in April to July or not.

Kernow are already advertising every product on that list at less than RRP (I presume as a pre-order price).

2nd Quarter means 2nd Quarter of the year... Jan - Mar is 1st Quarter, Apr - Jun is 2nd Quarter, Jul - Sep is 3rd Quarter and Oct - Dec is 4th Quarter.,

Dapol class 52 press release.

Hi everyone, please note the release below, it covers everything i think Dapol need to say on the issue. However, although there will obviously be speculation, i will not be answering anything on the situation that arose, but will of course answer any questions about the model if i can.

Thanks to all the support who have written to me privately by the way.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Press release 18.01.11

Due to an unforseen snag in aquiring the cad/cam's for the class 52 locomotive, we have decided to 'go our own way' and get the real locomotive laser scanned within 7 days. This will enable us to produce a quality model based on the real thing and iron out some detail innaccuracy that has been noticed in other models of this class of locomotive.

Therefore we are back on schedule to produce both these locomotives within 2011.

Therefore we are back on schedule to produce both these locomotives within 2011.

Thanks for clearing this up for us Dave. I think we can all agree that seeing new models is more interesting than private business between companies.

This will enable us to produce a quality model based on the real thing and iron out some detail innaccuracy that has been noticed in other models of this class of locomotive.

Hope you've made a big list from this and other 'Western' related threads, because no-one has yet managed to deliver one without someone crying foul about an inaccuracy.

• RMweb Premium

I will just say that I'm pleased to hear that Dapol are proceeding with the Western project. Hopefully you will still be able to deliver the final models in 2011, but better to slip and get it right than not...

But please Dave, can you comment on the posts regarding the choice of names - I am one of many who will want to renumber, in my case a Maroon with SYP version, and would prefer a shorter name to overstick my choice of etched names and numbers and a loco with headboard clips - as others have stated D1029 never had them.

Hi there,

The choice of names is interesting.

My thoughts are this...............

We do exactly what we do in N gauge and just supply the locomotive un-named , with the nameplates (and number plates) in a bag in the box for customers to fit.This works very well in N and i hope it might in OO gauge too?

I dont see us doing anything else, unless i an totally wrong on this? let me know.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Guest dilbert

Dapol class 52 press release.

Hi everyone, please note the release below, it covers everything i think Dapol need to say on the issue. However, although there will obviously be speculation, i will not be answering anything on the situation that arose, but will of course answer any questions about the model if i can.

Thanks to all the support who have written to me privately by the way.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Press release 18.01.11

Due to an unforseen snag in aquiring the cad/cam's for the class 52 locomotive, we have decided to 'go our own way' and get the real locomotive laser scanned within 7 days. This will enable us to produce a quality model based on the real thing and iron out some detail innaccuracy that has been noticed in other models of this class of locomotive.

I do not have any specific interest in a Western but hopefully any misunderstandings that existed have been put to bed and will not rise from the nether regions of the manufacturing world, related to IP or commercial constraints... and therein lays some of the issues I have with duplication ...dilbert

• RMweb Premium

Hi there,

We do exactly what we do in N gauge and just supply the locomotive un-named , with the nameplates (and number plates) in a bag in the box for customers to fit.This works very well in N and i hope it might in OO gauge too?

I dont see us doing anything else, unless i an totally wrong on this? let me know.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

I'm not an N gauge modeller so not familiar with those models. In principle, I would have no problem with an OO gauge loco without numbers or nameplates attached, but scaled up in OO, transfers are helpful to ensure the etched plates are positioned correctly. I think another manufacturer prints the transfers very slighly too small to ensure they don't show up around the edges. But perhaps more important is the choice of loco - in the case of D1029 it is one of very few that never carried headboard clips of the front, so if you model D1029 correctly (i.e. without), you will be severely limiting the options for renumbering. All my choices would be excluded!

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

I think that is a good idea, people can use the name and number supplied or use a different name and number of their choice. But please please please(!) provide some clear, detailed (pref with pics) instructions outlining the position of the nameplates and numbers to allow easy application. The Bachmann instructions for the Class 70 nameplate seems to have caused confusion.

I am very excited at the prospect of the OO Western and hope Dapol nails it! A maroon syp (for show, such a classy livery) and a couple of run-down blue examples are planned. Hoping there will be a nice space for a speaker and sound chip too :)

Talking of run down examples, you should see the weathered sample of the 22 Mercig sent me....................wow.

It's at Model Rail at the moment for photography, before it goes to China to see if they can replicate the weathering reasonably cheapy (dont get our hopes up :) )

Now if we can do Westerns like this class 22 then it might be worth us producing some.:P

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

it would be good if they adopted this idea for all locos. as the only Hall that i want is bound not to come for a while.

They could do what Bachmann did with their class 57 or 37, 6 light dots on the body shell. The centre dots lined up with the middle of the plate and the other 4 were to make sure it was level.

Alistair

Hi Guys;

I have met a lot of people with models (avec separate nameplates) who run their locos bare....as the are a little under-confident of putting such finely etched components on to an £80ish model successfully. I have, in the past, helped a few friends out with this.

I can only hope that the background colours for the nameplates are correctly prepped too, as I was disappointed with the colour match on 67006 (Dave knows this and explained the problem). I'm sure that black or red backed nameplates should have nowhere near the same dramas.

Later;

STU in KNID/KIYK :D

Archived