Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

superb photos,  are you sure these are of a layout,  and not the real thing

Mark

I echo the above comment. Yesterday whilst researching in an effort to find out when 37043 was painted large logo I did a Google search for '37043 large logo'. This came up with a number of pictures which I looked at trying to find their date. One picture of 37043 was at WW and having clicked on it, it was a good 30 seconds before I realised that I was looking at WW and not the real thing!

• Like 1

Lovely stuff.

The trackwork would be real if it had more litter and debris scattered around...an old cycle frame or two, perhaps even an old washing machine? :O

BUT: When did an 03 get allocated to Haymarket? :no:

Lovely stuff.

The trackwork would be real if it had more litter and debris scattered around...an old cycle frame or two, perhaps even an old washing machine? :O

BUT: When did an 03 get allocated to Haymarket? :no:

Thanks Jeff. I've often thought about adding litter and debris, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Graffiti is another no-no. It's my world and I'm in charge!

As for the 03, well, that's most definitely a rule 1 purchase! 

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff. I've often thought about adding litter and debris, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Graffiti is another no-no. It's my world and I'm in charge!

As for the 03, well, that's most definitely a rule 1 purchase! 

Cheers

Dave

Quite right Dave - it would be case of modelling what folk think should be there rather than what was actually there! Maybe the odd bit of litter blown in from Princes St. Gardens but graffiti was rarely seen and as for a washing machine...?  Look at all the photo's of that section and you would struggle to find anything but track / ballast/ signals/traction & rolling stock.  So please keep it as it is and don't spoil it!

• RMweb Premium

Quite right Dave - it would be case of modelling what folk think should be there rather than what was actually there! Maybe the odd bit of litter blown in from Princes St. Gardens but graffiti was rarely seen and as for a washing machine...?  Look at all the photo's of that section and you would struggle to find anything but track / ballast/ signals/traction & rolling stock.  So please keep it as it is and don't spoil it!

Well said Bob. Definitely no graffiti or litter at HA in 1979 - 80. Edinburgh wasn't that sort of place. ED on the other hand...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The mk3s look amazing. I have to admit, I’m surprised you’re using tension locks still. Thought you would have used something else

Thanks marcyg. The simple reason I'm still using tension locks is that they work well in both push and pull mode both around curves and through crossovers. I've fitted a spacer to the outside of the coupling itself which keeps the coaches sufficiently far apart not to interlock around curves.

I may well look into changing them at some point in the future, but they're not a priority as I don't think they are very obvious. Basically, it's an ongoing incremental project to improve them in stages, like all my other stock really. I like to have all my stock to roughly the same standard, rather than some that are superdetailed and some that haven't had much done on them.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again folks,

Another new development on WW is the addition of station announcements, taken from Youtube and played on a mobile phone. All you need to do is ignore the "First Scotrail" bits and the like and any references to stations which were not open or served from Waverley during the 80s.

Here, a 122/108 DMU combination departs Platform 19 for Fife...

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 12

Hi again folks,

Another new development on WW is the addition of station announcements, taken from Youtube and played on a mobile phone. All you need to do is ignore the "First Scotrail" bit and any references to stations which were not open in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4OHorsY2b4

Cheers,

Dave

So Waverley East is no more- an unexpected move in March this year meant it had to be dismantled and it is all now a collection of memories and boxes

One thought I id have is that managing a huge layout single handed is going to be too much for one person, so a big rethink is due. That said I found myself changing trains at Waverley on Thursday/Friday, and then this popped inyo the mail and I found mysel o cue again captured by the effect of this amazing model

The occurrence of a broken rail between Perth and Aberdeen, combined with a signalling fault in the North Haymarket tunnel made for a very interest and intense set of running

Seeing WWin action, and thinking of a similar set of circumstances, added to the delights of Stirling station has started the mind whirring...

Thanks for re-igniting the flame, and keep up the excellent work

• Like 1

Hi again folks,

Another new development on WW is the addition of station announcements, taken from Youtube and played on a mobile phone. All you need to do is ignore the "First Scotrail" bits and the like and any references to stations which were not open or served from Waverley during the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4OHorsY2b4

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

I must admit I do like that a lot. If your layout wasn't atmospheric enough that brings in yet another dimension to the realism.

Nice touch indeed.

My lad, when he does the videos for PDW, has some pretty good editing software where he can cut chunks of sound out or add bits in. Not sure what it's called as I'm not that computer savvy. But I would have thought it could be used to cut out the unwanted bits of announcements. I'll ask him later what the softwares called.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very familar, Dads former place of work top left, Younger sisters place of work Imediately behind you across The Mound (rd), older sisters place place of work, turn right  walk a bit then right again walk another half mile.

• Like 2

So Waverley East is no more- an unexpected move in March this year meant it had to be dismantled and it is all now a collection of memories and boxes

One thought I id have is that managing a huge layout single handed is going to be too much for one person, so a big rethink is due. That said I found myself changing trains at Waverley on Thursday/Friday, and then this popped inyo the mail and I found mysel o cue again captured by the effect of this amazing model

The occurrence of a broken rail between Perth and Aberdeen, combined with a signalling fault in the North Haymarket tunnel made for a very interest and intense set of running

Seeing WWin action, and thinking of a similar set of circumstances, added to the delights of Stirling station has started the mind whirring...

Thanks for re-igniting the flame, and keep up the excellent work

Thanks Peter,

So sorry to hear of the demise of Waverley East. Maintaining a large layout is never easy for one person. I have had frustrating times with WW in the past. Long trains with relatively sharp curves don't help either of course and keeping rolling stock axles well lubricated is important. I've managed to reduce the problems quite a lot by switching from my old ZTC DCC system and Peco solenoid point motors to an ECoS controller and Cobolt point motors. Both are far more reliable and make for much more enjoyable running sessions these days. Generally running fixed formation trains helps too.  

Stirling would be good and I've always liked Perth station too. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you to see you back on here with a layout thread again soon!

Cheers

Dave