RMweb

Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Five Westerns were built without headboard clips. The other 69 were built with them. So why choose D1026 as the identity of the weathered model when it is one of the five which never had the clips?

Geoff Endacott

I think it's called sod's law....

In Dapol's defense, this kind of research is harder than it looks. I have been helping the NGS with their Collett full brake and it took several of us quite a lot of research to nail down the details and livery variations. That is just for a single model. Dapol have dozens of models in their range. Like it or not, they are not experts on the detail variations of every single one. These errors are often only obvious in hindsight.

Great! Very useful to know. D1005 shall become D1011. And I'll sell the D1005 plates on eBay...

It seems I jumped on a bandwagon without realising as I purchased my 1011 plates a couple of months ago from Brian... but my "glory" has yet to be worked on. 

• Like 1

In Dapol's defense, this kind of research is harder than it looks. I have been helping the NGS with their Collett full brake and it took several of us quite a lot of research to nail down the details and livery variations. That is just for a single model. Dapol have dozens of models in their range. Like it or not, they are not experts on the detail variations of every single one. These errors are often only obvious in hindsight.

A single photograph of their chosen prototype would have been the only necessary research.

Geoff Endacott

Thanks, I took a look. Interesting that D1002 Western Explorer's withdrawal is stated on that thread as 29-01-74, Wikipedia shows October 1976::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Rail_Class_52_locomotives

If the 1974 date Rugd1022's thread is the correct one, then the Dapol blue D1005 Western Venturer will not work for renaming to D1002 Western Explorer as surely the Talisman clips would not have been fitted to D1002 before wihdrawal? In which case renaming the Dapol maroon D1012 Western Firebrand (which doesn't have the clips) to D1002 Western Explorer would work.

That being the case I'll probably rename the Dapol BR blue D1005 Western Venturer to D1011 Western Thunderer, the latter not being withdrawn until October 1975 - so I would image the Talisman clips would have been fitted to that loco? 

[Edited to reflect correct number for D1012 Western Firebrand - originally stated D1023]

I wouldn't pay much attention to Wiki if I were you!

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

Wiki lists D1011/46/67 as all scrapped at Swindon

But they will all be at the GWR Diesel gala this weekend!

And theres a rumour a golden ochre D1015 may be arriving soon.....

Hee hee

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

Cheltenham Model Centre have changed their webpage to:

1015 has arrived and are being tested for despatch from Monday

Cant wait for mine :)

Or they can be collected from the shop or CMC stand at Glos & Warwicks  Railway Diesel gala at Toddington from saturday.

• RMweb Gold

Or they can be collected from the shop or CMC stand at Glos & Warwicks  Railway Diesel gala at Toddington from saturday.

You sir are a cad and a bounder! Putting temptation in the way of us poor impoverished modellers.....

Hee hee

OK I give in! Put mine on the van please.....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I even like the box!!

The empty boxes will probably be appearing on eBay within the next few days.

Geoff Endacott

Jimbo did the box design - he will appreciate the comments, thanks!

Phil

I'm sure the cause of the lighting problems has already been mentioned in this thread, (But I'm not trawling 110 pages to find it)

The issue is with the lighting board.   There is no overload protection, so if a short circuit occurs, the integrated circuit on the board starts to overheat.

I experienced this on the layout in the shop - the loco derailed and the leading bogie crossed the rails, causing a short.  Bang go the lights.

This is a consistent and repeatable problem.

The LEDs themselves are not affected as they are protected by their resistors, but the Integrated circuit that controlls them, is ruined.

Putting a DCC chip in fixes the issue (Which is why no-one running DCC has a problem) so you should have no concerns buying the model if you are running digital.

But, the circuitry should be right in the first place.

I did write to Dapol about this, when Richard was experiencing his problems, suggesting what I believed the cause of the problem to be, but got no response.

I'm having similar silly problms with the lighting in their N gauge HSTs (Works fine on DCC but not on analogue)

The model might look fabulous (and it does) and may be the most accurate ever, but it can only be a great model if the whole package (Electrics and mechanicals included) inside and out, is of the same quality.

I have thirteen Dapol n-gauge Western's & have recently had one to DCC supplies for repair to defective end lighting in one direction but I have now discovered another has the same fault which I've only had a few weeks so I tested the rest & found another five were faulty, that's over half in less than a year, I'm sure these haven't all derailed! PS I have several class 22's & class 35's that don't seem to suffer the same problem! 

Having now taken delivery of the latest blue weathered issue (Centurian) and put it through its paces on DCC I cautiously make the following observations, in the context of somewhat patchy quality of the first releases:-

There seems to me to be a general improvement in QC. Body screws on mine at least all properly threaded, with none overtightened. Not a hint of wheel wobble and bogie clearance when swivelling looks and feels to be completely unimpeded, wheels all sitting square to a flat surface underneath.  Running over my code 75 points seems ok, shock/horror!

Now these are only initial impressions, but just maybe some new QC measures have indeed been incorporated into the manufacture of this great model, as rumoured earlier.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wish those pictures of the CMC 1015 had not been posted. It looks so nice, I've had to order one.

Just as well there is plenty of overtime at work, as I'll need to fit it with DCC sound when it comes.

Mr Colin K .

, Cheltenham M.C. will send the model away prior to purchase for sound fitting at Howes of Oxford for an addition of 100 notes, a good saving on their usual price plus no extra tooing and froing postal expenses . The Howes sound is superb no doubt in my mind the best rendition so far of a class 52, the horn noises are bang on  

• Like 1

Seriously considering one of these fantastic models.

Am I right in thinking that D1015 does not have details to be correct for the preserved Champion, but D1023 does for the preserved Fusilier?

Any help on which details are correct/incorrect would be good.

Thanks

Edited by G-BOAF

Mine arrived today, fab, had to flick one end of one of the plates off and re-apply some adhesive as it was buldging, but I'm very pleased with it...

Considering I'm a modern image modeller it's my third...

Takes me back to standing on the steps of Teignmouth Signal Box where my uncle Jim worked...