Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

I received my Maroon version today, can confirm it is supplied with D1018 Western Buccaneer plates and it is the standard maroon model with the yellow battery box catches. It is my first Dapol Western and it looks impressive, but as it is an exclusive to London Transport Museum, I was hoping the name and number plates would be fitted and also the roof lifting rings.

Still very happy with the deal though, £78.99 including postage and delivered on a Sunday!

D1018 arrived today, Shawplan Buccaneer plates not fitted, probably just as well as the model has Talisman clips, incorrect for D1018. No worry, for £75 will change identity to a 1975-77 survivor. Excellent value of course.

Managed to pick mine up from the museum today (I had to ask nicely - it's officially a web-only offer and suspect there were very few physically in the shop) along with a  25% off EFE Northern Line 59 stock set (which was available in the museum shop in quantity).

I normally renumber combined with the comments above it's a bonus that the numbers aren't fitted. It was a bit of an impulse, as it has little to do with the Eastern region but might be OK on the Club's "Empire Mills" - next step to research which is the best number to go for. And order the Ultrascale EM wheels which are almost as much as the loco!

Oh and the boys had a great time in the museum itself, good Sunday afternoon entertainment.

[edited when I found the name plate etchings hidden deeper in the foam].

Edited by tc

So the LTM western is not really a limited edition, they just got own stickers on the box and swapped nameplates with there own choice,

But then many limited editions are no more than a change of number, just in the case of this model you do not get any printed names or numbers on it. The fact that its the late battery clips body is just another example of Dapols continual incompetence in getting details or livery right for a particular model.

But then many limited editions are no more than a change of number, just in the case of this model you do not get any printed names or numbers on it. The fact that its the late battery clips body is just another example of Dapols continual incompetence in getting details or livery right for a particular model.

In that case I suggest that you had better set up your own company which, naturally, will do everything perfectly.

Sometimes I really wonder if some of the humans on this planet actually have any concept of reality.

• Like 1

Advantages of numbers on plates and so few liveries, and other western limited eds have roof rings fitted.

My main gripe with Dapol is that they have two different bodies but don't always get the right body for the chosen model. I would find it much easier to accept if all bodies had new clips or they all had old ones - but they don't. Why go to the expense of making two different body mouldings if you are not going to use them for the appropriate models?

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

Well.  After being assaulted at work on Friday, spending the weekend in bed unwell (not related to Friday) and having my iPhone die on me today I have decided I need cheering up.  One maroon 52 will be part of that process albeit they won't deliver to Oz and it has to await my arrival back in the UK.  I'm not sure yet which name / number combination it will carry though the clips might have to go.  As with the rest of my fleet once the decision os made on identity a set of Fox plates will be obtained.  The first diesel-hydraulic in my fleet destined to never run at Penhayle Bay.  Mixed feelings there.

In that case I suggest that you had better set up your own company which, naturally, will do everything perfectly.

Sometimes I really wonder if some of the humans on this planet actually have any concept of reality.

Mistakes do occur but its a  near constant theme with Dapol. The barking mad colours and fonts on the OO 73s, wrong numbers on some SR/BR(SR) N CCT for the body style modelled (and the constant churning out of fictitious LMR maroon ones while never producing a BR(SR) crimson one), the crazily wrong lining on a BR(WR) 4575 which caused them to withdraw the model from retail sale, getting Mk3s mixed up (buffer  fitted v non buffer fitted), marketing BR black 14xx with maroon autotrailers  and BR lined green 14xx with cream/crimson autotrailers....

All manufacturers have fallen foul of this (think Hornby A4 lamp Irons on the Great Gathering, L-handrail on cab of preserved Castle 5043, ATC bracket cut outs on Castle 4079). I'm sure Bachmann have examples.

The problem is designing models with detailed variations, and then either future office staff not putting in the right tool spec, or the factory not taking care.

With respect to this western, I can see for many it will be annoying, but for me as a preservation modeller, and for a model so easy to renumber, I'm thrilled... :-p

Any pictures of these models and packaging? (won't get my hands on mine for a few days at least)

EDIT: For those wanting an 'in service' model - can a replacement lower valance with earlier clips be obtained as a spare?

I note that the Maroon model is now sold out, but the Blue version is still in stock.

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

Class 47 underframe tanks/boxes come to mind with Bacchy - But much better of late

These things are booby traps for the unwary!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Whether it's actually D1018 or D1019, they've managed to pick from the early vacuum brake casualties without the later battery box clips - so the blue one has limited renumbering options.

........which is why I got a maroon one......

:sungum:

So I appear to have received something altogether different from the LTM museum sale.

I ordered the D1018 in Maroon, Ive double checked, and also cross referenced the invoice, that it's correct, but I have received a D1018 in Blue. (indeed the box is all labeled as D1018 in Blue).

I see now D1019 in Blue has changed to D1018 on their website, did anyone get a D1019, or was it a typo and it's D1018 in Blue or Maroon ?

Edited by adb968008

So I appear to have received something altogether different from the LTM museum sale.

I ordered the D1018 in Maroon, Ive double checked, and also cross referenced the invoice, that it's correct, but I have received a D1018 in Blue. (indeed the box is all labeled as D1018 in Blue).

I see now D1019 in Blue has changed to D1018 on their website, did anyone get a D1019, or was it a typo and it's D1018 in Blue or Maroon ?

Just received my maroon one. Looks like a despatch error on yours

Both 1018, was a typo, I've one of each.

• RMweb Premium

And good luck with the rings.  

I managed one - with a little allowance for middle-aged dexterity (lack of) - which was from one of the first releases.  I have tried three more since all of which have resulted in rings being much harder to remove from the sprue than the first time around, pinging into the void and never being seen again.  I can live with one or two missing, if discreetly not placed, but gave up after losing five rings from one sprue.

Other results are available.

The main reason I went to Warley.

I had found out that the Kernow weathered Westerns had all the lifting eyes already attached and at Warley last year, to my great delight, they were being sold for £99.99 (£60.00 off the normal price). This year I hoped for the same deal and was duly rewarded. As one of the professional builders and painters at our club has said that he would probably charge £40.00 just to fit them (they are that much of a pain) then buying the weathered model removes a lot of hassle or additional payment.

Another club member has one of Dapol's own weathered Westerns so this may also be an easier means of having the eyes fitted to the model.

• Like 2

....good luck with the rings.  

I managed one - with a little allowance for middle-aged dexterity (lack of) - which was from one of the first releases.  I have tried three more since all of which have resulted in rings being much harder to remove from the sprue than the first time around, pinging into the void and never being seen again.  I can live with one or two missing, if discreetly not placed, but gave up after losing five rings from one sprue.

I haven't got round to attaching "Western Courier" plates, never mind the lifting rings! No headcodes either. Mine's also an early release maroon (D1029) that I bought from Trains4U to see what all the fuss was about, then rewheeled to P4. It has since done a few hours running on the NLG test track, but is now waiting for someone - anyone - to come out with a sprung bogie kit. Very good model; lamp brackets are very fragile, though.

It's probably been mentioned before, but, if you weave a bit of thin wire or cotton through the lifting rings whilst still on the fret, then they don't go into orbit.

....and you could use the same system to apply a line of rings in one hit.
Edited by Horsetan

Thank you for that – it makes me feel a lot better after having read all the postings by the highly skilled. I don’t think I’ve swallowed any.